Sponsored

The Important of Painted Fender Flares on Stock Jeep

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
If you order painted fenders, they should already come with protective film... mine did. If it doesn't cover enough, you can always remove it & replace with 3M. This is my driver-side rear. Please excuse the dirt... but it's a Jeep and pollen season started.

fender.jpg
Not all if many painted fenders have paint protection film from the factory. I suspect yours might have been added by the dealer? Or the factory stopped applying it after a very short run? I personally have never seen painted fenders from the factory covered with film. I have a 2019 JLR with painted fenders. Mine were bare. Every other JL I have seen with painted fenders were bare. I had my paint protection film guy cover all 4 of my pained fenders fully with self healing film. Covers 100% of the painted surface. You can't tell there is film on them.
Sponsored

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Did not read the whole thread but my painted fenders came with PPF from the factory, front and back. Was not done by the dealer, mine was a factory order.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Did not read the whole thread but my painted fenders came with PPF from the factory, front and back. Was not done by the dealer, mine was a factory order.
Is your film a partial cover like melendez69's red fenders?

I have a 2-door and definitely did not have film from factory. Maybe it's a 2-door verses 4-door thing? Maybe it was parts issue and done on and off by the factory? Maybe some bean counters figured out FCA could save a few cents by eliminating the film at the factory? lol. Not really sure?

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Is your film a partial cover like melendez69's red fenders?

I have a 2-door and definitely did not have film from factory. Maybe it's a 2-door verses 4-door thing? Maybe it was parts issue and done on and off by the factory? Maybe some bean counters figured out FCA could save a few cents by eliminating the film at the factory? lol. Not really sure?
No, mine is much better coverage than his. So it appears they changed brands at some point. Mine is a 2019 while his is a 2018 though.
20200316_120224.jpg

Sponsored

COJLGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4...
I prefer the look of the painted flares and have mine completely covered in Xpel Ultimate PPF.

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
With Sting Gray, I love the painted flares.

IMG_1020.jpeg

Quetzal

First Name
ERIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Teacher
I got the matching fenders for the look, but realize that if you off road on loose rocks, your front wheels will shoot those rocks at your rear fenders. Fortunately the painted fenders do come with a protective film, like an giant thick clear sticker, to protect the paint. I actually had an aftermarket film put on that covers.the whole front part of the fender, that does a decent job of.paint protection. It cost me about $45/fender to have it installed.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

they look great....until they get scratched. then they look like poo. went off roading with a group. 3 of us scraped on a rock while flexing in a perilous "trench". one guy had white painted fenders. he then had nice big black scrape lines in it. said he would just have them repainted. (probably will happen again). me and the other guy, our black textured fenders got scraped but its not really noticeable.

if its going to be a street jeep or very mild offroading then go for it. even pinstriping can be buffed out.

Sponsored

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Not all if many painted fenders have paint protection film from the factory. I suspect yours might have been added by the dealer? Or the factory stopped applying it after a very short run? I personally have never seen painted fenders from the factory covered with film. I have a 2019 JLR with painted fenders. Mine were bare. Every other JL I have seen with painted fenders were bare. I had my paint protection film guy cover all 4 of my pained fenders fully with self healing film. Covers 100% of the painted surface. You can't tell there is film on them.
Mine came from the factory... I remember asking the dealer about it a while back.

@BrntWS6 looks better & covers more. Eventually I'll get there...

scgmc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 GMC 2500HD Duramax, 72 Formula 400, Yamaha WR250R, Dozens of Kayaks and Canoes, Future Jeep Wrangler JL Owner
As someone that has owned a Line-X or Rhino-lined truck beds for over 20 years, I can assure you they do not clean up easily. They also fade.
I live in a red clay state and it migrates into all the nooks and crannies of the texturing and it becomes impossible to get out. Both types do a good job at protecting the metal underneath (Line-X more so because it is harder) but I would NEVER put it on an outer panel that I was trying to keep looking clean. It's also heavy...

And to chime in on the original topic...my favorite is a painted top and fenders but I really fear the rock chips- especially the rear fenders.

Mikepa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR, '11 LR4, '21 F-150 FX4, '08 620i Gator
My 2018 Granite Crystal JLUR has the same clear protection film on them, applied at the factory.

Mikepa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR, '11 LR4, '21 F-150 FX4, '08 620i Gator
I vote for painted with PPF.
Ditto. BTW, some other solutions to further protect body colored rear fenders is color matching Plasti Dip or custom cut vinyl . I have found Anthracite Grey with Glossifier a very good match for my GCM.
Sponsored