Carrying a bike without a hitch

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
Bought my JLU without a hitch and am wondering what's the best way to carry a bike.

Thinking either a spare-mounted bike rack or lowering the back seat and putting it inside but would need some sort of mount to hold it firm.

I plan on taking it to work so will see some highway time so it needs to hold the bike firmly.

What do you guys use for those without a hitch?
Sponsored

Blades

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU sport
You can add a hitch easily for around 80 bucks. It's a pretty simple bolt on job. Then you could just go with the hitch mount rack.

OP
OP
CT_LFC

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
You can add a hitch easily for around 80 bucks. It's a pretty simple bolt on job. Then you could just go with the hitch mount rack.
My only issue with a hitch-mounted rack is blocking the ability to open the gate, though i'll have the roof off soon for the summer.

OP
OP
CT_LFC

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
Just put it in the back. The spare tires ones that I have seen to date are blah and most end up blocking the camera.
Do you use anything to secure it? or just lay it down? i have a car seat in the back though i will still be able to put down the wider side of the back seat.

Sponsored

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Do you use anything to secure it? or just lay it down? i have a car seat in the back though i will still be able to put down the wider side of the back seat.
I wound just lay it there. Don’t see much need to strap it down. I would try it with the car seat as I have zero experience in that department.

Shawn19

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport S 4dr
Curt hitch, 80$, you will need to put an extension on the rack to come out past the spare. You can get a rack with a pretty easy pull pin to fold it out when the bike is off, so you can get your gear out.

I Tried without a hitch a couple times, adding the receiver was worth it.

The directions to add it say you need to drop the muffler, but you do not have to drop it, like the previous poster said. 4 bolts in pre-existing holes.

OP
OP
CT_LFC

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
Curt hitch, 80$, you will need to put an extension on the rack to come out past the spare. You can get a rack with a pretty easy pull pin to fold it out when the bike is off, so you can get your gear out.

I Tried without a hitch a couple times, adding the receiver was worth it.

The directions to add it say you need to drop the muffler, but you do not have to drop it, like the previous poster said. 4 bolts in pre-existing holes.
https://www.quadratec.com/p/curt/2-receiver-hitch-jeep-wrangler-jl

This one?

Sponsored

PA-Punkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR, 2012 BMW 328 Wagon, 2002 BMW 330 Cabrio
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
My only issue with a hitch-mounted rack is blocking the ability to open the gate, though i'll have the roof off soon for the summer.
No issues with this setup and tail gate clearance. The video author is a board member too -Tunesoul

My set below, followed his parts list

Watch "Thule T2 Pro XT review, will this rack even work on the brand new 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR?!? " on YouTube

20200308_091744.jpg

SSinGA

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2018 JLUR, 2016 JKRHR, 2012 JKU Sahara
No issues with this setup and tail gate clearance. The video author is a board member too -Tunesoul

My set below, followed his parts list

Watch "Thule T2 Pro XT review, will this rack even work on the brand new 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR?!? " on YouTube

20200308_091744.jpg

This is how I carry mine. Harbor Freight has an affordable drop extension.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I have a hitch mounted rack that angles down to open tailgates. True: it must be absent of bikes to do so--or, as described above, get a hitch extender to distance the rack from the tailgate.

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
What type of bike? Large MTB, or something smaller? I had to transport BMX bikes in my wife's JLU. I folded one half of the seat down, flipped the bike upside down and removed the front tire, then slid it inside. It was standing on the handlebars and seat, and then I used a bungee strap hooked between the seat back and the steel loop on the side. It worked great. I would use one of the other alternatives as mentioned above if you bike frequently, but for occasional use it worked fine for me.

You may also be able to find a hitch even cheaper. I scored an OEM one off a JK for $40. It will bolt up to the JL bumper.

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
Add a RoughCountry Tire Relocation Bracket and you will be able to clear the back gate when opening. I have a 2-bike Thule rack on my hitch and with the bracket I drop it and it's fine.
Sponsored