turbo engine noise sound and smell

USS_Thunder_Moon

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport w/ Altitude Pkg & 2L Turbo
Thanks but no thanks for the condescending attitude. It’s my 3rd Wrangler & I have a Degree in Organic Chemistry - I read the damn manual.

Are you hung up on “optimal performance use 91 octane” ? Who even has access to fuel under 87 octane?
IF you were paying attention - my concern is with the sound of the engine.

There is NO "91 octane requirement" read the manual, it is recommended but it is designed to run fine with 87 octane. It won't affect your warranty either because is written in the manual in plain English. use a Moly-additive to help with rocker arm noise (which I don't think has anything to do with 87 octane gasoline)
Sponsored

bajanut

First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Thanks but no thanks for the condescending attitude. It’s my 3rd Wrangler & I have a Degree in Organic Chemistry - I read the damn manual.

Are you hung up on “optimal performance use 91 octane” ? Who even has access to fuel under 87 octane?
IF you were paying attention - my concern is with the sound of the engine.
I apologize It wasn't my intention to offend you; I am an Engineering Geologist so I am not dumb either, maybe it came out the wrong way, I do apologize for my poor choice of words, deep down I was trying to help if you can believe that; it is just that a lot of people are confused and think that they must use 91 octane and you start your question with "I’m aware of the requirement to run 91 Octane" which requirements does not necessarily mean that you have to use it. So I thought it was about engine pinging and since I've tested my 2.0L with both and have not noticed any difference; at least here at sea level in San Diego, I though I gave you my two cents, very sorry that It came out the wrong way; and yes I agree with you, reading my reply again it sounds bad, I'll make sure I read my replies in the future before pressing send, I am not a disrespectful person but I see why you felt offended, very sorry.

Last edited:

bajanut

First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
I apologize It wasn't my intention to offend you; I am an Engineering Geologist so I am not dumb either, maybe it came out the wrong way, I do apologize for my poor choice of words, deep down I was trying to help if you can believe that; it is just that a lot of people are confused and think that they must use 91 octane and you start your question with "I’m aware of the requirement to run 91 Octane" so I thought it was about engine pinging and since I've tested my 2.0L with both and have not noticed any difference at least here at sea level in San Diego, I though I gave you my two cents, very sorry that It came out the wrong way; and yes I agree with you, reading my reply again it sounds bad, I'll make sure I read my replies in the future, I am not a disrespectful person but I see why you felt offended, very sorry.
By the way, (here comes my two cents again) I was in the forum trying to find out something about how loud the 2.0T is when cold, found this
Liqui Moly 2009 Anti-Friction Oil Treatment - and apparently it quiets valves and lifters and has very good reviews and was trying to find out if someone else has used it.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
By the way, (here comes my two cents again) I was in the forum trying to find out something about how loud the 2.0T is when cold, found this
Liqui Moly 2009 Anti-Friction Oil Treatment - and apparently it quiets valves and lifters and has very good reviews and was trying to find out if someone else has used it.
I don't have any experience with that product, but I would be very careful adding any oil additives to a direct injected motor.

jakebrake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler rubicon recon
They are kinda loud when cold, if ours is anything of an example.

Sponsored

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
DI injectors are noisy and on cold start they are running at much higher duty cycle which could possibly make them even noisier.

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
The octane usage talking about 87 in the manual came as an updated insert to many of us. It wasn’t in my original 2019 manual. It’s likely fixed in the 2020 manual but just RTFM doesn’t always give perfect advice.

Ace1999

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
So with 87, a ping or knock is normal. It’s the direct injection. Running 93 or 91 should solve that.

This engine heats up quickly and i’m 80% sure it runs coolant through the exhaust or something to warm it up(there’s a name for it but i can’t remember it). But it runs very efficiently in terms of cooling the motor. And the heat contracting is completely normal, i’m at 9.5k miles and it’ll still contract and click depending on how hard i was driving it.
[/QUOTE
Should I hear it when the car has been ran hard and sitting at idle ? Like when pulling into my garage ?
Sponsored