Sponsored

Genesis Off-Road Dual Battery Kit

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
much appreciated. yeah, I had used google search as well.
Did you ever hear anything back from them on this? I'm sure we would all love to hear their response regarding the Odyssey battery charging issues.
Sponsored

crbrenny

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Sting Grey; 2021 JLR Gecko
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
What’s the verdict, do you have to disconnect the IBS, put it on the other battery?? Close to pulling the trigger on this but want to be sure I understand any/all risks.

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
What’s the verdict, do you have to disconnect the IBS, put it on the other battery?? Close to pulling the trigger on this but want to be sure I understand any/all risks.
I don't believe the IBS will reach the other battery without splicing into the stock cable to relocate it. And even if you did so, I don't know if anyone has actually tried this yet to see if it solves the charging issues.

I kind of doubt it would, since the two batteries get connected together within about 5 minutes of starting the vehicle anyway. So the voltage would be the same while the vehicle is running.

Last edited:

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I don't believe the IBS will reach the other battery without splicing into the stock cable to relocate it. And even if you did so, I don't know if anyone has actually tried this yet to see if it solves the charging issues.

I kind of doubt it would, since the two batteries get connected together within about 5 minutes of starting the vehicle anyway. So the voltage would be the same while the vehicle is running.
I think the IBS cable originates from the body bolt by the negative terminal of the rotated main battery, so it should reach (too long actually).

The IBS also measures current into and out of the battery it's connected to, and not the other battery. That's why it's connected directly to the terminal of the battery and then the battery cable connects to it. This way, the IBS see's all the power going into or out of the battery and can evaluate the status of the battery based on that. Installing the IBS on the accessory battery does not provide accurate information on the status of the main battery.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Mine has been around the mid 14 volt range for the past year that I have been watching. It's not because of bad batteries, it's because of short trips. If I take a long trip, the voltage will go down for a few days, but it eventually goes back up.
Jerry:

Would you mind explaining the above to me as I admit confusion. I would think that on long trips, with the alternator having ample time to run, it would produce more power than that being drawn from your batteries (3.6L?) to run things on the rig, for a net charge.

...and that conversely, under short trips, the relative frequency of battery power stripping engine cranks, relative to less "engine on time" for the rig, for the alternator to charge things back up, would adversely affect battery voltage over time.

I'm missing something or making bad assumptions as you seem to have described the opposite voltage affects with trip duration.

Thank you sir.

Sponsored

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Jerry:

Would you mind explaining the above to me as I admit confusion. I would think that on long trips, with the alternator having ample time to run, it would produce more power than that being drawn from your batteries (3.6L?) to run things on the rig, for a net charge.

...and that conversely, under short trips, the relative frequency of battery power stripping engine cranks, relative to less "engine on time" for the rig, for the alternator to charge things back up, would adversely affect battery voltage over time.

I'm missing something or making bad assumptions as you seem to have described the opposite voltage affects with trip duration.

Thank you sir.
The ESS system robustly charges the batteries to ensure adequate charge is available to stop/start. My 15 minute drives to and from work do not give it charging confidence, so it keeps the charging voltage high for those trips. If I make a long trip, then the running charging voltage levels will be lower for a time afterwards due to the extended charging. This lower running charging voltage is the same effect reported by people for a time after trickle charging the batteries,

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I like the dual battery conceptually. But I'm not keen on their disconnect logic. If I understand their logic as posted on their website, they keep both batteries connected until voltage of the combined batteries drops to 12.7v, then it disconnects them, leaving you to run down the vehicle connected battery, potentially to zero, and having a partially discharged battery with 12.7v to start your jeep to save your ass. Why the hell didn't they just disconnect the reserve battery on shutdown? Then you have a fully charged battery to save your bacon. When your batteries get old, you'll want more margin for starting in the middle of no where, potentially in extreme cold, in the middle of BumF#!(Egypt, where an old battery with 12.7v may not cut it. So, you go out there and run your refrigerator and blast your rock and roll music, with a battery system that will likely run you north of $1k, then find out it ain't all it's cracked up to be? I dunno...seems like a full reserve battery is more important than another hour of rock and roll. For now, I'm just carrying a $100 jump pack.

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I like the dual battery conceptually. But I'm not keen on their disconnect logic. If I understand their logic as posted on their website, they keep both batteries connected until voltage of the combined batteries drops to 12.7v, then it disconnects them, leaving you to run down the vehicle connected battery, potentially to zero, and having a partially discharged battery with 12.7v to start your jeep to save your ass. Why the hell didn't they just disconnect the reserve battery on shutdown? Then you have a fully charged battery to save your bacon. When your batteries get old, you'll want more margin for starting in the middle of no where, potentially in extreme cold, in the middle of BumF#!(Egypt, where an old battery with 12.7v may not cut it. So, you go out there and run your refrigerator and blast your rock and roll music, with a battery system that will likely run you north of $1k, then find out it ain't all it's cracked up to be? I dunno...seems like a full reserve battery is more important than another hour of rock and roll. For now, I'm just carrying a $100 jump pack.
12.7V is practically fully charged. I doubt you will ever have trouble starting the jeep from that.

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Installed the Genesis system last week, and finished buttoning everything up today. The engineering is solid, and the install was a breeze.

I've described the look as controlled chaos! ;)

Thought I'd try cleaning up the wiring a bit. Below is a before/and after image of what the setup looks like with everything wire loomed. I kinda like the look now, what do y'all think?

Before:
Gensis - Before.jpeg

After:
20200404_161637.jpg

Sponsored

sandygar4

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon
I have one of these dual battery kits coming. Any one have any experience with one on the 2.0 turbo?

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR MetalCloak 2.5F/3.5R, LoD Bumper/Carrier.
Installed the Genesis system last week, and finished buttoning everything up today. The engineering is solid, and the install was a breeze.

I've described the look as controlled chaos! ;)

Thought I'd try cleaning up the wiring a bit. Below is a before/and after image of what the setup looks like with everything wire loomed. I kinda like the look now, what do y'all think?

Before:
Gensis - Before.jpeg

After:
20200404_161637.jpg
Very nice work Michael.
Can I ask what this module is:
upload_2020-4-29_18-5-50.png

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR MetalCloak 2.5F/3.5R, LoD Bumper/Carrier.
I have the same setup on my 3.6. It gets rid of that small battery. Its not really a mess at all, very simple setup. I have a winch solenoid on top that works very well.

IMG_0859.JPG
Love the fact that the (WARN?) solenoid for the winch fits the genesis mounting holes. Was wondering where I should move my winch solenoid if I installed the dual battery. This answered it, thanks.

Flyslinger2

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara
I'm a neophyte when it comes to electricity. *BUT* with some guidance I usually figure it out *AND* do a great job incouding fit anf finish.

Can you enlighten me as to how the busbar works? Where vehicle power is applied and how you match up + and - of each device on it?

If you ever need help with IT related things happy to reciprocate! LOL
Sponsored