Sponsored

6-Speed Manual Transmission no longer available, until fixed

PhoenixM3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GR86, 2023 Wrangler JLURD
So, hypothetically speaking... if i were to have someone replace the clutch with something aftermarket... Would FCA reimburse for the work? Or would I be out that money and also have my warranty voided? Some of the other stuff is relatively easy to fix with aftermarket/ built up parts. A transmission is a little different. I don't want this to be my first (and last) issue with my Jeep.
My guess is no they wouldn't go for it. Let FCA engineer a proper fix to this issue. One guy posted that he only noticed the issue in 6th gear, so who knows if avoided that one gear will slow the issue, or perhaps your Jeep isn't affected at all, and they only need to inspect for a potential issue.
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Well I just looked and add me to the recall list. Looks like it might be a good idea to order a fire extinguisher just in case. Anyone have any good recommendations?
Element. It lasts longer and won't leave a damaging residue. It also won't conduct electricity, which is a danger of some fire retardants used in extinguishers.

I've been kicking the idea of one of these around for over a year and finally ordered it today.

https://elementfire.com/

It stows easily and weighs very little. You can get to it much quicker when kept next to the front seat or mounted nearby. Traditional extinguishers are far less flexible and most mount them in the rear, costing valuable time.

It is not cheap, but it is cheaper than a fancy halon extinguisher, and again, doesn't add to the mess that an extinguisher piles onto the mess already made by a fire.

Rousie13

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Rubicon JLU, '19 Honda Pilot Touring, '15 Honda Accord EXL
Element. It lasts longer and won't leave a damaging residue. It also won't conduct electricity, which is a danger of some fire retardants used in extinguishers.

I've been kicking the idea of one of these around for over a year and finally ordered it today.

https://elementfire.com/

It stows easily and weighs very little. You can get to it much quicker when kept next to the front seat or mounted nearby. Traditional extinguishers are far less flexible and most mount them in the rear, costing valuable time.

It is not cheap, but it is cheaper than a fancy halon extinguisher, and again, doesn't add to the mess that an extinguisher piles onto the mess already made by a fire.
Thanks for the recommendation. That does look impressive, so I will have to look into ordering one.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The Stop Sale and Recall are in full swing, but actual repairs are said to be as far out as middle of April. I would say if you have noticed clutch slippage, or that distinct burnt disc smell, stop driving it. It's a " Black Swan " event, low probability, but catastrophic if it does happen..
Better safe than sorry. As far as other manufacturers, Toyota has a recall for almost 2 MILLION vehicles with bad fuel pumps, can quit any time...imagine that in Pin Ball Traffic..

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
If they don't have a solution yet, then they won't have the parts until well after April. I'm sure they'll have a solution soon because they apparently know exactly the problem. It takes some significant lead time to then test, source, produce, and distribute the parts. I'm betting June. I hope I'm wrong.

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I "think" the solution was well in hand, before the 3/04/202) W12 notice; however, supply lines, probably from China , obviously stretched, plus materials to manufacture the " improved " pressure plate. A Silver Lining would be....MADE IN THE USA ,as a result of this debacle

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
My guess is no they wouldn't go for it. Let FCA engineer a proper fix to this issue. One guy posted that he only noticed the issue in 6th gear, so who knows if avoided that one gear will slow the issue, or perhaps your Jeep isn't affected at all, and they only need to inspect for a potential issue.
According to the app, my Jeep is affected. Not sure if that's based on VIN, build date, or just the fact that it's a 2019 with a manual trans so it's within that broad criteria.

I haven't noticed anything, but will admit: I'm a bit nervous. I do drive around with my son a lot, and thanks to my work schedule, sharing a vehicle with my wife would be difficult- whether it's for the duration of the repair, or longer. I hate having to drop my vehicle off at a dealer and just leave it with an open ended time frame- which, it seems like this will be, since this like a bigger repair.

Jeepdude101

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR black
Occupation
Construction field worker
Vehicle Showcase
According to the app, my Jeep is affected. Not sure if that's based on VIN, build date, or just the fact that it's a 2019 with a manual trans so it's within that broad criteria.

I haven't noticed anything, but will admit: I'm a bit nervous. I do drive around with my son a lot, and thanks to my work schedule, sharing a vehicle with my wife would be difficult- whether it's for the duration of the repair, or longer. I hate having to drop my vehicle off at a dealer and just leave it with an open ended time frame- which, it seems like this will be, since this like a bigger repair.
I daily drive a 2018 JLUR 6 speed M/T off-road and tow with it I haven’t had any problems with the clutch no slipping or burning smell all JL’s and JT’s with a manual will show the recall when you enter the VIN but only a small percentage will actually have a problem so just keep checking if the clutch feels off or you have a burning smell PS I changed all the drivetrain fluids at 15,000 miles and the transmission fluid was not that bad at all about the same amount of metal as there was in the rear diff happy Jeeping :dance:

JL Fan

First Name
JL Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
'19 Wrangler Sport S with 6sp manual. I love it. 12K miles on it and not one complaint. I like to think that the chance of combustion just keeps me on my toes.

Sponsored

urr2slo

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Denali Duramax, Chevy Camaro, Jeep CJ7, C7 Corvette, MB S63
I’m really glad I installed my Centerforce dual friction clutch back in September. The first production unit. I have to much invested in my JLR to loss it to a catastrophic failure. From the day I took delivery I hated the stock clutch feel and performance. The Centerforce exceeded all expectations and made it more enjoyable to drive. I didn’t buy to be my daily as I have several vehicles to choose from but I find myself driving it more and more on the street. My first 6 months less than 2k mainly weekends when I had free time to go play in the dirt, last 5 months I’ve put just over 4K on it. It’s just a lot more enjoyable to drive now. I can’t lie, when I saw the stock clutch I was surprise at what Jeep decided to put in it, when I heard about the recall I had a good laugh. I was thinking at the time there is no way the stock clutch would last, I didn’t think the flywheel would blow apart, I expected the pressure plate and discs to give up first. My only clutch concern I still have is the plastic slave/throw out bearing that Jeep uses but nobody is making an upgrade yet. Hope it lasts.

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I’m really glad I installed my Centerforce dual friction clutch back in September. The first production unit. I have to much invested in my JLR to loss it to a catastrophic failure. From the day I took delivery I hated the stock clutch feel and performance. The Centerforce exceeded all expectations and made it more enjoyable to drive. I didn’t buy to be my daily as I have several vehicles to choose from but I find myself driving it more and more on the street. My first 6 months less than 2k mainly weekends when I had free time to go play in the dirt, last 5 months I’ve put just over 4K on it. It’s just a lot more enjoyable to drive now. I can’t lie, when I saw the stock clutch I was surprise at what Jeep decided to put in it, when I heard about the recall I had a good laugh. I was thinking at the time there is no way the stock clutch would last, I didn’t think the flywheel would blow apart, I expected the pressure plate and discs to give up first. My only clutch concern I still have is the plastic slave/throw out bearing that Jeep uses but nobody is making an upgrade yet. Hope it lasts.
I’m interested in your experience with the centerforce clutch.
I was thinking about the centerforce clutch before the JL clutch recall, mostly for the heavy flywheel that may help reduce engine stall while rock crawling.
I’ve read some not so positive reviews of the centerforce clutch on JK forums. Mostly around grinding gears, which I assume is from the clutch not completely disengaging. Have you had any gear grinding?

TIA

urr2slo

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Denali Duramax, Chevy Camaro, Jeep CJ7, C7 Corvette, MB S63
I’m interested in your experience with the centerforce clutch.
I was thinking about the centerforce clutch before the JL clutch recall, mostly for the heavy flywheel that may help reduce engine stall while rock crawling.
I’ve read some not so positive reviews of the centerforce clutch on JK forums. Mostly around grinding gears, which I assume is from the clutch not completely disengaging. Have you had any gear grinding?

TIA
I don’t know much about the JK units, I drove several model years between 07 to 18 and it never impressed me, not enough to buy one, my CJ7 was just better it seemed. When the JL came out at first I was like it’s not much of an improvement over the JK until a friend bought one and I drove it, it’s actually a huge improvement over the JK, so after some thought I ordered a 2dr manual Rubicon. From the day I took delivery I hated the clutch but that was the only fault it had.
I know that the V6 is upgraded, the transmission transfer case and the 44s are different from the JK, so to answer your question, no gear grind. Unless I don’t get it all the way in gear, I jump from one of my Camaros or my Vette and they have short throw shifters in all of them and get in the Jeep and it’s like rowing a boat the throw is so far, sometimes I forget and I don’t completely get it in gear. I also noticed when it got cold here this winter, below 40, that it’s hard to get in gear until the trans warms up a bit. I changed to Redline trans oil and it helped. I don’t think it’s related to the clutch but I didn’t experience the stock clutch in cold weather.
The heavier flywheel makes a huge difference over stock clutch when crawling. It drives a lot nicer than stock. I bought it as a weekend toy but since the new clutch I find myself grabbing the keys when I’m just tooling around town, it’s just really fun to drive. To underpowered for freeway drives, but I have several faster freeway cruisers for those drives.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Replacing the stock Dual Mass Flywheel, with the Centerforce " old school " flywheel, plus improved pressure plate clamping force, is the best " fix" ,in my opinion.
I normally go for a manual, when available, my 2015 JK 2Dr Sport was fun, no complaints at all, (other than placement of Reverse). When I test drove the JL manual, it was disappointing, no feel, no fun. Maybe FCA will eliminate the DM flywheel, get back to basics in future production. That pushed me over to the 2.0T, 8 spd automatic , a beautiful combo.
Good to know a Centerforce kit will bring back the " Joy " of actually driving ...

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
I have a 2 Dr, 6 Speed Manual, 3.6 motor.....over 22 K on the odometer now and it’s running as smooth as silk....shifting much more effortlessly than new. I’ve used it on several 2 thousand mile hunting trips. I’ve never had a hint of burnt clutch plate or fluid odor. I The low gearing in the Rubicon is a perfect match for 6 speed manual in V-6. It’s a great combo. I won’t stop driving mine until they offer a “ great” solution. Until that happens..... I’ll be smiling and waving to my fellow Jeepers.

be aware of all potential pitfalls with this Jeep....but don’t dwell on Doom & Gloom.
Enjoy the Ride !
Sponsored