Chromoly axle shafts for fr

Pbjeep

First Name
Preston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ Tj jk six in all
Who all has shafts that are available now? Front and rear. I know rcv is what most have gone with for fronts and that g2 is coming out with placer and tork sets but can’t find those in stock. Also seen spicer is making chromoly shafts but again,finding them. What all is available and what are you running. How do you like them?problems?

Can the FAD deletes be changed backed to FAD for using stock shafts on the trail. Going back to Moab and after watching a Jl rubicon shaft take a shit with 37s at hot springs,rather be safe then sorry till the UD60s go in.
Sponsored

scrape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
Who all has shafts that are available now? Front and rear. I know rcv is what most have gone with for fronts and that g2 is coming out with placer and tork sets but can’t find those in stock. Also seen spicer is making chromoly shafts but again,finding them. What all is available and what are you running. How do you like them?problems?

Can the FAD deletes be changed backed to FAD for using stock shafts on the trail. Going back to Moab and after watching a Jl rubicon shaft take a shit with 37s at hot springs,rather be safe then sorry till the UD60s go in.
I would not throw any money into the stock axles with 60s on the way. With that said, Yukon has a full JL product suite. Going from non-FAD back to FAD on the trail sounds like a pain in the ass, especially if you did a block off plate/motor delete, and flashed your ECU. It’s certainly doable though if you bring all that junk with you.

OP
OP

Pbjeep

First Name
Preston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ Tj jk six in all
I agree on throwing money at them. I was thinking I could always pull the shafts and recoup some of that money separately from the axles. I wasn’t sure if the fad was something that could be a trail repair. Sounds like it’s not. Thanks. I’ll look at Yukon.

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
Some of the FAD “delete” kits leave all the FAD parts in there and it just moves back and forth without the collar. Theoretically, that would be an easy swap back in on the trail.

Sponsored

Silent Panda

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
The FAD RCV fronts keep all of the FAD stock parts. If you pull the module, you can put the stock parts back in...a reverse of the installation.

I did RCV front and rear. I thought the rears were precautionary but my LH rear shaft was twisted almost a full spline. No way they would have lasted through EJS this year.

I think spending some money to be sure you have a good wheeling trip before you get the 60's is a great idea. You can recover some of the shaft cost and have some peace of mind on the trail.

This was my shaft after 10 months on 37's.

IMG_9522.jpeg

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wrangler JLUR, '23 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired Code Monkey
I just ordered the Dana Advantek front shafts. Chromoly with 1350 u-joints. A little less than $700 shipped.

Dana Spicer 10044459 - Keeps the FAD

Dana Spicer 10044474 - Lose the FAD

OP
OP

Pbjeep

First Name
Preston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ Tj jk six in all
Thanks y’all. I see Dana spicer has a fad delete kit. Looks like it just permenantly locks the two piece shaft. I rather have the rcv one piece if that is the case. I think I will run Dana spicer rear chromoly. I’m sure the rear rcv are nice but I can’t afford those.

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Code Monkey
So I received the 10044459 kit yesterday and this is what I received.

20200310_155243.jpg

So it appears to be a half-baked upgrade, that is, the kit does not include the "inner-inner-shaft" as Dana tech support called it, and told me on the phone. Sure, you get Nickel Chromoly shafts and upgraded U-joints, but then you're left with the intermediate shaft (FAD-to-Diff) as the weak link at that point, IMHJO.

So if you're looking for upgraded front axle shafts, and want to keep the FAD, I guess you're left with RCV or one of the other manufacturers as a complete solution.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 JT

20200310_155243.jpg

So it appears to be a half-baked upgrade, that is, the kit does not include the "inner-inner-shaft" as Dana tech support called it, and told me on the phone. Sure, you get Nickel Chromoly shafts and upgraded U-joints, but then you're left with the intermediate shaft (FAD-to-Diff) as the weak link at that point, IMHJO.

So if you're looking for upgraded front axle shafts, and want to keep the FAD, I guess you're left with RCV or one of the other manufacturers as a complete solution.
Those yokes look fat though...

9F49F6FC-92F2-4EC2-B742-BCF60865EF29.png

Sponsored

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Code Monkey

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

20200310_155243.jpg

I ordered this exact kit on 12/23. It arrived two weeks ago. I went to install it last weekend and found the same ‘surprise’ you did. I thought they forgot to pack all the parts.

