Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2020 JL Willy's
Occupation
Canyon Independent School District
Vehicle Showcase
Just around 1500 miles on my 2020 jl willys and clutch pedal response is a head scratcher. The pedal feels sluggish some times slip it more than I'd like. Still getting used to it. Not really sure what to make about manual recall but for now it's just great being able to shift 6 gears instead of shifting into D and and that's it.
Sponsored

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have a sport (3.45’s) on 33’s. I’m thinking about regearing to 4.56 so I can get some use out of 5th & 6th gears more often.

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
I have a sport (3.45’s) on 33’s. I’m thinking about regearing to 4.56 so I can get some use out of 5th & 6th gears more often.
It really is a great investment, i have 4.56 on 35” tires and its amazing. Best money I’ve spent on the jeep.
I use the gears everyday I drive.

I don’t use steel bumpers, skids, lifts or 35s everyday. Those are only good to have offroad etc. You get my point

Punk'n Head

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jl Sport
love my manual trans. very smooth. hate the clutch. took me almost 10k.miles to get used to it. it still feels like its slipping, i hope when the recall comes out it gets replaced with something better. only other complaint i wish it had more power on the freeway, being in va im in a lot of hills. other then that love it.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
love my manual trans. very smooth. hate the clutch. took me almost 10k.miles to get used to it. it still feels like its slipping, i hope when the recall comes out it gets replaced with something better. only other complaint i wish it had more power on the freeway, being in va im in a lot of hills. other then that love it.
If it's your first manual, no big deal but if you've driven manual all your life, it's very hard to get used to this twin disc clutch. You have to feather entry into the first disc or else risk stalling out, but then once you get it engaged it only transfers about 25% engine power to the transmission, about 75% slippage.
Then there is a fair amount of pedal travel till you reach the 2nd disc. It's hard to be smooth because with so much slippage in the first disc you just can't tell actual engine load as you reach the 2nd engagement point. Easy to bog down, or surge which makes you feel like a rookie

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
If it's your first manual, no big deal but if you've driven manual all your life, it's very hard to get used to this twin disc clutch. You have to feather entry into the first disc or else risk stalling out, but then once you get it engaged it only transfers about 25% engine power to the transmission, about 75% slippage.
Then there is a fair amount of pedal travel till you reach the 2nd disc. It's hard to be smooth because with so much slippage in the first disc you just can't tell actual engine load as you reach the 2nd engagement point. Easy to bog down, or surge which makes you feel like a rookie
Thank you for this!! I've been driving stick for for 33 years but it's been about 20 since I had one as a daily driver. I thought I'd lost my touch but what you are describing is exactly what I see. There are days where if I'm not paying attention I look like a total rookie behind the wheel... lol.

Punk'n Head

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jl Sport
definitely not my first manual...... probably about the 6th one ive either owned or had access to drive. my cobalt w 250k on the clutch is better then the jeep one.

double0762

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2020 JL Willy's
Occupation
Canyon Independent School District
Vehicle Showcase
Let me ask. Do you use first or second to start from. 1st is definitely less clutch slippage but so short. 2nd takes more slippage but is more usable than first. It's hard to find the sweet spot. You think you've found it then you look like it's your first day of driving stick at times!

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
30k miles now and I couldn't be happier. I've got 4.10 ring/pinions and 315 KO2's and the engine pulls just fine. I tow a boat, too, and it still does fine. As time has passed, the engine has felt stronger and pulls 6th gear well enough above 60mph. Whenever I've thought about re-gearing, it has been from reading this forum. But then I go and drive it and wonder why I was thinking it. I think the clutch is fine, too. For me, the feel and takeup is just fine. I drive a JK Rubi manual back to back all the time and the clutches couldn't be more different. The takeup is right off the floor on the JL and on the JK it is at the opposite end. I still have no trouble adjusting back and forth. I've gotten completely used to it. Btw, the clutch and shift linkage are FAR superior to the JK. (I still enjoy the JK, though. Just a different animal.)

Btw, the auto downshifts just as much as you would in the manual, in the mountains. You just aren't doing it yourself. I prefer to do it myself. Each to his own.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Let me ask. Do you use first or second to start from. 1st is definitely less clutch slippage but so short. 2nd takes more slippage but is more usable than first. It's hard to find the sweet spot. You think you've found it then you look like it's your first day of driving stick at times!
On my Rubicon I used to take off in 2nd. After upgrading to 37s, 2nd became too tall but now I can take off nicely in 1st. Redline at about 18-20 mph

Sponsored

Fouts

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon Unlimited
With some of the clutch problems they are having, might not be a bad idea to use 1st. Eliminate as much of the slippage as possible. The engines or transmissions seem to need a bit of rpm's to work properly, find myself trying not to drop below 2k rpm

Rockywoolf

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon
I have a jlur on 37s, 5.13 gears and the clutch has never slipped and the gearing is awesome. Did I say the gearing was awesome? 1st gear is where I start off. I hear about these clutch problems but have not experienced anything of the sort, although I only have about 4K miles. I use all my gears and drop to 5th going over a mountain pass to Tahoe. Plenty of power, the only thing that worries me is the high temps, which I have had since day one. 230 just seems way too high for any engine. That is only when climbing a pass or sitting idle. The fan brings it way down but still, thankfully I have a warranty. Don’t be scared of the clutch, it’s your friend.

UtahRyder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
I have a jlur on 37s, 5.13 gears and the clutch has never slipped and the gearing is awesome. Did I say the gearing was awesome? 1st gear is where I start off. I hear about these clutch problems but have not experienced anything of the sort, although I only have about 4K miles. I use all my gears and drop to 5th going over a mountain pass to Tahoe. Plenty of power, the only thing that worries me is the high temps, which I have had since day one. 230 just seems way too high for any engine. That is only when climbing a pass or sitting idle. The fan brings it way down but still, thankfully I have a warranty. Don’t be scared of the clutch, it’s your friend.
Edit, I was wrong !
Good info to know, thanks

Last edited:

sanman357

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-*|||||||*- 19' Mojito! Rubicon 6-speed, 09' Ram TRX4, 67 Chevelle 300 Deluxe

Rockywoolf

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon
If you go above 4.88 you will need a tazer as the dealership cannot set above 4.88 for the gearing.
Sponsored