Making functional Hood Vents....maybe?

R3D J33P

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR - Firecracker Red
This is a post to all of our genius mod-ers and engineers out there.
So one of the bgg complaints has been why are there "Non-Functional" hood vents on the Rubicon. I know some people have cut the bottoms out and claimed cooler engine and so forth and so one.......But....
Here is my challenge...what about mod-ing them to be Air-Intakes? With Rugged Ridges' new raised Air-Intake with optional Snorkel what about creating a way to open up those Hood Vents to be Air Intakes? You would not be able to put a Snorkel on them and you would need to engineer something that would allow the hood to still open, access to the engine, and remove any water.....but it may be possible to make those "Non-Functional" vents......"Functional" and become a new Raised Air Intake.

......Thoughts?
Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Don't you think that the ENGINEERS figured the engine construction and (TEMP OPS) with the hood configuration AS IS ???

The jeep's notta race car--any hood scoop/inlet/airflow design you install will only work-POSITIVELY above 80 MPH and that's with a better designed windshield angle--how often will you drive your jeep above 80 mph(way above) ??

FAGETTABOUTIT !

W.E.

JIMBO

wv18jl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Misread question

Make a set and post up your results

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Don't you think that the ENGINEERS figured the engine construction and (TEMP OPS) with the hood configuration AS IS ???

The jeep's notta race car--any hood scoop/inlet/airflow design you install will only work-POSITIVELY above 80 MPH and that's with a better designed windshield angle--how often will you drive your jeep above 80 mph(way above) ??

FAGETTABOUTIT !

W.E.

JIMBO
Exactly. I seriously don't think the engineers left anything on the table when it comes to thermo efficiency. I read a article about the Gladiator and it's towing capacity. There was a direct correlation between thermo efficiency and tow capacity. The engineers had to look everywhere for minuscule gains in thermo efficiency. To the point where they had to enlarge the front grill of the Gladiator to get every every btu of efficiency.

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
Outward venting can be helpful on trail runs on extremely hot days. Our old crown vic’s even needed a louvered panel on the hoods to keep them cool while idling all day and running flat out then coming to a complete stop for an hour. Modern Jeep cooling systems are much better and time will tell if this will be a necessity down the road. This would be a better application than an air intake.

Sponsored

TOTL Innovations

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.totlinnovations.com
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK

That isnt true. I think you are thinking of a cowl induction design which does require a force of air against the windshield. The OP isnt referring to that kind of design.

Exactly. I seriously don't think the engineers left anything on the table when it comes to thermo efficiency.
Unfortunately, engineers arent the only ones who get a say it what the final product will be. The bean counters also get to have an opinion and functional vents "usually" dont make the cost vs. reward cut.

I have to agree with @Shenanigans. Modifying those vents would be better suited for heat evacuation than trying to funnel air to the air box. Its just 2 small openings that then have to channel air a relatively far distance directly over a hot engine bay heating the air as it passes.

If only someone made a hood that did both...

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
That isnt true. I think you are thinking of a cowl induction design which does require a force of air against the windshield. The OP isnt referring to that kind of design.

Unfortunately, engineers arent the only ones who get a say it what the final product will be. The bean counters also get to have an opinion and functional vents "usually" dont make the cost vs. reward cut.

I have to agree with @Shenanigans. Modifying those vents would be better suited for heat evacuation than trying to funnel air to the air box. Its just 2 small openings that then have to channel air a relatively far distance directly over a hot engine bay heating the air as it passes.

This does both
9E6E316D-0FD7-4111-A055-17782B94F942.jpeg
272855F8-CAA1-4519-8F2F-1608744358D5.jpeg

https://www.lmperformance.com/10871...nOXNXL4s89UYOCgCCET5E-dmbMWomM2BoCgG0QAvD_BwE

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED

Yeah, I was reading more into the OP post than was intended, but

COWL INDUCTION is a broad term for just about any "FORCED AID INDUCTION on the hood and dependent on the windshield angle/primary hood design and ACTUAL DEPTH (inches)OF BOUNDARY LAYER DEAD AIR !

Heh Heh, it's got nothing to do with jeeps/4 wheeling--

Have a great day !

