Clutch- durability w/ unintended abuse?

urr2slo

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Denali Duramax, Chevy Camaro, Jeep CJ7, C7 Corvette, MB S63
It would be helpful to know the answer to the question by @DanW ...how much did the Centerforce clutch cost you? It looks like you're advocating their clutch in multiple threads and said you worked with them on a prototype. Did you get parts and labor done for free?
I'm pretty happy with the stock clutch, even off road, but am curious how much it set you back to swap to the Centerforce, both with the cost of the product and the installation?
I’ve worked with Centerforce on several firsts over the last 15 years so I got a discounted price, and a friend of mine and I installed it at his shop on a Sunday when he’s closed for some pizza and beer.
I have and go through a lot of vehicles and I prefer manual vehicles and I tend to modify them quite a bit, when they’re new models I have called Centerforce to build a clutch to meet my needs when there are no options on the market.
Sponsored

urr2slo

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any downsides to the Centerforce? I have one on order ($1,000 from Summit) but it's not gonna ship for a few more weeks. Does it make the rev hang worse?
I noticed some additional rev hang mainly in 2nd gear near redline under hard acceleration, but it’s minimal. There really are no downsides, great pedal feel, takes off easier, crawls in 4lo so much better, steep inclines on loose surfaces that previously need slight throttle or stall condition would occur are gone, wheel spin on really loose surfaces when climbing are greatly reduced just let it idle it it keeps climbing. There’s a hill that gets increasingly steeper of loose shale that I couldn’t make it to the top due to wheel spin or stalling with the stock clutch that I can idle all the way to the top now. The heavier flywheel makes a huge difference.
On the street in traffic it’s so much easier to drive as well.

urr2slo

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It would be helpful to know the answer to the question by @DanW ...how much did the Centerforce clutch cost you? It looks like you're advocating their clutch in multiple threads and said you worked with them on a prototype. Did you get parts and labor done for free?
I received a nice discount on it due to 15 years of working with them on firsts on several new products when nobody was offering clutch upgrades. On my C6 & C7 Vettes, on my 5th & 6 Gen Camaros. I have one of the first 20 regular production 2014 Z28s and it was the first supercharged one built so I had them build me a clutch for it to hold the power. Before I called them on the JL they were just thinking about it as they hadn’t had anyone inquire about it. I contacted them in April and met with them in May so they could drive it to see how bad the stock clutch felt and performed, and in September I had the first production unit.
They’re a great company to deal with. Family owned and operated with a great history.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I noticed some additional rev hang mainly in 2nd gear near redline under hard acceleration, but it’s minimal. There really are no downsides, great pedal feel, takes off easier, crawls in 4lo so much better, steep inclines on loose surfaces that previously need slight throttle or stall condition would occur are gone, wheel spin on really loose surfaces when climbing are greatly reduced just let it idle it it keeps climbing. There’s a hill that gets increasingly steeper of loose shale that I couldn’t make it to the top due to wheel spin or stalling with the stock clutch that I can idle all the way to the top now. The heavier flywheel makes a huge difference.
On the street in traffic it’s so much easier to drive as well.
Thanks, makes me feel better. Mine is supposed to ship direct to me near the end of the month. Planning to install myself, I've done a handful. Anything special or unusual on this install because of the flywheel replacement?

Jeepdude101

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR black
Occupation
Construction field worker
Vehicle Showcase
I have an advantage in getting comfortable with this clutch because the only manual I had driven before this was my dad’s 1989 YJ with the 4.2 ax15 ceterforce clutch 4.88 gears 35’s etc and that is a super easy combo to drive but I had only driven it a few times so it wasn’t locked in the brain then I got the JLUR and basically learned all the techniques with it and after 15,700 miles it feels normal and I love it:like:

Sponsored

urr2slo

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, makes me feel better. Mine is supposed to ship direct to me near the end of the month. Planning to install myself, I've done a handful. Anything special or unusual on this install because of the flywheel replacement?
My friend did most my install I just helped. He said it was more work than a JK but not bad. It was his first JL as well. Took us just under 11 hours, but we weren't rushing, made sure everything went back like it was supposed to. We also did the Magnflow loop delete and rock krawler catback and Adam's 1350 driveshafts at the same time.
Make sure you dis-connect both batteries and wrap the terminals to prevent them from touching anything.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
My friend did most my install I just helped. He said it was more work than a JK but not bad. It was his first JL as well. Took us just under 11 hours, but we weren't rushing, made sure everything went back like it was supposed to. We also did the Magnflow loop delete and rock krawler catback and Adam's 1350 driveshafts at the same time.
Make sure you dis-connect both batteries and wrap the terminals to prevent them from touching anything.
Both batteries? :movember: I'm genuinely confused

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, these jeeps have 2 batteries which allows the ESS feature to function. This way you can listen to your tunes without it resetting with the jeep starts after sitting at a light. If you pull the neg cable off the battery, you’ll still have 12volts going through the system as the aux battery will still be connected. Looking at the neg cable from the passenger side, you’ll see 2 wires attached. The one closest to you will be the neg to the aux battery. So you’ll need to disconnect the main cable of the battery terminal and then the 2nd cable going to the neg on the main as well. This will remove all power to the jeep. I’ll see if I can find a pic on here explaining it better.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Speaking of durability..does anyone have a gritty feeling clutch pedal once the Jeep is warmed up? My pedal gets very grit/ sand like feeling when I depress it and makes a very audible creak. Here is a video. That is a creak when the pedal is pushed in and when the pedal is coming back up. The noise is outside and under the jeep. I am thinking slave cylinder?
Sponsored