Sponsored

Baker6869

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon, 2018 JLU Sahara
Just want to report that 7” to 8.4” is very easy, plug and play. I have a JLUS. Everything works as expected. All climate, heated seats, heated steering, all work. Sirius works. Nav works. Nav directions show up in instrument cluster. Took about 5 minutes to swap out. No codes, nothing needed. Bought unit off ebay as a “take out”. Said out of Wrangler. When I first powered up screen flashed “Chrysler”. I was concerned - don’t want to see that every start up! After one power cycle “Jeep” came up and “Chrysler” disappearred forever.

One thing I’ll need to run to ground is Aux switches. I’ve installed, but not had dealer flash yet. Option 1: Attempt with dealer, see if they care or even notice... or if there is a problem. Option 2; Tazer JL

I’ll run for a few days make sure everything is ok, then I may sell 7” and bezel.

Concerned about warranty issues if something goes wrong. Obviously I can’t expect Jeep to cover an ebsy purchase. Another factor in decision to sell 7”. Hopefully someone will solve updates issue.

Also telematics don’t work, but I expected this. I’m ordering the autodim mirror when correct harness becomes available. Benny from AllMoparParts gave me the part number. That MAY make this possible, not sure.
So if I traded radios with a buddy and get the request to enter the unlock ‘anti-theft” code, do I have to go to the dealer to get the code? My radio swapped to his without needing it, but his radio is requiring the code. Thoughts, suggestions?

cm88_bruins

First Name
Ciro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
I have a 2020 JLU Sport S and I upgraded from the 7” to 8.4” today. I bought the 8.4” from a forum market seller but it looks like they bought it from Infotainment who pulled it off a 2018 JL. Interestingly the sticker on the unit shows part number 68295725AF. Install was a breeze. When I booted up it was branded Chrysler. After a full reboot (shut door, wait, etc) things came up Jeep branded and everything appeared to be working. Nav, SiriusXM, radio, carplay*, HVAC (+wheel, seats), backup cam all work. Everything appears to be working great.

I don’t have off-road pages. But I didn’t before the swap so I’m not sure if I’m supposed to have it or not (wasn’t expecting it).

*CarPlay worked on USB2 once but every time since then it only charges. Not sure if anyone figured this out?

Attaching a pic to show SW versions. After some quick forum searching I think it is up to date.

16A22636-6507-4847-BB87-DE1389677407.jpeg

SRQgunner

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimted Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2020 JLU Sport S and I upgraded from the 7” to 8.4” today. I bought the 8.4” from a forum market seller but it looks like they bought it from Infotainment who pulled it off a 2018 JL. Interestingly the sticker on the unit shows part number 68295725AF. Install was a breeze. When I booted up it was branded Chrysler. After a full reboot (shut door, wait, etc) things came up Jeep branded and everything appeared to be working. Nav, SiriusXM, radio, carplay*, HVAC (+wheel, seats), backup cam all work. Everything appears to be working great.

I don’t have off-road pages. But I didn’t before the swap so I’m not sure if I’m supposed to have it or not (wasn’t expecting it).

*CarPlay worked on USB2 once but every time since then it only charges. Not sure if anyone figured this out?

Attaching a pic to show SW versions. After some quick forum searching I think it is up to date.

Thats awesome @cm88_bruins. Looks like you have the latest software/firmware update installed also.

I installed my unit a few weeks ago and absolutely love it.

Enjoy!

Daddy4zack

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU

How long was the install. Any tips or tricks? Plug and play?
Thank You
Going to do mine today.

Sponsored

cm88_bruins

First Name
Ciro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How long was the install. Any tips or tricks? Plug and play?
Thank You
Going to do mine today.
Plug and play. Only thing is there is one connector on both the 7" and 8.4" that the color on the connector doesn't match the color on the device. I think it is a cyan colored connector that connects to a yellow receptacle. Something like that (don't quote me on the exact colors). So just make sure as you are removing from the 7" you remember what went to what.

When you go to remove the huge connector, if you apply a small amount of pressure to the side where it clamps the lever will easily come up.

After install. Know how to do a "full reboot". And do it twice. Turn car off, open/close door, set alarm via key fob, wait 5 minutes (radio and everything turns off). Repeat.

It's super easy. Plug and play. Took maybe 30 minutes

Daddy4zack

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
Are the head units the same if it’s alpine vs non alpine. Outputs and power. Just wondering if my sound quality will be better or worse coming from my non alpine 7”

Daddy4zack

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
Just completed my swap. 10 min of install and a bit of setup. Good to go. Just want everyone to know this was easy and worked for me. Love the new features over the 7”
I still need to get some of the subscriptions (Uconnect) and WiFi to work (but I didn’t have those before) so it all works well.

Daddy4zack

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
I bought it off of this board. Yes I purchased a WiFi antenna separate

Sponsored

cm88_bruins

First Name
Ciro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just completed my swap. 10 min of install and a bit of setup. Good to go. Just want everyone to know this was easy and worked for me. Love the new features over the 7”
I still need to get some of the subscriptions (Uconnect) and WiFi to work (but I didn’t have those before) so it all works well.
Can you see if CarPlay works on USB2, the one in the center console, with your setup?

Daddy4zack

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
That’s the only one I use

lepcat

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR, Sky One Touch
Tazer JL has bet out that resolves Off Road Pages. Thanks Joe Z.