Sponsored

Upgrading from the 5" UConnect3 to 7" UConnect4?

Jpat

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I had this exact problem with an 8.4 I bought on eBay, even after upgrading it to the newest firmware. I returned it and bought one from infotainment that worked (minus CarPlay from the center console). Probably a total coincidence though.
Was the one you bought an actual Jeep JL one, or from a different vehicle? Ive tried a charger and a grand cherokee radio, both look green like this in the JL, but look fine in a grand cherokee.
Sponsored

sandor.g

First Name
Sandor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Gladiator Hard Rock rims, MOPAR 2" lift
Occupation
Project Manager
Attached Sun Sensor Location
Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 10.47.09 AM.png
Hey Ruben!
Where did you get that picture from?
I need some harness location pictures for an upgrade and this is exactly what I would like to see, plus some other harnesses!

Jpat

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I left the challenger 8.4 in the JL for a couple days, and everything still works except the backup camera being green tinted. Ive updated to 21.1 but still the same issue. Im trying to get the 28.3 update but i cant find it online.

Has anyone successfully used a radio from a other vehicle? Or is the green tint unfixable?

Sponsored

First Name
Cris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sport S
Jeff, you think that switching the plugs on the back of the radio might help??
I think the 7 inch radio has different color connectors on the back.
I might try to plug the red one into the dark purple connector.

just a thought

Jpat

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Jeff, you think that switching the plugs on the back of the radio might help??
I think the 7 inch radio has different color connectors on the back.
I might try to plug the red one into the dark purple connector.

just a thought
you cant switch them. they are all a different shape.

Jgroux

First Name
J C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Did you have to use any wires to connect the sensors? I have a 18 Sport JL and I couldn't find any wires for the sun sensor or Air Sensor.
I think the harness changed between 2018 and 2020 as I had sun sensor factory installed and the cabin temp sensor connector was sitting behind the knee panel. Check out posts 732-750ish in this thread for how to build the harness pieces to support these sensors (it’s relatively cheap ~25 and easy)

First Name
Cris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sport S
Update on the Charger radio:

I got CarPlay working with JScan (Tazer alternative).

It seems like the radio will bolt up, and the bezel will go in with minimal effort. It may require drilling a whole a little larger but I think it’ll work overall.

The reverse camera is still green. I haven’t solved that yet. I may need to update Uconnect to get it all to work right.

Also, I don’t have Off-road pages. It may be because I bought a non-nav radio. I saw that there is a option to entable nav vía JScan, but I haven’t messed with it yet.

I may end up returning the radio and getting a Nav enabled one but I really can’t get over the green backup camera.

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Rubicon axles

It seems like the radio will bolt up, and the bezel will go in with minimal effort. It may require drilling a whole a little larger but I think it’ll work overall.

The reverse camera is still green. I haven’t solved that yet. I may need to update Uconnect to get it all to work right.

Also, I don’t have Off-road pages. It may be because I bought a non-nav radio. I saw that there is a option to entable nav vía JScan, but I haven’t messed with it yet.

I may end up returning the radio and getting a Nav enabled one but I really can’t get over the green backup camera.
How did you enable carplay with JScan?

Sponsored

Jpat

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S

Can you see what software version your radio is at? 21.1 is the latest one i can find online, which i updated my radio to. the TSB 08-001-19 REV B calls for update to 28.3, but it looks to be a dealer only update. I attached the symptoms it is supposed to fix.

I am working on getting a copy of this software update, but it is tough to find.

Capture.JPG

Jpat

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I just found an actual JL 8.4" uconnect. If anyone is interested in taking over my charger/challenger project i put it up for sale in the marketplace. I have it modified to bolt into the JL and everything appears to function besides the backup camera. I tried to track down the 28.3 update, but gave up.

Marlon_JB2

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR, 2014 Dodge Dart GT
Occupation
Jeep Builder
This is the best thread ever. I bought my JL late last month and within just a few minutes of driving home, I realized that there was no way that I'd be able to live with the 5" uConnect 3 system, after coming from a 2017 Cherokee Trailhawk with the 8.4". So, therefore, I went to the dealer with the part numbers in this thread and upgraded my '20 Unlimited Sport yesterday with the new 8.4" uConnect 4 radio after I got off work. I'm beyond pleased and not even thinking about the loss of the volume knob. And of course, the dealer said that it wasn't possible. I paid $1,147 for the 8.4" and $27 for the bezel. Simple 5 minute upgrade.

Thanks to everyone!
Sponsored