JIMBO

Sponsored

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
I have no association with this company, but if I was looking for a functional hood that kept the stock lines, I think I’d lean more towards this one.
4525F1AE-3D0E-4D53-96AE-1CD2DCBFD686.jpeg
B776844B-2929-4030-BCE8-37650884C852.jpeg

Rolling Ragu

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
My first thought was of my Onan generator in the motorhome. It specifically states that the fan and cooling system are designed to operate with the cover on. Instinct tells me to pull the cover off when I can, but that's not how it was engineered to cool. The cover forces cool air over the areas that need it. Could the same be true for the JL?

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
This is Poison Sypder’s hood vents

This is modifying the Stock hood vent

Frezski

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2013 F250, 2016 Accord, 2016 Yami R1M
Occupation
Slave to the Trade
Vehicle Showcase
So I am not going to start some crazy debates here.. but I have played mine. What caught my attention to all of this is how warm my jeep normally runs. Keep in mind I live in a very mild temperature area... like 50-70 degrees F. Seldom do we see 80s-90s. My jeep temps would be at a constant 215-225 coolant and oil temp. Some say its normal, but causes alarm to me. I have seen temps in the 230-240s traveling in 25 degree ambient air temperature. I personally did not feel comfortable with it. I could imagine if it was 100 degrees out side. So I pulled the hood liner out, and gutted the hood vents. I noticed consistently that the temps stayed 5-10 degrees cooler on regular driving. Things would warm up a little bit like sitting idling in traffic or at a light, but as soon as you start moving it took considerably less time to cool back down. I did not put the liner back in because I didn't want to hack it up, especially say if I am really concerned over weather and wanted to seal it back up. The final thing I did recently was swap the JL grill mesh with the JT mesh. I noticed probably the biggest difference. I am sure it could be the combination of the two, but now I see temps in the 192-195 range. Yes it will it heat up crawling or extended idling, but when the fan kicks on it definitely seems to cool down faster than it ever did before. That is just my experience. Could I be messing with the design engineering of thermal fluid dynamics and engine efficiency? Possibly. I have read that people's temps have varied quite a bit in their every day commute. I mean, it is all across the board on what is normal on their Jeeps. Also I have noticed the meter never really fluctuates with whatever the digital temp says. I have read, that 230-240 is safe oil temp since we are running full synthetic. I took a gamble and that was the results I got. Perhaps I just made up for the fact my winch sits on top of my pumper and blocked or deflected more air into the cooling system. Anyways gents, I am not advocating to do what I did. It's your jeep, risk vs reward.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
This is a post to all of our genius mod-ers and engineers out there.
So one of the bgg complaints has been why are there "Non-Functional" hood vents on the Rubicon. I know some people have cut the bottoms out and claimed cooler engine and so forth and so one.......But....
Here is my challenge...what about mod-ing them to be Air-Intakes? With Rugged Ridges' new raised Air-Intake with optional Snorkel what about creating a way to open up those Hood Vents to be Air Intakes? You would not be able to put a Snorkel on them and you would need to engineer something that would allow the hood to still open, access to the engine, and remove any water.....but it may be possible to make those "Non-Functional" vents......"Functional" and become a new Raised Air Intake.

......Thoughts?
Without doing a full analysis of the hood and engine compartment designs it's hard to tell if improvements can be made.
That said, with the design of the stock hood, ducting to the intake to the current "vents" likely isn't going to work well at all. Based on their shape/placement there should be a low pressure zone which will draw air out. Obviously if you're hooking it up to the intake you want air coming in, not going out.
They should be able to be adapted as heat extractors which I suspect should work pretty well. I'd design duct or deflector to prevent excess water from getting on the engine (shouldn't be too difficult). The questions then become, is the fan efficiency designed to work with a "lid" as Tony mentioned, and is there room beneath the hood for the duct/deflector?
I think it could be done, and it likely wouldn't cost a lot to make it plausible as a heat extractor. Unfortunately the Sahara doesn't come with that hood, and I haven't found one cheap. If someone wants to donate one, I'll be more than happy to develop and test a way to make the vents functional.
Sponsored