I work 2 miles from Northridge 4x4 in Denver so I took it to them on Monday. We called Dana together and they confirmed the kit does not come with the inner-inner shaft. So, I told them that was insane.

I returned the Dana kit on the spot and bought RCV’s and RCV axle tube seals. Hope to install them later today.

I agree the Dana kit is half baked. Why put in chromoly shafts if it doesn’t replace the whole shaft? Dana wouldn’t confirm if the inner-inner shaft is already chromoly from the factory. That was the only thing that would have made sense of it.

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Code Monkey
I ordered this exact kit on 12/23. It arrived two weeks ago. I went to install it last weekend and found the same ‘surprise’ you did. I thought they forgot to pack all the parts.

I work 2 miles from Northridge 4x4 in Denver so I took it to them on Monday. We called Dana together and they confirmed the kit does not come with the inner-inner shaft. So, I told them that was insane.

I returned the Dana kit on the spot and bought RCV’s and RCV axle tube seals. Hope to install them later today.

I agree the Dana kit is half baked. Why put in chromoly shafts if it doesn’t replace the whole shaft? Dana wouldn’t confirm if the inner-inner shaft is already chromoly from the factory. That was the only thing that would have made sense of it.
Exactly!!! Unfortunately for me, the surprise (a pretty shitty one) cost me $80 in return shipping costs. It pisses me off even more because I took the time to call the Dana Tech Support line where you get connected with a guy who sounds like he's ready to slit his wrists and is hating his job, and then you are lied to about what comes in the box. :mad:

I had the same thought about the stock inner-inner (Mopar calls it the intermediate) shaft already being Chromoly but I doubt it. This is the stock part...

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/i...er-jl-gladiator-jt-rubicon-dana-44-68400416AA

Nothing about it being chromoly and the splines appear to be cut/machined instead of rolled. And why would they make that one part stronger than the rest of the shaft(s)? Especially considering that auto manufacturers are notoriously cheap.

I think I'm pretty much done with anything from Dana-Spicer. I've been less than impressed with everything I've received from them. Their online parts descriptions suck (could've saved me $80), no instructions and terrible packaging. They basically take these parts and toss them in a cardboard box with no cushioning and hand 'em to UPS. Every package I've received from them (all axle shafts to this point) has poked/worn through the box. I had to return one rear shaft to the seller because the tone ring was chipped.

I, too, am ordering the RCV front shafts and seals. Let me know how your install goes.

Last edited:

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly!!! Unfortunately for me, the surprise (a pretty shitty one) cost me $80 in return shipping costs. It pisses me off even more because I took the time to call the Dana Tech Support line where you get connected with a guy who sounds like he's ready to slit his wrists and is hating his job, and then you are lied to about what comes in the box. :mad:

I had the same thought about the stock inner-inner (Mopar calls it the intermediate) shaft already being Chromoly but I doubt it. This is the stock part...

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/i...er-jl-gladiator-jt-rubicon-dana-44-68400416AA

Nothing about it being chromoly and the splines appear to be cut/machined instead of rolled. And why would they make that one part stronger than the rest of the shaft(s)? Especially considering that auto manufacturers are notoriously cheap.

I think I'm pretty much done with anything from Dana-Spicer. I've been less than impressed with everything I've received from them. Their online parts descriptions suck (could've saved me $80), no instructions and terrible packaging. They basically take these parts and toss them in a cardboard box with no cushioning and hand 'em to UPS. Every package I've received from them (all axle shafts to this point) has poked/worn through the box. I had to return one rear shaft to the seller because the tone ring was chipped.

I, too, am ordering the RCV front shafts and seals. Let me know how your install goes.
That sucks about the $80! My box came damaged as well. Was thinking the intermediate shaft fell out of the box.

I did install the Dana Chromoly rear shafts in early Jan. I expect the fronts to be easier to install. The rear bearing races gave me some fits, but it gave me an excuse to buy that slide hammer I’ve always wanted anyway. Had the RCV rears been available at the time I may have gone that route. The Dana’s are a good price point though.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Question for you guys doing FAD delete: If you do the FAD delete, can you add traditional manual locking hubs?
Sponsored