Ereanor

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 MazdaSpeed3
Hi All,

This is likely to be my last post in here as I came across a great deal on a JKUR that I couldn’t pass up.

I wanted to share a cheap ceiling mounted winch setup to easily remove your hard tops. I’m by no means an engineer, so if you see anything I can improve on please feel free to share.

Anyways I went to the trusty Harbor Freight and picked up a 1500# winch. It was right around $200. You can get one cheaper for around $70, but I opted for this one due to the plug and play with the power cord.
image3.jpeg

I went to Lowes due to the Home Depot having a line around its building with social distancing. I picked up some U Bolts. They fit perfectly through the mounting bracket on a diagonal.
image2.jpeg

image6.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image3 (1).jpeg

Use the U Bolts and a stud finder and mark the locations around a truss. Then chalk the lines.
image5 (1).jpeg

Use the mounting bracket as a template and mark then drill the holes around a truss.
image0 (1).jpeg

Then all you have to do is mount the winch to the truss, plug it into the outlet for the garage door opener, and proceed with caution.
image1.jpeg

image0.jpeg

B2C362EC-85E0-49B0-9FF8-1FF07FD3DF9E.jpeg

Hope this helps some people out.
Sponsored

Last edited:

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Hi All,

This is likely to be my last post in here as I came across a great deal on a JKUR that I couldn’t pass up.

I wanted to share a cheap ceiling mounted winch setup to easily remove your hard tops. I’m by no means an engineer, so if you see anything I can improve on please feel free to share.

Anyways I went to the trusty Harbor Freight and picked up a 1500# winch. It was right around $200. You can get one cheaper for around $70, but I opted for this one due to the plug and play with the power cord.
image3.jpeg

I went to Lowes due to the Home Depot having a line around its building with social distancing. I picked up some U Bolts. They fit perfectly through the mounting bracket on a diagonal.
image2.jpeg

image6.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image3 (1).jpeg

Use the U Bolts and a stud finder and mark the locations around a truss. Then chalk the lines.
image5 (1).jpeg

Use the mounting bracket as a template and mark then drill the holes around a truss.
image0 (1).jpeg

Then all you have to do is mount the winch to the truss, plug it into the outlet for the garage door opener, and proceed with caution.
image1.jpeg

image0.jpeg

Hope this helps some people out.
Great job Jon, you can still visit us and post. We're all Jeep people here. Jk, JL whatever.