Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
By FCA tests, and research, only 1% of the total number of manual transmission JLs, JTs are affected. Keep it in proportion, please, Auto Blog,and others
Sponsored

crbrenny

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Sting Grey; 2021 JLR Gecko
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like there is an update on the remedy for this recall
Screenshot_20200312-124907.jpg
So, does this mean the 'fix' is to have it looked at, or is that an intermediate step as they wait to get the appropriate parts? It seems suspicious that the 'fix' could be a one-time inspection for this, albeit i dont fully understand if there are early warning markers they may be able to identify?

FlatSixShooter

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara,997C2, 981S, 750LI, Shelby GTSC, 19VW Jetta and a lot of motorcycles
My question for FCA is this :

Are only 1 % of the pressure plates fracturing or only 1 % are being overheated?

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
It would have to come apart to be " looked "at , and if apart, " replace" would seem to be the best remedy. FCA might have narrowed it down to a specific parts lot, that 1% affected. Every part on the vehicle has a " Family Tree", just for this reason..

Sponsored

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
My question for FCA is this :

Are only 1 % of the pressure plates fracturing or only 1 % are being overheated?
Yes, I’d like to know as well but we will likely not be told. I haven’t noticed any slippage with mine and haven’t ever smelled burning clutch. Mine has not been a DD, so I’m only at about 15k since July 2018, however.

FlatSixShooter

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara,997C2, 981S, 750LI, Shelby GTSC, 19VW Jetta and a lot of motorcycles
Does anyone know if 1100° is within a normal operating temperature for a pressure plate and clutch?

If so, then to 4 lows point above, If there’s a 1% defect rate in the pressure plate component, they should be traceable to batches/lots and vehicles. If 1100 degrees is not within normal operating temperature, then the related question becomes what’s causing the excess heat? Is it a master slave cylinder issue, is it a poor clutch/pressure plate performance issue, or what?

RockyMtnHigh

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon - Punk'n Orange
Last September I had my clutch, pressure plate, throw-out bearing, and one other thing that escapes my mind right now, all replaced chasing down the clutch vibration issue. But these would have been replaced with current production parts, which means I'm still affected right? FCA has yet to contact me directly, while others report getting notified via email.

Jeep-Noob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4dr
Does anyone know if 1100° is within a normal operating temperature for a pressure plate and clutch?

Only among millennials.

Sorry I couldn't resist. In all seriousness, what I have gathered from this forum is that some 'new to manual' drivers were so unaware of how manuals work and how to use them properly, they weren't able to understand that a slipping clutch indicated a quality problem. They drove the faulty vehicles until catastrophic failure.

This says some unfortunate things about our current populous, but the answer is more education and more manuals. If you are a parent, do your job, and teach your children how to drive. If you don't have a manual transmission vehicle in the household...well, that's something you should take as a personal failure. Otherwise, you son or daughter will some day buy an FCA product and drive it 1000 miles with the clutch slipping until it frags out the sides of the bellhousing and starts a fire.

hmz236

First Name
Humberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
So, does this mean the 'fix' is to have it looked at, or is that an intermediate step as they wait to get the appropriate parts? It seems suspicious that the 'fix' could be a one-time inspection for this, albeit i dont fully understand if there are early warning markers they may be able to identify?
To me it sounds like the fix mainly invovles rerouting the wiring harness to potentially reduce the number of fires (if this continues to happen) and having dealerships look for any obvious issues.
I'm not sure if FCA has determined what specifically is causing the pressure plates to reach abnormal temperatures. Until they pin point what the exact problem is this might just be an intermediate step.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLU Rubicon
To me it sounds like the fix mainly invovles rerouting the wiring harness to potentially reduce the number of fires (if this continues to happen) and having dealerships look for any obvious issues.
I'm not sure if FCA has determined what specifically is causing the pressure plates to reach abnormal temperatures. Until they pin point what the exact problem is this might just be an intermediate step.
I wonder if they feel like the electrical bundle played a greater role in the fires than previously thought. Otherwise I see no reason why they'd move it. Perhaps they think that the heat is causing the wires nearby to melt and short to the chassis which starts a fire or heats components to the point that they explode from there?

I also wonder if the "recall" of all manuals is to move the electrical bundle primarily, which they know is a problem for all of them if these parts eventually wear out and create this or a similar heat condition, as all clutches someday could, and from there they've isolated lots or batches of the pressure plate or the slave cylinder that are problematic that will be replaced when the trucks are brought in to have the electrical bundle moved. Otherwise, the high concentration of fires being from 2018 models and the ability to even estimate these at 1% make no sense if they don't have an idea of what's going on more than just literally all manuals.

Monkeynono

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Lets just say the plate reaches 1100* . Doing this repeatedly coupled with rapid cooling can and will fracture steel.

I would assume that most people driving a manual transmission would notice if it was slipping and go to the dealer to have it checked? Maybe?

Now if that plate is 1100* when it completely fails and blows through the bellhousing... What then is it igniting? I add it hits a fuel line? Wiring harness?

nunziotocci

First Name
Annunziato
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Husqvarna Svartpilen 701
Update regarding my previous posts about "fake shifts":

My Jeep is in the shop waiting on a new clutch. Apparently I was too stupid to realize my clutch was slipping. Thanks to everybody who pointed this out. The slipping was progressively getting worse and more common, and with this recall I didn't feel quite safe driving it around.

I feel like I dodged a bullet.

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

I took my Jeep in yesterday to the dealer for an ESS failure. No mention of the recall whatsoever. The recall does appear in my MOPAR app on my iphone.
Sponsored