Sponsored

2.0 Turbo overheating when idling

AM1771

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2.0T
(put a TLDR at the bottom cuz I noticed my story's getting kind of long)... sorry

Hey everyone, I have a 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (4 door, 2.0 4 cyl turbo) for when I’m in the States. She currently has about 8k miles and is often not used for months when I’m in Europe…

I’m back and left her running in park for not even 2 minutes, and heard the fan was making a lot of noise. I checked the gauge and it was going up crazy fast, it even got red before I could do anything. Digital display maxed out at 122 C (I can’t really work Fahrenheit), but that’s about 251 F apparently.

I turned the heat on max but the air coming out wasn’t very hot at all.
When I got moving again, the air got burning hot and she immediately went back to normal operating temps.
I kept driving her and if the auto start thing is on, she’s totally fine. But if you turn that off or let her idle, she heats up like crazy… In the morning, she’s also already at operating temps before I get to the first stop sign… My car at home in Europe (HEMI V8) takes WAY longer to get there?…
She does go offroad but nowhere near as much as my truck in Europe and she gets cleaned a lot more often. Aside from a little bit of mud, dried grass, evidence of some poor animal I must've squashed flat and dirty tires, everything seems to be pretty clean as well and not in the way of the cooling system…

Anyone an idea what this could be or anyone else experienced this?
I can’t tell if this is a new problem, because last time I drove her I barely had time to enjoy or pay attention to the Jeep, just used her for long highway trips and didn’t care about the stop start. This week I mainly had to do heavy city driving but kinda backfired in my face when I turned off the annoying start stop feature when she started overheating... So problem might've been there for longer but you'd never notice if you won't let her idle or use stop/start.

----
TLDR: Jeep overheats when idling or driving very slow (parking garage for example). She will only blow hot air and get back to normal temperatures when moving. Fan comes on on full blast.
You'd never notice if you drive her with stop/start on...

Really appreciate your input!! Thank you!!!
Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
The first off road video of the 2.0 sounded like an airplane taking off. Then at the dealership (high volume with jeeps and coming and going every few mins) I heard a few and decided right there at the dealership the 2.0 was out of the question.

Rub-ISH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 2.0t, 22 Volvo XC60 T8 ER, 06 Audi A3
This sounds like a sensor to me. The 2.0 heats up very quickly due to water cooled exhaust/turbo
my guess would be a stuck Thermostat/sensor... if it sits for a prolonged time that could be the culprit.

There maybe some soft codes that didn’t throw a CEL. Do you have a way to scan it?

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Almost sounds like you have some air in the system. Maybe run it to the dealer and have them check it out.
The first off road video of the 2.0 sounded like an airplane taking off. Then at the dealership (high volume with jeeps and coming and going every few mins) I heard a few and decided right there at the dealership the 2.0 was out of the question.
Yeah, way to derail a thread with bullshit. All of the JLs have fans that run loud. It’s not a turbo vs thing. Keep that shit to those threads. The OP doesn’t need that crap in this one.

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Oh please.... LOL

Rub-ISH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 2.0t, 22 Volvo XC60 T8 ER, 06 Audi A3
Oh please.... LOL
Don’t be a ball bag... you are in the 2.0t forum, and you offered nothing besides shade. Why bother? I’ll just fast forward to telling you that you are right the turbo Jeep is lame... now you can stop worrying about this guys specific issue. Maybe even don’t worry about this whole sub section of the forum

OP
OP

AM1771

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2.0T
Thank you all for your replies!! Really appreciate it!!
Sorry it took me so long to reply, kind of had to flee the country with this virus and made it just in time before borders in Europe closed... lol

my guess would be a stuck Thermostat/sensor... if it sits for a prolonged time that could be the culprit.
There maybe some soft codes that didn’t throw a CEL. Do you have a way to scan it?
Thank you! I have a lot of those iPhone OBD scan thingies at home and literally thought about bringing my AlfaOBD tool I use on my RAM in Europe to see if it'd work on the Jeep, but forgot... Doesn't throw a CEL or doesn't even store a message... It heats up, warns me the engine is too hot and then the message goes away as if it's normal for an engine to get that hot :p

Wouldn't it still be able to blow hot air at idle with a stuck thermostat?

Almost sounds like you have some air in the system. Maybe run it to the dealer and have them check it out.
This is what I first thought of as well. Does that mean I had this from the day I bought it?
Made an appointment but unfortunately didn't make it with this situation going on...

The first off road video of the 2.0 sounded like an airplane taking off.
Ok I agree the 4 cyl is pretty loud, both when cold started and when you rev it (it loves to rev), but it's also a Jeep and I'll enjoy the sounds gas engines make until they force us to drive electric pieces of ****. The sound it makes at higher rpm kind of sounds like a chain or belt, but then again, I might have the eTorque system, so could be that.
Other than that, she's very quick and makes my nat. aspirated truck feel so heavy and sluggish when I'm back home. Weighs just under 6,400 lbs.

I only hope 285 hp won't be too much for a 4 cyl in the long run, but I love her, she's capable, well-built, fun, ready to go on an adventure and I'd rather drive a decent body on frame off-roader than a 300 mpg soda can sized death trap :p

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Buy a Lexus to keep the dirt out of your mangina.....

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
We all buy vehicles for a number of subjective reasons, but making a decision based on how a vehicle sounds reminds me of my nephew. I didn't know 12 year olds could buy or drive new vehicles. Must be a Colorado thing.

Sponsored

Adamoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon (2.0T w/ eTorque)
Thank you all for your replies!! Really appreciate it!!
Sorry it took me so long to reply, kind of had to flee the country with this virus and made it just in time before borders in Europe closed... lol

Thank you! I have a lot of those iPhone OBD scan thingies at home and literally thought about bringing my AlfaOBD tool I use on my RAM in Europe to see if it'd work on the Jeep, but forgot... Doesn't throw a CEL or doesn't even store a message... It heats up, warns me the engine is too hot and then the message goes away as if it's normal for an engine to get that hot :p

Wouldn't it still be able to blow hot air at idle with a stuck thermostat?

This is what I first thought of as well. Does that mean I had this from the day I bought it?
Made an appointment but unfortunately didn't make it with this situation going on...

Ok I agree the 4 cyl is pretty loud, both when cold started and when you rev it (it loves to rev), but it's also a Jeep and I'll enjoy the sounds gas engines make until they force us to drive electric pieces of ****. The sound it makes at higher rpm kind of sounds like a chain or belt, but then again, I might have the eTorque system, so could be that.
Other than that, she's very quick and makes my nat. aspirated truck feel so heavy and sluggish when I'm back home. Weighs just under 6,400 lbs.

I only hope 285 hp won't be too much for a 4 cyl in the long run, but I love her, she's capable, well-built, fun, ready to go on an adventure and I'd rather drive a decent body on frame off-roader than a 300 mpg soda can sized death trap :p
Glad you made it home before borders closed. Please remember to update when you find something with your Jeep issue. Stay healthy and well.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Being that I'm a former ASE certified mechanic.. and not 12 years old. Have your radiator pressure tested. It's fairly cheap and easy.

Reactions: J0E

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
i want to help, I really do.. no hard feelings.. I have no problem getting roasted. I realize my initial post was no help whatsoever.