Hothead Headliners

ArmyCrawler

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black JL Rubi
Thanks ArmyCrawler. What do you or others think of them as it regards their worth?
I’ll let you know! As of now they will beat my JL here by about a month ;-)

Based on JK ratings they seem to be worth it for how cheap they are and they fit right under the headliners so you don’t notice them.

I’m going to spray the inside of my hard top black first and then install them. Pics to follow!
Sponsored

swampcat14

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.c4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Google Data Center Maintenance Program Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I had the full hot head kit on my JKU and it was well worth the price of admission.

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
I'm still on the fence. You place a material on most of the underside of the top.. Not around the edges, no full coverage, then small strips in the cut out channels. I'm just not convinced that it will really do much for road noise other than maybe less echo in the back (allowing the sub to sound better). I'm still thinking spray bedliner the whole inside of the top may do more. Of course both options would go a long way in the asthetics department... I'm getting a quote this week on the spray in. I called the shop today, he wants to see it to determine prep that is needed. I think the tops are rough enough to accept the spray but who knows...

MOKE

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2016 F-150, 2018 JLU
Occupation
Business Development
I'm still on the fence. You place a material on most of the underside of the top.. Not around the edges, no full coverage, then small strips in the cut out channels. I'm just not convinced that it will really do much for road noise other than maybe less echo in the back (allowing the sub to sound better). I'm still thinking spray bedliner the whole inside of the top may do more. Of course both options would go a long way in the asthetics department... I'm getting a quote this week on the spray in. I called the shop today, he wants to see it to determine prep that is needed. I think the tops are rough enough to accept the spray but who knows...
I was leaning to spray as well. Are you close to Northern VA? I plan on having this figured out by next week.

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
I was leaning to spray as well. Are you close to Northern VA? I plan on having this figured out by next week.
BWI Airport

Sponsored

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Police Officer
My schedule changed so I'm hoping Friday to get the spray in quote, I'll post back.

JASPER

First Name
Wayolife Sucks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon and 2014 JK 2dr
People are saying no different in wind noise..

obiwankabaldi

First Name
Lew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Wind noise is a function of top fit to body I believe. The sound assassins and the Hot head liners are for acoustics, aesthetics and heat or cold mitigation. Never have tried them but willing to give it a go. Will be installing this weekend and will let you know what I think. Aesthetics for sure, since I do not like the bare white top. All else is up in the air at this point...We shall see.....

obiwankabaldi

First Name
Lew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Done! They look very nice and were easy to install once I got the hang of it. The roller did break and so I had to fool with that some. Noise. Totally subjective but I do think they help with acoustics. Nothing scientific or with specs here but overall the sound of the radio and conversation seem to be less hollow sounding. They do not change wind noise. The fit of the roof panels are the culprit there. On that same note I do think that the sound assassin strips do deaden overall rattle. Took it through a car wash and the sound of the jetted water on the roof was significantly less than last time. Also I do think they will help with heat up of the interior in winter and keeping the sun at bay in summer. I like them so far and will report back if anything negative arises.....The do look great.

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
Done! They look very nice and were easy to install once I got the hang of it. The roller did break and so I had to fool with that some. Noise. Totally subjective but I do think they help with acoustics. Nothing scientific or with specs here but overall the sound of the radio and conversation seem to be less hollow sounding. They do not change wind noise. The fit of the roof panels are the culprit there. On that same note I do think that the sound assassin strips do deaden overall rattle. Took it through a car wash and the sound of the jetted water on the roof was significantly less than last time. Also I do think they will help with heat up of the interior in winter and keeping the sun at bay in summer. I like them so far and will report back if anything negative arises.....The do look great.
Did you take the whole top off or install while still on the Jeep? And what about Satellite reception?

Sponsored

obiwankabaldi

First Name
Lew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
There is a cut out with no foil for the antennae, and I did it with the top on and it was a piece of cake. Pressing up was the only hard part especially since I am short with short arms. But all in all easy. About 1 1/2 hr to do the entire thing including the assassin strips.....

bn13Cooper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited ~Granite
I ordered mine as soon as they became available. In fact so early that they didn’t have instructions available yet. I received an email from the owner apologizing for the lack of installation instructions, however he sent links to the video installation process for the jlu. I must say that the headliner is fantastic! Day versus night after installation. Ordered with sound assassin strips and rear windows.

RonAZ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Is Hothead Headliners still offering a 5% discount? If so, what is the code? Thanks

Found it. "Spring" is accepted for 5% discount. Ordered.

Last edited:

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
I installed mine today. No idea yet if they work to help with either sound or temp. They do look great and the customer service is top notch. Scuff the top lightly, 3-4 passes with the supplied sandpaper. Clean with acetone and apply. Top stays on and cleanup is easily done with a chip blower on your air compressor. My interior is the new tan leather and I vacillated a lot on color. I ended up paying a little extra ($30 I think) for a non stock color. Went with off white and it matches the upholstery pretty close, maybe a tad lighter. BTW, Hothead offers a military/veteran discount.

rizzosmith

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL
Thanks ArmyCrawler. What do you or others think of them as it regards their worth?
I went all out and got the side window liner and sound assassin option on my JK. It was essentially small strips (2"x20") of sound deadener that has a foil outside and sticky, rubber/foam on the other side. It wasn't a magic bean that completely eliminated all road noise, but I feel it was worth the extra charge. I only tried it with the headliners installed as well, and not with just the headliner by itself (no sound assassin strips). Just my two cents....
Sponsored