Upgrading to 8 inch Uconnect from 5 inch

First Name
Missouri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Jl
Vehicle Showcase
I own a 2018 JL Wrangler Sport, which I'm extremely happy with the only thing that bothers me is the radio I currently have in the car. I was wondering if upgrading to the 7-inch or 8.4-inch Uconnect from my current 5-inch uconnect. The reason I ask this because when you go to custom order a jeep on the website it doesn't have an option for the 7 or 8in displays. (please excuse me if this is not posted in the right spot its my first time posting on here)
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Many people have done it after the fact, only downside that I'm aware of is the volume control on the radio won't work but you can still use the steering wheel volume controls to adjust it. Also you need to have an unlock code to activate the new radio, seems like most that are for sale on this site come with them, otherwise you have to get the dealer on board :(

Marlon_JB2

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR, 2014 Dodge Dart GT
Occupation
Jeep Builder
Piece of cake swap, it only takes 5 minutes. The only downside is the loss of the volume/tune knobs. This is great if your passengers are always trying to control your radio. There's a whole thread about it in the uConnect section.

OP
OP
First Name
Missouri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Jl
Vehicle Showcase
Many people have done it after the fact, only downside that I'm aware of is the volume control on the radio won't work but you can still use the steering wheel volume controls to adjust it. Also you need to have an unlock code to activate the new radio, seems like most that are for sale on this site come with them, otherwise you have to get the dealer on board :(
why does the volume knob not work after the fact

Sponsored

JDoty47

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL
I upgraded to the 7 inch and it was simple. Im not a mechanic by any stretch but I did it just by watching YouTube videos.

OP
OP
First Name
Missouri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Jl
Vehicle Showcase
I upgraded to the 7 inch and it was simple. Im not a mechanic by any stretch but I did it just by watching YouTube videos.
was it worth it too you? and where did you get your unit from

JDoty47

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was it worth it too you? and where did you get your unit from
I think it was worth it. Having the Apple CarPlay and the navigation is worth it to me. I ordered it through Infotainment.com.

JDoty47

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think it was worth it. Having the Apple CarPlay and the navigation is worth it to me. I ordered it through Infotainment.com.
Also, if you deiced to go this route you can get it for 10% off if you are military (active or former). Or if you add it to your cart and leave it for a few days they will email you. I replied that I was trying to decide if the high price was worth it and they knocked 5 or 10% off. Cant remember which but its something

Marlon_JB2

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR, 2014 Dodge Dart GT
Occupation
Jeep Builder
Infotainment wants entirely too much money for a used radio. I'd rather just pay full price at the dealership for a NEW one. The radio self-learns, the only thing they do is provide the anti-theft code.

CMath23

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Infotainment wants entirely too much money for a used radio. I'd rather just pay full price at the dealership for a NEW one. The radio self-learns, the only thing they do is provide the anti-theft code.
I can attest to this. Though it’s not ideal, I bought a 7” from a 2018 Grand Cherokee. I had to dremel the bezel on the sides of the radio. There was not a FAKRA connector for the camera, but it was plug n play and has worked. I wish I knew where the heck the camera goes on an 18 Cherokee and see how I can use the JL one with it...but the 7”, despite all of that, is absolutely worth it
Sponsored