Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
For how much and for how long?
I was told lifetime no longer offered and hadn’t been for a longtime. I read others claiming that exists. Regardless, they were talking 100k. Told me just to keep extending prior to expiration. IDK how accurate that is.
Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
If I thought that a 3.0L diesel was better, I would have waited and bought a 2020, but it is not better, the use case does not match, I want nothing else to do with diesel emissions systems or the maintenance and that is why a 3.0L diesel is not in my Rubicon, not because it was not available in a 2019.
You love the diesel! No one hates on something this much without having envy.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
You love the diesel! No one hates on something this much without having envy.
Correction--I would love to love the diesel, but modern diesels are not for me or my use case. I certainly do not hate them (I know you are only teasing).

Reactions: GtX

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I was told lifetime no longer offered and hadn’t been for a longtime. I read others claiming that exists.
Lifetime MaxCare was discontinued on 12/1/18 which is a moot point for the 3.0 since it was only available on gas engines. Diesels were specifically excluded.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
I was told lifetime no longer offered and hadn’t been for a longtime. I read others claiming that exists. Regardless, they were talking 100k. Told me just to keep extending prior to expiration. IDK how accurate that is.
So they’re willing to cover emissions components for an extra 64,000 miles for how much money?

Sponsored

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
I d
So they’re willing to cover emissions components for an extra 64,000 miles for how much money?
I didn’t ask. If I get the diesel that’s being added. Will just be part of getting the best overall price on my search.

wrc777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
There will be multiple companies with ECU tunes allowing for deletes before the end of the year, barring a long term/complete meltdown of the world economy. There are other threads here discussing the companies which are already hard at work to supply the tunes. The quest is for better engine longevity, better mpg, better fuel range, better reliability, better exhaust sound or whatever combination therein which the individual desires.
EPA cracked down on the tuner companies. There is not likely to be a tune.

W6LK

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon EcoDiesel
I really love my diesel. I couldn't believe that I was able to get one. I was in the market to replace my 2012 Wrangler Rubicon JKU and joked about getting a diesel with the dealer. He said that one had arrived just 1/2 hour earlier - and I drove out with it. I have 2725 miles on it, and so far it has been flawless. My only complaint was that my knee must keep hitting the light switch - because I thought I had a ghost.

Back to the diesel part - awesome! Fun to drive, sounds cool, is loaded with tork. Going uphill with the diesel is like have a new set of low gears. Going down is the same as all other Jeeps.

The diesel is really shoe-horned into the engine compartment. I worry about the batteries and other equipment and how they might be affected by heat. I have a lot of Jeeps from Willys, Kaiser, AMC, and this thing - and they are all fun. Even though I have a cabin that is a 1/2 mile from the Tahoe entrance of the Rubicon - doubt I will drive this puppy through. I think I'll stick with my rock rigs. That being said, running desert, forest service trails, camping, fishing - this is the rig to have. It really just drives so nice!

This is not a diesel comment, but a JLU comment -- I find that the ride is superb offroad. Very comfortable. It is about the same off road as on road. That was a neat trick. Within hours of taking delivery, I was driving with my daughter in the nether regions of Death Valley and it was just a blast!

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel
EPA cracked down on the tuner companies. There is not likely to be a tune.
On the gen2 Ecodiesel Ram forum, GDE announced they will be releasing an epa-compliant tune for the Ram. I’ll try finding that message thread and post a link in this one. From memory I believe they said most of the running quality benefits would be there (like their original tune) but they can’t turn off the egr of course. They say their tune produces much less soot than fca’s gen2 tune, so although egr is still active, it’s not as bad as factory in that less soot is being produced, etc.

I’m hopeful they are working with the gen3 also. Before the crack down I spoke with them on the phone, asking about the diesel Wrangler. At that time they said a tune would be available 12-18mo after the diesel model became available. I’m sure attaining epa compliance will slow any tune release.

wrc777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Let me restate. There is not likely to be a tune that deletes egr, dpf, and urea which are three of the least reliable and most expensive parts of the engine to fix. The fuel system is also on that list but you cannot delete that. Fuel system replacement is probably more expensive than replacing a 3.6l engine.

Sponsored

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel
Let me restate. There is not likely to be a tune that deletes egr, dpf, and urea which are three of the least reliable and most expensive parts of the engine to fix. The fuel system is also on that list but you cannot delete that. Fuel system replacement is probably more expensive than replacing a 3.6l engine.
Yes, I agree. There may be tunes but definitely no deletes.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
I d

I didn’t ask. If I get the diesel that’s being added. Will just be part of getting the best overall price on my search.
You might have an induced cardiac arrhythmia when you see the price.

2020 Diesel JL

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 CJ3B Diesel, 2018 Camaro Hot Wheels Convertible, 2018 Dodge 3500 Diesel, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide White, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide Black, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
General Manager / Owner of CraneWorks Orlando
Vehicle Showcase
Just passing on my experiences with modern diesels so that the unknowing gets a glimpse into what they will typically face. I have owned them and will not own another. There is a reason that a 3.6L is under the hood of my Rubicon and not a 3.0L and the cost difference has nothing to do with it.

The fact that FCA does not offer an extended warranty on the emissions and everyone's answer to the potential issues with the emissions is "just delete them" speaks volumes about the 3.0L and modern diesels in general.
Your experiences are hearsay not known facts that YOU have experienced. Do you really think you get all the facts from reading what someone else that knows very little or nothing about the issue writes. I work on these systems EVERYDAY and I am still learning but I do know crap when I read it.
Sponsored

Last edited: