Sponsored

Jeep broken into and valuables stolen

kermitjewel

Threads
Reaction score
anywhere, but always flipping off moderators
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito,
Sad to hear about this disappointing situation for Jerry. This situation is especially bad in California because there is a loophole in state law that almost prevents police and prosecutors from prosecuting auto break-ins. In December San Francisco reported over 70 break ins per day. Other cities like Seattle are experiencing so many, the mayor is directing police to not investigate them. There is a fundamental crisis in our society that allows for this to happen. It doesn't sound like there is any resolution soon.
move to small towns?
Sponsored

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
No chance, only one side of the story will be told
Lol friend, not saying I disagree with using deadly force when it’s warranted.

In Texas we are trained to shoot to STOP the threat, not necessarily kill the threat. There is a difference. In most cases, people will pass from the bullet wound.

If one has to discharge all 15 rounds, he either has a very bad aim, his gun isn’t hitting the target or he will need to prove in court that all 15 rounds found inside the victim were necessary.

Shooting with intent to kill can get an individual a murder charge conviction if it can be proven in court. Stay safe everyone.

OP
OP
Arterius2

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
UPDATE:
Unbeknownst to me, my rear dashcam actually caught a glimpse of the thief's face during the incident. So I've given the footage to the police and hope they'll do something about it, meanwhile, here is the video, at about 1 minute in, you can hear the thief smash my window and take my belongings:

kermitjewel

Threads
Reaction score
anywhere, but always flipping off moderators
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito,
UPDATE:
Unbeknownst to me, my rear dash-cam actually caught a glimpse of the thief's face during the incident. So I've given the footage to the police and hope they'll do something about it, meanwhile, here is the video!
zoinkx, well played

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
UPDATE:
Unbeknownst to me, my rear dashcam actually caught a glimpse of the thief's face during the incident. So I've given the footage to the police and hope they'll do something about it, meanwhile, here is the video, at about 1 minute in, you can hear the thief smash my window and take my belongings:

Looks like more than a glimpse to me. Hopefully it helps.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
UPDATE:

Sorry this happened to you. Low life scum. I hope they catch him. Or karma catches up with him.

Not sure about Vancouver BC but here in Chicago police don't even respond to theft. CPD is short resources. They will not send a police car out. The police want us to phone in a report. It's a joke. Crooks know this so it's open season on car and home thefts. In the past, a long time ago, they actually used to send a forensics tech out to try lifting finger prints.

In your case you have a very clear and identifiable image of the thief. Facial recognition is not used widespread. You still have overwhelming evidence. Thieves usually have been arrested and finger printed before. Their prints can ID them. Did you move, clean, or wipe the surfaces yet? A enthuiastic detective might consider looking for prints since you have pretty good evidence on your dash cam. On principle, it's worth a call to your police department.

OP
OP
Arterius2

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Sorry this happened to you. Low life scum. I hope they catch him. Or karma catches up with him.

Not sure about Vancouver BC but here in Chicago police don't even respond to theft. CPD is short resources. They will not send a police car out. The police want us to phone in a report. It's a joke. Crooks know this so it's open season on car and home thefts. In the past, a long time ago, they actually used to send a forensics tech out to try lifting finger prints.

In your case you have a very clear and identifiable image of the thief. Facial recognition is not used widespread. You still have overwhelming evidence. Thieves usually have been arrested and finger printed before. Their prints can ID them. Did you move, clean, or wipe the surfaces yet? A enthuiastic detective might consider looking for prints since you have pretty good evidence on your dash cam. On principle, it's worth a call to your police department.
Unfortunately the Jeep was repaired and cleaned. Also Vancouver police would not lift finger prints for these sort of things. At most I would hope they were able to identify the thief from facial recognition alone.
Staying hopeful.

Tdurden032

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Sorry you’re having to deal with that and hope that the authorities are able to pick the offender(s) up very soon and recover your belongings!!

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unfortunately the Jeep was repaired and cleaned. Also Vancouver police would not lift finger prints for these sort of things. At most I would hope they were able to identify the thief from facial recognition alone.
Staying hopeful.
You have the video. The thief probably is local and hitting everything in the area. Maybe local police are familiar with him?

It's a long shot and takes some resources. I have seen online local community watch group sites. I wonder if some kind of local social media would help ID the thief? Like the websites or news sites that post pictures of people steeling packages.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
This situation is unfortunate, but I'm not sure that much police resources should be directed at this level of crime - especially when they're needed elsewhere to help with the virus response. Not unsympathetic; just looking at the bigger picture.

On a side note: years ago my wife's car was broken into and a radar detector was stolen. After two years, it was forgotten, and we were surprised when the Scottsdale Police contacted us. They had just recovered the detector and arrested the perp. [undoubtedly after a long-running crime spree]

And...BTW, I never had the urge to harm (let alone, kill) the thief. Chances are that life itself is punishing them.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 JT
In my community, we have 6 police investigators dedicated to Auto Crimes. This included thefts of and from vehicles. They are quite successful in prosecuting cases when evidence exists. They even have a Facebook page dedicated to identifying suspects of Property Crimes. Getting the courts to incarcerate them is another story...
upload_2020-3-25_12-15-3.png

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In my community, we have 6 police investigators dedicated to Auto Crimes. This included thefts of and from vehicles. They are quite successful in prosecuting cases when evidence exists. They even have a Facebook page dedicated to identifying suspects of Property Crimes. Getting the courts to incarcerate them is another story...
This.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So does anyone think that this is the face of someone whose had as comfortable a life as most of us? Chances are that he has an addiction problem and needs help. To those who wish him dead, don't worry, he's slowly killing himself now. As I've previously mentioned, I retired from a food bank and I've seen that face a thousand times. [well not that EXACT face]

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 JT
So does anyone think that this is the face of someone whose had as comfortable a life as most of us? Chances are that he has an addiction problem and needs help. To those who wish him dead, don't worry he's slowly killing himself now. As I've previously mentioned, I retired from a food bank and I've seen that face a thousand times. [well not that EXACT face]

It's about to go political...

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It's about to go political...
This is not about politics. It's about basic human compassion. Yes, I react differently than those that wanted to beat, shoot, kill, and whip him. [over a laptop!]

At the food bank where I worked, we received a large donation from a local pharmaceutical billionaire who, several years later, was indicted for bribing doctors offices to push his opioid product and addicting thousands. These are the true societal bad guys.

It's impossible to work for a social services organization for long and not see things through a different lens.

BTW, kudos to the OP for handling this so level-headedly (is that even a word?).
Sponsored