Sponsored

New 2020 Land Rover Defender vs Jeep JL Wrangler

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
the prices on them are beyond asinine. they sell for the same reason Jaguars do. they are a status symbol. plain and simple.

the build quality has been going downhill at breakneck speed for ages. they have more air suspension problems then Lincolns do....and THAT is a statement.

in You'd like to draw the inference that that was a swipe at land rover owners (again, not the real ones, the fake saccharine poser land rovers that belong at the mall, not on a trail), Feel free,
It's not just the Defender prices that are high. Prices of the Rubicon, Sahara, Recon, other higher-end editions overlap with the Defender now.
Sponsored

jakebrake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler rubicon recon
It's not just the Defender prices that are high. Prices of the Rubicon, Sahara, Recon, other higher-end editions overlap with the Defender now.
like I said, jeep prices are way too high. real world, for what we got, vs. what we paid, I should gotten a kiss, a drink, lube, and a reach-around. however, we have become accustomed to paying entirely too much for certain things. (jeeps, Harley Davidsons, 90% of women's accessories, colt firearms, the list goes on and on) as long as people will pay a premium for whatever they are selling, guess what.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
like I said, jeep prices are way too high. real world, for what we got, vs. what we paid, I should gotten a kiss, a drink, lube, and a reach-around. however, we have become accustomed to paying entirely too much for certain things. (jeeps, Harley Davidsons, 90% of women's accessories, colt firearms, the list goes on and on) as long as people will pay a premium for whatever they are selling, guess what.
No Lube but you do get 2 years of free oil changes with Jeep Wave! Some dealers are even known to overfill with a extra quart of oil at no charge! lol.

The Land of the Free. It's a capitalistic and free market, thankfully. As long as there is demand companies will charge and sell for whatever the market will bear. Recently demand slowed drastically due to the pandemic. My Magic 8-Ball tells me prices will adjust.

sjl136

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Willys 2dr, ‘90 YJ, '22 4Runner
31,000 miles into my JLUR, and I have had a damn good time with it. But, it is my daily driver as well as my off-road and camping toy, and for someone in sales, the daily driving compromises on 35's and the extra weight of skids and rock rails is getting a bit old. I'm thinking adding a TJ or LJ will be more fun on the trails, and I have been considering a used diesel Disco 5 to use as a better daily driver while still offering some fun off-road abilities. I like the idea of challenging a vehicle like a LR, and using it in ways most people don't. This new Defender, especially in the 90, will be considered for sure. Go ahead and blast me that is won't be a rock crawler. Yeah, that's not what I will use it for. I have plenty of fun exploring trails in New England, and even though my JLUR has plenty of trail pin-striping, wheels have rock rash, skid plates and rock rails get their use, I could see this D90 being a good ol time for the right trails, and a far better daily driver. We are about to jump into a great time for off-road capable vehicles as far as competition and options; Wrangler, Bronco, Defender, Land Cruiser 300 series (reportedly w/ price drop and more off-road focus). If you will only drive the one with solid front and rear axles, more power to you! For the rest of us, bring on the competition. I will leave with this review of the new Defender 110 from Scott Brady at Expedition Portal: This review is all about the performance of the Defender as an overland and backcountry vehicle. For that, it exceeded my expectations, providing both driver confidence and comfort over days of remote travel in Namibia. It is a thoroughly modern Land Rover, and the best of the current lineup for vehicle-based adventure travel. The ride quality off-road is class leading, as is the payload (1,800 pounds) and roof load (370 pounds). It has class leading wading depth, over 11 inches of ground clearance, and can easily fit a 33 inch tire. https://expeditionportal.com/2020-defender-overland-test-drive/

MileHigh

First Name
Kraig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Couldn't agree with you more!

Sponsored

Aenima

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Ruby
I've come across three Rovers while wheeling over the years, two older Discos and one LR3. One older one I had to recover. Guy tried to tell me not to take any pictures because he didn't want to be seen having a Jeep recovering him. I told him screw that, you're getting a free recovery, I'll take whatever pics I feel like (I didn't take any). The other older one wasn't stuck per se, but had just lit up full Christmas tree and was disabled. The third was the LR3 with independent suspension, driven by golf-visor guy and his wife, trying to navigate an obstacle. When I got out to spot him, his wife got out too and was a complete wreck because the $$$ LR3 was being wheeled over rocks and stuff and was about an inch away from some good body damage. I got the guy through, and admittedly it did pretty well considering.

Meh, not my thing at any price.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I should have a side-saddle mount system for the JL available in the near future, provided the Corona virus doesn't start turning people into zombies... you'd think it was based on how govt officials are reacting to it
Awesome, will keep an eye out for that.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Give me Jeep or give me death (shouldn't kid around like that in these times) but as far as this comparison I'll take my Jeep any day. Better looking and 25k less.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Top gear got to drive the new Defender where I grew up...

I LOL at the picture. The wheel up in the air must appeal to newbs in a big way to use it as advertisement for off roading. I've seen other video's and pics doing the same thing. Comical.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White

@ 11:12
This is a good example of a vehicle that has NO wheel articulation.

111.jpg

2222.jpg

According to the commentator, driving on a gravel road causing you to lift a wheel is considered "taking it to the next level"
Just too funny. Honestly the company should fire their design team and advertising firm. LOL

Sponsored

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Meh, I think the price is pretty sweet on my jeep. Dana 44s, 4 door, AC, nice sound, 4-1 low range on and on. I started added up the price of the stuff I did to my previous jeep TJ to get it to be as capable and stopped adding at 44k. My stock TJ didnt have half the stuff my JLUR had when I drove it off the lot. Plus stretching out the 2 door TJ to a 4 door wasnt an option. lol

You get a lot for your money IF you have the money.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Give me Jeep or give me death (shouldn't kid around like that in these times) but as far as this comparison I'll take my Jeep any day. Better looking and 25k less.
Absolutely. I'm not brand loyal in the least but they really ruined the concept of what the defender was all about.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I have a buyer for my 2020 JLUR, but with my current work schedule I am not sure when I'll be able to arrange getting that process done.

once sold will be getting something off-road capable, but more focused on desert running and road comfort.. I will not be driving for 6 months or more so the replacement will be a highway vehicle for my wife. so far shortlist is the Defender, or another LR, ZR2 BISON, Grand Cherokee Trailhawk with a Hemi, New Bronco, or maybe something else. may end up with a truck that is great on the Highway, and then a SXS for harder trails once I am ready for that again.

I will say, if they offer a JLUR in Mojave trim (built for dunes like the Gladiator) I may end up over there. I actually Love my 2020 JLUR, but it will not be practical for the short term and has never met my long term goals of being more Raptor like for the desert and faster mountain trails. if only reason do crawling, Runicon all day, no questions.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
For desert running the LR is perfectly satisfactory- if it doesn’t break down. The JLs have some problems but seldom leave their owners stranded. A colleague recently traded her LR Evoque after 6 months of ownership of which it spent three months in the shop for two separate engine related failures. Maybe that’s not representative of all LR....but no thank you...
Sponsored