First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU, 18 JL, 21 JL
Yeah I'm stuck home and of course planning what all else I can do to my Jeep. So I've been considering rocker guards. It might not end up being something I do because I'm concerned with making holes in the body panels. Has anyone installed these? Did you have any issues with the mounting holes after installation? Do you love them or regret them? Think they are worth the money?

I will also be adding some rock sliders, so these would not be the only body protection from this area.
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I'm stuck home and of course planning what all else I can do to my Jeep. So I've been considering rocker guards. It might not end up being something I do because I'm concerned with making holes in the body panels. Has anyone installed these? Did you have any issues with the mounting holes after installation? Do you love them or regret them? Think they are worth the money?

I will also be adding some rock sliders, so these would not be the only body protection from this area.
I'll be the first to admit that I needed a second look at your thread title to know what it would be about, because my eye only caught "sex" on the first pass. Haha

On to the real point, I too am hesitant to drill holes in the body for rocker guards. It's easy enough to coat the inside edge of the holes before install, but it would turn the panel into a trap for debris that could fast-forward rot. I've been narrowed down to either the LOD signature or the destroyer sliders. The signature extends up and out for increased rocker protection, but the design of the destroyers keeps the toe of the boot away from the body when using them as a step.

Probably not much help, but those are my thoughts.

Jeepdude101

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR black
Occupation
Construction field worker
Vehicle Showcase
I'll be the first to admit that I needed a second look at your thread title to know what it would be about, because my eye only caught "sex" on the first pass. Haha

On to the real point, I too am hesitant to drill holes in the body for rocker guards. It's easy enough to coat the inside edge of the holes before install, but it would turn the panel into a trap for debris that could fast-forward rot. I've been narrowed down to either the LOD signature or the destroyer sliders. The signature extends up and out for increased rocker protection, but the design of the destroyers keeps the toe of the boot away from the body when using them as a step.

I second that, I was like wait WHAT!

BF3FCC9D-9594-4EFB-B25F-FB9DB6B3EAFB.gif

OP
OP
@CBEUnion

@CBEUnion

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU, 18 JL, 21 JL
HAHAAH!! But it got you looking, didn't it! Are you old enough to remember that Farrah Faucet poster?

OP
OP
@CBEUnion

@CBEUnion

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU, 18 JL, 21 JL

So yes the whole drilling holes thing has me worried. I can't see anything in the description that says these panels fit tight enough to keep sand and whatever from collecting behind them. And would these holes become just another leak further down the road?

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
So yes the whole drilling holes thing has me worried. I can't see anything in the description that says these panels fit tight enough to keep sand and whatever from collecting behind them. And would these holes become just another leak further down the road?
I've watched a couple install videos that show the holes being drilled to a specific size for the installation of nutcerts. They leave a very shallow shoulder that results in the tiniest gap between the rocker panel and the guard. This gap would trap dirt, and it's not the finish of the paint that concerns me but the inevitable bubbling of it that does. And regularly popping them off to clean would be a pain.

If I were to take the plunge, I'd coat the outside of every nutcert with something like permatex ultra black silicone gasket sealer before crimping them to the body and, at the least, a small bead of it around every hole in body. That would definitely seal out any and all weather from getting close to those holes.
Sponsored