Sponsored

The unresolved steering issues: Would this get Jeep's attention?

MissMyCJ5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door
Or would I just be wasting my time? I bought a new JL 2-door and, first time on the highway, it was wandering all over the road. Constant left and right adjustments just to stay in my lane. Bad. Told the dealer right away and, after 2.5 hours in service I was told "No problem found." I think this vehicle is going to get someone killed some day. I've filed a complaint with NHTSA (they now have received almost 1000 complaints about JL steering). Neither the dealer nor Chrysler will respond to any messages, so I am wondering if this might get some results: write to Consumer Reports, Car and Driver, Better Business Bureau, newspapers and local TV consumer affairs departments. Worth a try? Waste of time? Already been done?
Sponsored

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Anything is worth a shot but honestly it’s been 3 years and they still haven’t fixed it, they probably won’t anytime soon. But I agree the more noise that happens over it the more likely it will be they fix it. If it hurts sales you bet your ass they will figure out what the issue is, as long as people keep buying them as is they have no reason to fix it.

OP
OP

MissMyCJ5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door
Sadly, I know you are right. I'm seriously considering putting signs in both rear windows that say, in huge block letters: UNSAFE! DO NOT BUY A WRANGLER! and parking right outside the dealer's showroom once or twice a week.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Just get rid of it and go on...life is too short to seek revenge for a bad purchase. What will you really accomplish by wasting your time trying to stop a few sales? Jeep really doesn’t care what you or I t think...

Big Blue

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Willys
Occupation
Retired
Just get rid of it and go on...life is too short to seek revenge for a bad purchase. What will you really accomplish by wasting your time trying to stop a few sales? Jeep really doesn’t care what you or I t think...
Went feom a '16 Renegade to a 2020 4 door Willys , steering did feel different from the Renegade , totally different ride , not a problem after 1600 miles . Drives like a Jeep , love it !!

Sponsored

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Or would I just be wasting my time? I bought a new JL 2-door and, first time on the highway, it was wandering all over the road. Constant left and right adjustments just to stay in my lane. Bad. Told the dealer right away and, after 2.5 hours in service I was told "No problem found." I think this vehicle is going to get someone killed some day. I've filed a complaint with NHTSA (they now have received almost 1000 complaints about JL steering). Neither the dealer nor Chrysler will respond to any messages, so I am wondering if this might get some results: write to Consumer Reports, Car and Driver, Better Business Bureau, newspapers and local TV consumer affairs departments. Worth a try? Waste of time? Already been done?
They know: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/inv/2019/INIM-PE19012-77759.pdf

Mine is being bought back for the same reason. It’s been a long and frustrating ordeal. I’m getting a replacement but am giving it a serious test drive before accepting it.

iamstillvince

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler sport s
Went feom a '16 Renegade to a 2020 4 door Willys , steering did feel different from the Renegade , totally different ride , not a problem after 1600 miles . Drives like a Jeep , love it !!
me too, 16 trailhawk to a 20 sport s with Mopar lift and 33's. first test drive i almost crashed leaving lot it steered so different. however i do worry with with all the issues, mine seems ok though

PghJeeper88

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
So everyone can collect their $1.37?
It’s a 1.37 you don’t have before. We can keep the slogan like the rest “did you buy a Jeep JL, if so, you may be entitled to compensation.”

Sponsored

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
Makes no sense at all. If your steering sucks and you did NOT get the steel steering box installed per the TSB just get it done. This upgrade, free of charge has resolved the problem 95% of the time. It will not make it a Lexus or even a Toyota but it’s a huge improvement to wandering and loose steering problems. Remember it a Jeep and designed to do things others autos just are not made to do.
Read the posts about this (there’s about 10,000 of these) and see the problem is pretty much resolved except for people that have crazy lifts and other modifications that have screwed up the geometry of their front ends.

As one of the biggest complainers on this site about crappy steering and going thru every option including a FCA lawsuit and buyback I can attest that with the new box I’m pretty happy now.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
They know: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/inv/2019/INIM-PE19012-77759.pdf

Mine is being bought back for the same reason. It’s been a long and frustrating ordeal. I’m getting a replacement but am giving it a serious test drive before accepting it.
I'm quoting myself to give an update to this revived thread...

My replacement JLURR is fantastic. I could tell a significant difference between it and my '19 as soon as I drove it down the street. I happily accepted it.

Even though it was handing much better (especially after putting in the MC adjustable LCAs to get my caster to around 7°), I did get the TSB done a few weeks ago. The new box is a great improvement—firmer and feels more solid overall.

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Read the posts about this (there’s about 10,000 of these) and see the problem is pretty much resolved except for people that have crazy lifts and other modifications that have screwed up the geometry of their front ends.
Generally, you are making overbearing statements with nothing but your opinion to support any part of them.

My 2018 JLU had lousy steering when it had the stock aluminum box. The steering TBS sounded like it would fix everything while only adding just a few extra pounds. For me, the TSB iron box and assorted other fixes made only a slight improvement with the vagueness and center wander issue. I got the attention of Jeep Cares and they are replacing the iron TBS box next week. What they will be replacing the TBS box with is unknown, but they are serious about correcting my lingering problem.

Unlike others, precision steering and handling is a must for me. "It's just a Jeep thing" is an ignorant retort for an owner accepting poor build quality and design.

The Wrangler brand is an immensely profitable line for FCA. Settling for 1985 build quality in 2021 is an owner's mistake. I continue to fight politely with Jeep and am making progress. I don't give up declaring it's simply "a Jeep thing" and the other owners are the ones at fault for making modifications. You might support the others having problems since you seem to be one of the fortunate ones.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
After a handful of JKs, this is my first JL. Yes...the steering is not as good as it's predecessor. There are so many threads about this, and they boil down to:
  • Some owners think their steering is fine right from the factory
  • Some people dislike their steering, but they're new to Jeep and have passenger car expectations
  • Some people (like me) have implemented DIY fixes (longer LCAs, steering dampers, shaft braces....). I don't know about the other work-arounds, but the LCAs worked 100% for me.
  • Some people are expecting the dealer to implement all of the DIYer mods. Not going to happen.
Bottom line: if you don't like your steering, and the new steering box doesn't help, there are very effective remedies on this forum, but you'll need to fund/modify your Jeep yourself. Not an ideal situation, but it saves a lot of brain damage versus trying to fight it.

Last edited:

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
There are so many threads about this, and they boil down to:
  • Some owners think their steering is fine right from the factory
  • Some people dislike their steering, but they're new to Jeep and have passenger car expectations
  • Some people (like me) have implemented DIY fixes (longer LCAs, steering dampers, shaft braces....). The LCAs worked 100% for me.
  • Some people are expecting the dealer to implement all of the DIYer mods. Not going to happen.
There is another "hybrid scenario" that should be included:
  • Some people (like me) have implemented DIY fixes (longer LCAs, tire PSI) and my dealer has implemented all appropriate TSBs (steering box, track bar, updated software etc)
This has worked 100% for me!
Sponsored

Last edited: