Best 2" Lift for highway driving ?

2f2r

First Name
greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU S
Best 2" Lift for long highway driving ? I did Mopar 2" and 35s and it was too stiff. Stock was much better.
Is there a 2 inch lift that is better than stock? I sold it and bought a new one to build it again. Need it to be very stable because we film from it.

IMG_1837 2.JPG
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Someone posted a link to a testamonial from a shop that said the Pro-Comp K3111 spring kit along with Fox shocks was the best combination for street ride quality they''ve found.

Air way down when filming. Like 12-15 psi. if you buy beadlocks, you can go much lower. Tire are big adjustable springs.

Last edited:

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
If you like the stock ride then you might want to consider spacers. Daystar makes a 2" kit that looks very complete as far as spacer kits go. It even includes longer lower control arms to correct the caster.

mic.rempel

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2018 Grand Cherokee
Hey Greg, did you switch wheels at the same time you did the Mopar lift? Looks like you're running 20s? That would definitely impact your ride quality compared to stock wheels. Anyway I know that doesn't answer your question, I think unless you're doing a total suspension swap, including adjustable track bars, steering stabilizer, etc. it will be difficult to find something that's better than stock feel. I've heard good things about the Falcon 3.3 shocks and their ability to adjust ride quality but even those will only go so far without other components to help correct the geometric changes (caster, pinion etc.) that results from a lift.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Hey Greg, did you switch wheels at the same time you did the Mopar lift? Looks like you're running 20s? That would definitely impact your ride quality compared to stock wheels. Anyway I know that doesn't answer your question, I think unless you're doing a total suspension swap, including adjustable track bars, steering stabilizer, etc. it will be difficult to find something that's better than stock feel. I've heard good things about the Falcon 3.3 shocks and their ability to adjust ride quality but even those will only go so far without other components to help correct the geometric changes (caster, pinion etc.) that results from a lift.
Definitely go to 17 or 18" wheels when you get your 35s. The spring rate on shorter sidewall tires is way higher than big ol' offroad tires. Then air down. If you don't want vibration when filming from the tread of a tractor like tire, avoid mud type tires and get a smoother tread.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Didn’t you start another thread on this exact same topic?

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Fox adjustable can get you there. Price point however causes pause in most. I would look to metal cloak for a lift in that range.

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
making another thread about the same thing isn’t going to get you different results. The problem with your first setup was choice of tire being to aggressive with a heavy load range (E) and the wheel size at 20’s

Your ride with the Mopar lift and a set of AT 35” tires with load range C and 17” wheels would ride nearly the same as stock.

Last edited:

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Something seems familiar.........

Sponsored

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Best 2" Lift for long highway driving ? I did Mopar 2" and 35s and it was too stiff. Stock was much better.
Is there a 2 inch lift that is better than stock? I sold it and bought a new one to build it again. Need it to be very stable because we film from it.

IMG_1837 2.JPG
Tires have just as much to do with ride quality. What load rating are those Atturos? Go for a C rated tire instead of D and E load ratings as those have stiffer sidewalls that don’t flex as much as the factory tires and that will translate to a stiffer ride.

mwpncookeville

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Stingray Gray
Recently swapped the factory wheels and tires on our Sport S to rubicon take offs with the KO2 tires - the ride quality is still excellent (no lift yet). Tiny bit of additional tire noise, but not at all objectionable, and still very smooth and quiet.

I have driven a few JL stock rubicons and noticed both the tire noise from the facon wild peak MT and the stiffer suspension in the rubicon made for a "worse" ride than the sport S, even the KO2's on one of the new rubicons I drove did not match the sport for ride quality.

IMO, the spacers on the stock sport suspension would be your best option for ride quality if it's that important to you. Probably will also be the way we proceed, as the jlu is my wife's daily driver.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
After looking into this some more I don't think that the Mopar lift was the issue at all. Tires are a part of the suspension. The sidewall absorbs bumps before its transmitted to the springs or shocks. Larger wheels mean that there is less sidewall to perform this function. Larger wheels also need more psi to get the right contact pattern, also reducing the ability to deform and absorb. A heavy load range tire amplifies this problem even more. Larger wheels also have more weight, and heavy tires and wheels absorb more power. In summary larger wheels will decrease the ride, acceleration, and fuel economy. Not to mention the decrease in traction and puncture resistance for people who actually wheel. The only advantage of larger wheels is that they deform less when cornering very fast.

RidgeRider

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Teraflex Alpine 2.5" lift with Fast Adjust shocks set to soft with 35x12.5" Nitto Ridge Grapplers at 34psi and the ride is pretty close to if not better than the stock Rubicon JL Unlimited including both road compliance and cornering - I was pleasantly surprised. While I did take a mileage hit with the tires and all the gear, there is no noticeable performance decrease with the 4cyl engine - still accelerates well, runs up steep freeway grades with no issues and passes well at highway speeds.