Sponsored

Worth waiting for 2019 MY?

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
#1 I am guessing the BSG will add a chunk of change extra. #2 a 48 volt battery hanging out underneath the Jeep doesn't make me feel comfortable. #3 there is a bumper to bumper warranty for a reason. Jeep has already increased the price by $750 as of March 1st. That will pay for nearly half of a lifetime warranty.

So I rolled the dice and ordered one a month ago. Should be here this week.
I'm planning on a late April order myself. Moving on April 1st, focusing on that first.

Then, after two years post-college, I get my self-imposed reward.

Reliability goes long term for me. The simpler the better for this type of offroader, for me. Hell, might drive it cross country, and to eastern Canada and Alaska in its lifetime. And plenty of dirt roads and not quite roads along the way.

Enjoy your jeep!
Sponsored

BumpyTrail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock
I have actually decided to wait til 2020 at the earliest now. I’m going to pick up a JK to keep me occupied until then. Give the BSG a chance to work itself out.

(The one exception is if the new eTorque V6 in the 2018 Ram 1500 is the same engine that will be going into the Jeep. That way the Ram can work out the issues.)

Sponsored

Hazmater911

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR, Silver, 2006 TJ (for sale)
You can use this information to get the “deer in the headlights” look from most sales persons. :whew:

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
Man I have to be honest with you, the more I drive my JL the more I absolutely love it! I now have 3500 miles on it and have even taken a long trip to Florida and back. Been in the shop twice for warranty repairs now corrected and she is perfect in all respects. It is fully loaded and has every option I could possibly want. There is no way I would have waited for a 2019 as I just plain love this one too much.

In closing I gotta say I love the guys calling us early adopters, it's really that they have a need to convince themselves they aren't missing anything by waiting. Well, I have something they don't have, ownership of a JK and a JL. And, I can tell you those that wait are absolutely missing out so jump in the water is great!
Curious, because I like gathering the information, what repairs was it taken in for service for?

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Prices and destination fees have already gone up once

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
I went to the Jeep dealer yesterday to look at a nice 2 door JK , I was and still am excited about the JL 2 door but I don’t know what to do. I personally do not like the idea of a mild hybrid. I wish jeep would just offer a basic gas six cylinder and then make all this fancy BSG / ESS optional.

Sponsored

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I went to the Jeep dealer yesterday to look at a nice 2 door JK , I was and still am excited about the JL 2 door but I don’t know what to do. I personally do not like the idea of a mild hybrid. I wish jeep would just offer a basic gas six cylinder and then make all this fancy BSG / ESS optional.
If BSG is standard in 2019 I wouldn't buy one. It's an offroad vehicle and I have no interest in one with needless complication and shit to break. For me, it's JK, 2018 JL, or bust.

And that's assuming I don't get convinced the JL is an unreliable POS

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
Yes, first year vehicles usually have bugs. Yes, most manufacturers take care of those in a hurry, because if they don't, word gets out. Jeep has been taking care of those when they can (back-ordered rear windows with bad defrosters/wipers seem to be a particular problem). "Early adopters" benefit everyone: they get the vehicle while it's new and hot, others get to sit back and safely wait-n-see what will go wrong (but with an almost unbearable amount of envy), and Jeep gets feedback and time to make adjustments (to price, options, order of availability, etc.). Any mistakes Jeep makes can be overcome with good customer support since so few JLs have actually hit the roads (and NO 2 doors), so they get a real time test group. Jeep just has to keep the early adopters happy.
BSG is coming everywhere, and ESS is already inescapable (unless you hack it with a trailer plug or disable the hood open warning). These will be the things we all get nostalgic about when every car is EV/hybrid electric: "Damn, I miss the good old days of belt start generators and electric stop start!" Me, to grandkids: "You know, when I was young, we had to go to these places called 'gas stations' where we pumped dangerous, inefficient fossil fuels into our cars every couple hundred miles..."

Incidentally, I'm not buying yet for 3 reasons: don't really have the money yet; want to see if a special ed. blends Sahara with Rubi; want to see the Bronco/JT before I pull the trigger. 2/3 of these may require a few years and waaaaaay more patience than I possess, but I can make it to '19 and see where everything else stands.
Thank you, all "early adopters", for your willingness to guinea pig-it for the rest of us scaredy-cats, and F-you for already having the JL that I have to wait for.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I remember hearing the same complaints when cars went from carburetors to fuel injection. How many cars with carburetors do you see on the road now?

drbsp

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Wrangler Unlimited 75th Anniversary Edition
BSG is actually a reason why I'm trying to get a late 2018. Which hopefully does have many bugs worked out. I figure some improvements ought to be made six months into production. I'm looking for the simplest, most reliable JL possible.
I think that the idea that there will be "bugs" with the new JLs is overblown. I had a 2007 Wrangler when they went to new body style and a 2007 Tahoe Z71 when Chevy went to new body style and did not have problems with either. My overall experience is that the difference in quality and issues with new body styles are non existent. Car companies want to make sure that their new models come out strong so as to ensure that people continue buying. It could be that I got lucky but both vehicles rank among the best I have ever owned (still have the Tahoe at 150k and 11 years later).Now if you are talking about the availability of parts, options and shipping issues (as Jeep appears to be encountering right about now) then that is a different story.