Sponsored

Recommendations: Winch Plate + Winch for Stock Steel Bumper?

Winch Plate + Winch (Pick 1 plate + 1 winch)

• JCR

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • Rusty's

Votes: 15 11.0%
  • Maximus-3

Votes: 23 16.9%
  • Rugged Ridge

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • WARN (plate)

Votes: 58 42.6%
  • LoD

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other (plate - add to comments)

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • Quadratec Stealth (winch)

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • Smittybilt (list model in comments)

Votes: 26 19.1%
  • WARN (list model in comments)

Votes: 54 39.7%
  • Other (winch - add to comments)

Votes: 3 2.2%

• Total voters

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
Very nice setup! I'm thinking of the Smitty as well for the factory steel bumper. What bar is that you've got mounted?
JCR Offroad (https://www.jcroffroad.com/product/JLHR-B-PC.html). I was buying their bumper skid and winch plate during Black Friday and added this since they had such a good sale going on. Perfect fit. Took less than a minute to install. I like it because it's not really tall and forward but not really small, either.

javelina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB "Saharacon", 2006 Wrangler TJ, 2018 F-150 RCSB 4x4

slimfl08

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Ocean Blue Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
@IronScott Do you still have the factory rope on that winch? If so, how did you remove the hook to install the Factor 55 flatlink?

slimfl08

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Ocean Blue Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Hey all, I'm planning on adding a winch next and looking for recommendations. I have the stock steel bumper. Looking to find the right mounting plate and winch combo.

Right now, I'm looking at the @Quadratec Stealth + the @Rugged Ridge plate, but I'm open to suggestions. Price isn't an issue - but that said - I'm not going to just buy the most expensive thing just for the sake of getting 'the best'.

If you've installed a winch on the stock steel bumper, comment with the plate and winch used. Thanks!
I went through ATP and the mount fit perfect! Good design and beefy. I have read flex issues with some of the cheaper plates. As for the winch I picked up the Smitty X20 10K with synthetic rope through @Northridge4x4 for a great deal!

Sponsored

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
@IronScott Do you still have the factory rope on that winch? If so, how did you remove the hook to install the Factor 55 flatlink?
Yes, I do. I used a cutoff tool to slice a chunk out of the hook and was able to get the loop out. I goofed up, though, and cut a few strands of the rope on accident. I used a Factor 55 Fast Fid tool to repair the line. In hindsight, I could’ve just used the Fast Fid (or similar) to just cut the rope to remove if from the hook and re-splice it.

Splicing the rope is really easy. I was intimidated at first but it’s super easy, and the Fast Fid tool makes it quick - and it’s good to have on the trails anyway. This video shows how it works.

bw_jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
I was planning on going with the Stealth but the sale price on the Smitty X20 10K with synthetic rope was just too tempting to pass up ( $420 w free shipping from @Northridge4x4 ). It's a solid waterproof winch and the remote works both wired and wireless. The Warn plate is a solid mount and had no difficulty with bolting up. Really like the combo. I don't think you could go wrong with the Stealth winch though... I just wasn't willing to pay an additional $180 for the equivalent winch.

It's worth noting the Stealth has a 4.9 HP motor, and the Smitty has a 6.6 HP motor, though I don't know how much difference that would make in the real world.

IMG_1493.JPG
Hey TJ2018, how did you mount your front license plate? Do you recall where you ordered the bracket from? Thanks!

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase

gm920

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR Billet Silver
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician (Retired)
I was planning on going with the Stealth but the sale price on the Smitty X20 10K with synthetic rope was just too tempting to pass up ( $420 w free shipping from @Northridge4x4 ). It's a solid waterproof winch and the remote works both wired and wireless. The Warn plate is a solid mount and had no difficulty with bolting up. Really like the combo. I don't think you could go wrong with the Stealth winch though... I just wasn't willing to pay an additional $180 for the equivalent winch.

It's worth noting the Stealth has a 4.9 HP motor, and the Smitty has a 6.6 HP motor, though I don't know how much difference that would make in the real world.

IMG_1493.JPG
I like how low it sits inside the bumper, no clearance issues with the wiring? I am installing the same winch, but using Rusty's plate, that should be here tomorrow. Wanted one that did not space the bumper forward or use the frame horn bolt locations, as I am also installing the Currie Tow Bar Mounting Adapter which replaces the factory steel skid plate. The Bulldog plate also keeps the bumper in the original location.

Sponsored

gm920

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I saw someone mention the Bulldog plate on another site, I don't see it mentioned here at all, not sure if it is a worthy contender or not but maybe worth a look?
https://www.bulldogwinch.com/index....ct_id=341/category_id=31/mode=prod/prd341.htm
Yes, the Bulldog looks good for my purpose, one of only two aftermarket plates I have seen so far that does not move the bumper forward. The other is Rusty's Off Road Products, which it seems a lot have used to mount the SmittyBilt X2O. Have the X2O and Rusty's plate should be here tomorrow, should be an easy install.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
The Mopar winch plate costs a little more but if you can get a discount on it, I prefer it. I was able to get it for less than MSRP but still more than the Warn. However, I wanted a plate that mounts behind the frame/bumper mount instead of in front. Install was perfect. I like how tight it holds everything to the grill. I'd recommend if you want to spend a little more.

gm920

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The Mopar winch plate costs a little more but if you can get a discount on it, I prefer it. I was able to get it for less than MSRP but still more than the Warn. However, I wanted a plate that mounts behind the frame/bumper mount instead of in front. Install was perfect. I like how tight it holds everything to the grill. I'd recommend if you want to spend a little more.
The Mopar plate looks very heavy duty, maybe even a little overboard, but does look like a good one. Most aftermarket plates are +/- $200 or so, some around $250, Mopar MSRP is $425, guess they are real proud of it.

Aloha Offroad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392
Vehicle Showcase
I installed my winch this week. I used the Artec plate and the Warn VR10s winch. It was very easy and I highly recommend the combination.
F519CCBF-FB69-4978-9598-9872E961ECAE.JPG

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
The Mopar plate looks very heavy duty, maybe even a little overboard, but does look like a good one. Most aftermarket plates are +/- $200 or so, some around $250, Mopar MSRP is $425, guess they are real proud of it.
haha. yeah. they are REALLY proud of that thing. I was able to get from local dealer for I think 325$ or close to. I wanna say the warn that most run is like 250$ if memory serves me right. I was willing to try it for a little more. I will say the front and how it mounts is completely different than anything else I had looked at. I'm not engineer by any means, but it looks like under load it would pull against the actual frame instead of against the bumper bolts. I was willing to give it a try. Went on perfect with zero modification. Pretty happy with it.
Sponsored