The clutch gang!

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
9k on my Jeep I’ve smelt the burnt clutch once but that was a couple k miles ago. I’ll call the dealer and get in line as I have a first run Jeep vin. It’s my understanding once the recall happens they have to change the part and if they don’t they assume all cost of damages if it does Catastrophically fails. Either way I don’t leave recalls hanging it hurts the resell valve a little
I read on another thread that there is a possiblity that the metal part of the pressure plate can shoot up through the floor of the jeep?
Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

On the
I read on another thread that there is a possiblity that the metal part of the pressure plate can shoot up through the floor of the jeep?
recall paperwork in case of “minor injury was reported” I don’t believe this is something to truly panic about. Myself will continue to drive my Jeep tell the recall clutch is at my local dealer then I’ll take it to be fixed. But currently there is no listed replacement part. Honestly if it fails it fails. That’s what insurances and good record keeping is for.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Folks, relax and drive your Jeeps. It’s not like the movies where your Jeep’s gonna explode like that car in The Godfather. There’s a thousand time more chance your going to get hurt in an accident than you getting injured from your “exploding clutch”.

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
I am going to continue to drive my jeep.

I figure the least that'll happen is nothing and I get a new clutch or people will talk for years about how "Gary rode that fireball down that there road! Some say you can still hear him screaming! but I swear to God he had a smile on his face before he died!!!!"
Screenshot_20200313-073658_Samsung Internet.jpg

:devil:

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

I am going to continue to drive my jeep.

I figure the least that'll happen is nothing and I get a new clutch or people will talk for years about how "Gary rode that fireball down that there road! Some say you can still hear him screaming! but I swear to God he had a smile on his face before he died!!!!"
Screenshot_20200313-073658_Samsung Internet.jpg

:devil:
best post so far!

Sponsored

ImAJeepskate

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport (JLU)
This is true, but it more than likely will just get stopped by the carpet. It will be fragmented pieces so it would be like trying to shoot the hook side of Velcro through a sheet of the loop side.

LunchBoxFab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
This is true, but it more than likely will just get stopped by the carpet. It will be fragmented pieces so it would be like trying to shoot the hook side of Velcro through a sheet of the loop side.
there is no fucking way CARPET is going to stop clutch and pressure plate shrapnel from coming though your legs.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
there is no fucking way CARPET is going to stop clutch and pressure plate shrapnel from coming though your legs.
Fortunately the clutch is a bit further forward. You might potentially lose a toe but most of your legs are "safe"

ImAJeepskate

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport (JLU)
You are correct. Carpet alone wont stop anything, but bell housing and floor pan and carpeting might do better

Sponsored

Chinarider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Sahara, 2018 JLU Rubicon,
I got my recall notice yesterday & called both dealership and FCA immediately. Dealership wasn’t much use beyond general info saying they didn’t have parts or a fix procedure yet & they’d call me when parts were in.

FCA was slightly better. They created a case number for me to set the repair up with dealer when the parts are in & they know what to do.

My main concern was safety & drivability (I drive my kids everywhere). They’re saying it’s safe to drive. I’m taking that with a healthy dose of skepticism, given some of the posts and experience shared here.

Was also told that this was just a first recall notice, and a second would be issued on or around April 22, with more details & hopefully a fix.

FWIW, mine’s a 2018 JLUR with about 18k miles. I haven’t experienced any burning smell or slippage under normal driving conditions. I did take a little life off the clutch myself a few times (twice in reverse, uphill in the snow, and once in first/4hi on sand), but none were anything major & all were many miles ago.

Real question is (in the cases where it’s failing) what is causing the friction between the pressure plate & disc that would cause the overheating?

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh ok. I’m thinking that some giant piece of metal will fly up through the floor and sever my leg.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got my recall notice yesterday & called both dealership and FCA immediately. Dealership wasn’t much use beyond general info saying they didn’t have parts or a fix procedure yet & they’d call me when parts were in.

FCA was slightly better. They created a case number for me to set the repair up with dealer when the parts are in & they know what to do.

My main concern was safety & drivability (I drive my kids everywhere). They’re saying it’s safe to drive. I’m taking that with a healthy dose of skepticism, given some of the posts and experience shared here.

Was also told that this was just a first recall notice, and a second would be issued on or around April 22, with more details & hopefully a fix.

FWIW, mine’s a 2018 JLUR with about 18k miles. I haven’t experienced any burning smell or slippage under normal driving conditions. I did take a little life off the clutch myself a few times (twice in reverse, uphill in the snow, and once in first/4hi on sand), but none were anything major & all were many miles ago.

Real question is (in the cases where it’s failing) what is causing the friction between the pressure plate & disc that would cause the overheating?
My local dealer assured me mine is safe to drive as well. I have 13000 miles. One time long ago I thought I smelled something but it could have been something outside don’t know. I only drive 12 miles round trip to work.
I’m afraid to drive it. So I’ll use hubby’s car in the meantime when I can since he works from home.

paulsoncall

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
I just noticed mine is on the list as well. 13,000 miles. Pretty bummed because on April 3rd I'm leaving on an 8 month 15,000 mile expedition and I'll be towing a camper trailer. Guess I'll have to get it fixed somewhere along my route once parts are available.

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
I stopped into the dealer today and they were unaware of any recalls...lol... so they punched in my VIN and the recall came up.... but with no fix.
Sponsored