First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JW JL Willys, 7 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired Military
Yesterday I bought a 20 Unlimited Willys with a hardtop V6 and said no to a soft-top V4.

Was that a mistake for Wisconsin? Salesgirl wasn't very outgoing and I understand that the soft-top was either open or closed. Did I miss something? Now knowing that they're accessories for the tops?
Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Yesterday I bought a 20 Unlimited Willys with a hardtop V6 and said no to a soft-top V4.

Was that a mistake for Wisconsin? Salesgirl wasn't very outgoing and I understand that the soft-top was either open or closed. Did I miss something? Now knowing that they're accessories for the tops?
Soft top would be fine in Wisconsin. It’s down to preference. I love my premium soft top.

Please read these. This topic has already been well covered:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/soft-top-only-in-northern-climate.1641/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/running-a-soft-top-all-winter.17051/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/soft-top-in-winter.13068/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/premium-soft-top-winter-ice-a-problem.37234/
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/premium-soft-top-winter-ice-a-problem.37234/
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ave-their-soft-top-on-for-cold-seasons.37525/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/snow-with-soft-top.18416/

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic

V4???

OP
OP
lance77tour

lance77tour

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JW JL Willys, 7 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired Military
4 cyl turbo

Sponsored

CallMeJoe

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Wi. owner here. Love my soft top year round. Wouldn't have a hardtop. JL softtop is so much better than my JK softtop.

jrohan07

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GCM 2018 JLUS Firecracker Red

Very nice Jeep choice with HT. Bestop makes a sunrider for JL and makes the Jeep a Hybid to run year round. Best of both for me.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
I got dual tops. I personally knew I would not go topless nearly as much with a hardtop year round. For me that is the whole point owning a jeep. A hard top is not as easy to remove and if it rains while out your fucked.

yell03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
My last JL was a 4 door hardtop, I hardly ever took off the freedom tops much less everything.
This time I got a 2 door soft top and I am constantly flipping the soft top back like a huge open sunroof.
Honestly I don't know if I will remove the whole top all that often, but it is nice to know how easy it is to do.

Sponsored

TheWingman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JLUR
I had both and in the end decided the hard top was best. Easy enough to remove with a diy strap setup in garage and much less heat and noise transmission.

Yngwie

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Sarge Green JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Nice purchase with your Willys. Looks good.

I personally prefer the soft top, having lived in WI with first a YJ, then a TJU, both with only soft tops. Now in Chicago with a soft top-only JLUR. The noise and heat are surprisingly not very different between a hard top and a soft top, with some people reporting the premium soft top is quieter than the stock hard top.

The only problem you will have is if you remove it and want some cover, such as when it rains or if you want to lock your Willys when out and about. With the soft top, you can just flip it back up, which you cannot do when the hard top is at home.

As mentioned, you can always get an aftermarket Best Top soft top, so you can get one if you later decide you want one.

Nice thing about getting a Jeep with the hard top is it is already wired for the wiper, heated window, etc. If you get the soft top only, it won't have the wiring should you later decide to get the hard top.

TravisRogers

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
I have both and it really is preference. The hardtop is more tame when it’s on. It’s a lot quieter and I generally like the look better. But I hardly take it off because it’s too much work. That’s why...

...I use the soft top in the summer. Only thing about the soft top when it’s down, it’s so bulky. It doesn’t feel as open as having no top. It’s like a giant neck pillow that wraps around the back and sides.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
...Salesgirl wasn't very outgoing and I understand that the soft top was either open or closed. Did I miss something? Now...accessories for the tops?
Since you were there, you had the best vantage point of whether or not her soft top was open or closed. As far as what you missed, it may have been the opportunity, especially if she was a cutie. And I’m not sure what you mean by accessories for the tops? Were you there to buy a Wrangler or consult her on her tops and fashion sense?

:CWL: I kid, I kid!

As everyone has already mentioned, aftermarket soft tops varieties are readily available after the fact. Congratulations on the new Wrangler!!!

Northern88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler jl 2 dr
I live just outside Detroit, Michigan so I was very paranoid of buying a soft top for security reasons. After removing the hardtop once and going on a long drive and then having to drive back on the highway in 40 degree temps with no top... I vote both. I like the security of the hardtop but will be buying a soft top for the summer months just because of convenience. If I keep just the hardtop I will get sick of removing it and worrying about rain/ travel distance/ leaving it uncovered overnight. I guess this is a good time to ask what the best/ least expensive option there is for an aftermarket softtop?
Sponsored