Sponsored

Adding Sun Sensor and In-Cabin Sensor for Auto A/C

danny01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
This is the first write-up I've done here on the forums so feel free to message me if you have any questions. Ever since Joe added the ability to turn on Automatic Climate Control for those who upgraded to the 7-inch UConnect, there's been many of us who wondered how we could add the missing sensors to make the "Auto" feature work as intended. I've had these sensors installed on my Jeep since April of last year, and it thought I would share on here a detailed guide on how to do it.

Be warned, there's a lot of information on the guide itself so make sure to read all of it thoroughly before attempting anything. Make sure to familiarize yourself with the wording used as to not get confused later on. Basic electrical and wiring knowledge is need to do this install.

The guide covers those of you who have an existing sun sensor on their Jeeps as well as us who have the base model and do not.
Sponsored

Attachments

jgdiablo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe - Turbo Blue
Awesome write-up - thank you! Can you perhaps comment on which (2) screws you used to attach the in-cabin sensor?

ibtzn2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Excellent write-up!! I just upgraded my 2019 JLU Sport from the 5" UConenct3 to the 8.4 with Nav. Also upgraded the HVAC center stack to keep the volume/tuner knobs for the radio. Of course I was disappointed to find out my vehicle didn't have the C2 wiring harness and Infotainment doesn't mention this as a potential issue when ordering the HVAC center stack.

This write-up just saved me a tremendous about of hassle. I've already got the parts on order to build the C2 harness and the HVAC upgrade came with both the sun and In-cabin temperature sensors. My only question is about the dash cap for mounting the sun sensor. Your parts list show this part number 6GD97TX7AB, but when I pulled my dash cap (without the hole for the sensor), it has the exact same part number. Are there two different versions of this part with the same number?

jgdiablo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FYI - if anyone needs to Mopar screws for the in-cabin sensor, you'll need to purchase (2) 6101946 Tapping Hex Head Screw

jgdiablo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Danny - in your detailed explanation of how to do this, you note: " You’ll need to remove the driverside dash panels, the cluster, and the upper dash panel cap in order to route the sun sensor connector and wiring. " Just to confirm, can you describe or show a picture of the dash panel, the cluster, and the upper dash panel cap?

Sponsored

ibtzn2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Danny - in your detailed explanation of how to do this, you note: " You’ll need to remove the driverside dash panels, the cluster, and the upper dash panel cap in order to route the sun sensor connector and wiring. " Just to confirm, can you describe or show a picture of the dash panel, the cluster, and the upper dash panel cap?
I just completed this process a few weeks ago. I found it easy enough to only pull the stereo and HVAC controls. This provided enough access to the interior of the dash to pull the wire harness up from the floor board and over to the sensor. Sorry, didn't take any pictures. I will say having an old metal hanger or fiberglass rod (kind used for pulling cables through conduit) makes the job a little easier.

jgdiablo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just completed this process a few weeks ago. I found it easy enough to only pull the stereo and HVAC controls. This provided enough access to the interior of the dash to pull the wire harness up from the floor board and over to the sensor. Sorry, didn't take any pictures. I will say having an old metal hanger or fiberglass rod (kind used for pulling cables through conduit) makes the job a little easier.
That's perfect - I suspected the same thing, but wanted to hear from someone else that removing the radio and HVAC would allow enough cavity space to route the newly formed wiring harness to get to the sun sensor from the steering wheel area. Thanks again!

jgdiablo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FYI - I posted the following in another thread but figured my commentary makes sense to keep here too:

Interesting couple of ideas I can suggest that I just did while installing my wiring harness, the sun sensor, and the in-cabin temperature sensor.

1. according to the instructions, you have to feed the power to the temperature sensor via the the C1 connector - pink/green and black wires. There's so little space there to maneuver and I was really uncomfortable to tap into the C1 wiring harness. I couldn't even figure out how to disconnect the C1 connector to have a little bit more room. Here's what I did - since I purchased the Quadratec 12V accessory tap a while ago for my radar detector, what I did was run my power wires for the wiring harness to the accessory tap (right by the 12V in the center console) - works like a charm, just feeds off the accessory instead of ignition. I can't imagine the cabin sensor would have much of a draw during ACC mode.

2. Since I'm waiting for the dash cap 6GD99TX7AB (correct model number for the sun sensor version - not the '97'), I just left the sun sensor connected to the harness and left it in the footwell area, right near the in-cabin sensor. Obviously, it would keep thinking it's dark outside, but would it matter for the AUTO function? I don't have auto headlights, so what other purpose does it play? I suppose the question is - does it really need to be mounted in the dash or can it just stay connected and in complete darkness?

kjl2020

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler 2-Door
Clubs

FYI - I posted the following in another thread but figured my commentary makes sense to keep here too:

Interesting couple of ideas I can suggest that I just did while installing my wiring harness, the sun sensor, and the in-cabin temperature sensor.

1. according to the instructions, you have to feed the power to the temperature sensor via the the C1 connector - pink/green and black wires. There's so little space there to maneuver and I was really uncomfortable to tap into the C1 wiring harness. I couldn't even figure out how to disconnect the C1 connector to have a little bit more room. Here's what I did - since I purchased the Quadratec 12V accessory tap a while ago for my radar detector, what I did was run my power wires for the wiring harness to the accessory tap (right by the 12V in the center console) - works like a charm, just feeds off the accessory instead of ignition. I can't imagine the cabin sensor would have much of a draw during ACC mode.

2. Since I'm waiting for the dash cap 6GD99TX7AB (correct model number for the sun sensor version - not the '97'), I just left the sun sensor connected to the harness and left it in the footwell area, right near the in-cabin sensor. Obviously, it would keep thinking it's dark outside, but would it matter for the AUTO function? I don't have auto headlights, so what other purpose does it play? I suppose the question is - does it really need to be mounted in the dash or can it just stay connected and in complete darkness?
I just ordered all the parts, how did you come to the conclusion that the cap part number is 99 not 97? I want to change my order ASAP if that is the case...

jgdiablo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just ordered all the parts, how did you come to the conclusion that the cap part number is 99 not 97? I want to change my order ASAP if that is the case...
I ordered the 97 and it did NOT have the hole for the sun sensor. I called the online store to review the numbers and they confirmed 99 is the one that has the cutout. You can see the difference in the picture below - #17 vs #18. #17 is the 99, #18 is the 97.

Jeep Wrangler JL Adding Sun Sensor and In-Cabin Sensor for Auto A/C 1595430086468

Sponsored

kjl2020

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler 2-Door
Clubs

Interesting. Glad I stumbled upon this. They store was able to switch mine to the correct one prior to processing. Where did you purchase the materials to make the connectors? Everywhere I found, the pins are all out of stock.

jgdiablo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting. Glad I stumbled upon this. They store was able to switch mine to the correct one prior to processing. Where did you purchase the materials to make the connectors? Everywhere I found, the pins are all out of stock.
The item that's sold out from the shopping list can be replaced by item 15341542 from mouser.com - that's the one I just purchased and will use to make some more wiring harnesses.

kjl2020

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler 2-Door
Clubs

The item that's sold out from the shopping list can be replaced by item 15341542 from mouser.com - that's the one I just purchased and will use to make some more wiring harnesses.
Both sets of pins are sold out...which pins are replaceable by the item number you show?

jgdiablo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Both sets of pins are sold out...which pins are replaceable by the item number you show?
Mouser.com:
13654871 - in stock as of today
13782037 - in stock as of today
35088746 (replaces 13767047) - in stock as of today
15341542 (replaces 13580635) - in stock as of today

kjl2020

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler 2-Door