Sponsored

Safety Group instead of Advanced Safety Group?

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I noticed that many members who have ordered the Safety Group have passed on the Advanced Safety Group. If you custom-ordered, this was a conscious decision. Why not the ASG?
Sponsored

lil_waynes_colon

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys / 88' BMW 528e LS Swap / MK7 GTI
Occupation
Chair Force
I test drove a JLU with ASG and did not even notice the camera box behind the rearview at 6'1". What I did notice, and what I absolutely HATED was the forward collision warning. It was extremely annoying. I wound up not even going with the safety group and just purchased a set of LED tails to match the LED headlights/ fogs. Best route for me tbh.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
What I did notice, and what I absolutely HATED was the forward collision warning. It was extremely annoying.
Did it misbehave in some way during the test drive? That would be troubling if any warts showed up even during a short test drive. The forward collision warning is the feature I'm most interested in.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
What I did notice, and what I absolutely HATED was the forward collision warning. It was extremely annoying.
It can be turned off with a button push and the setting is "sticky".

Later,
Johnny

Sponsored

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
the forward collision warning...
Agreed!

@OP - if you’re keeping your Wrangler bone stock and do not plan on modifying the vehicle, this is a really good option to have.

I’ve never owned a JK so as far as I know, this kind of tech is very new to the Wrangler. Nothing wrong with new tech at all, but I was concerned about potential electronic gremlins.

My concern was two fold: everyday driving in a modified Wrangler with this system passively on and then having it malfunction during high speed high way driving or neighborhood driving. Having 80% of the brakes applied without will for no reason as a surprise is not a fun experience.

Second, if I leave this system on in my Wrangler that’s been modified and I’m enjoying some off road driving to get to a destination and this system kicks in erroneously!? Dangerous!

While I understand that it can be shut off, I would much rather not even take a chance with it.

Don’t get me wrong, I am not hating on the system itself. In other vehicles that I’ve had, this is truly a great system. But for me in a Wrangler, I wanted to do without it. Kind of like the sky one touch top. Cool feature but I’ve had my share of regulators to replace and really enjoy a fully removable hard top or soft top.

But to each his own. Cheers!

Ma$$iveDebtAche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Many, may not have the Advanced Safety Group because it wasn't offered at the time of order/ purchase (May 2018). When I placed my order, the ASG wasn't even an option; the "regular" Safety Group was the only one offered. I don't think it was offered until late in the 2019 production year(?).

agarber5687

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Sport Altitude, '18 Chrysler Pacifica
As others have stated, I did not order it for 2 reasons.
  1. I did not like how much real-estate it took up above my rear view mirror on an already small windshield
  2. I have had issues with it "misbehaving" on my wife's Chrysler Pacifica, which I assume is a very similar module if not exactly the same as the one FCA puts in the Jeep. Multiple occasions of unnecessary alarms going off and nearly causing us to panic break.
  • We also had a weird issue where it was causing a full restart at red lights and it had to be replaced after many trips to the dealership. This may be a one off issue though.
I enjoy the back-up/blind-spot sensors and LED tail lights though from the basic safety package.

Albertaktm

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Willys 2 Door Manual.
Occupation
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
I purposely bypast the ASG. I love driving and paying attention. If you need some device to tell you that you have moved out of your lane, stay off the road. Take an Uber!

Sponsored

lil_waynes_colon

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys / 88' BMW 528e LS Swap / MK7 GTI
Occupation
Chair Force
I purposely bypast the ASG. I love driving and paying attention. If you need some device to tell you that you have moved out of your lane, stay off the road. Take an Uber!
Couldn't agree more :LOL::LOL:

PYLDRVR

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito JLUR
I had the ASG on my Trailhawk and didn't like it all so passed when I ordered the Wrangler.

I don't ever use cruise control, the auto high beam was pretty spotty (constantly turning the highs off when, IMO, it shouldn't have) and having the vehicle scream "BREAK" at you when you're trying to deal with a situation was less than helpful.

I get you can turn off the warnings and not use the cruise control, but then why pay for it to begin with?

SouthLeb

First Name
Rame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUS punk'n
Honestly I didn't want to exceed on budget.
Got the safety package because people don't watch out in parking lots. It has saved me several times already.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I've got good news for you: you can quit avoiding the ASG; it doesn't have a lane departure warning feature. :)

All kidding aside, the "just pay attention" advice is a little cavalier. While there are certainly distracted drivers out there, the rest of us ARE paying attention, but sometimes shit happens. I want some assistance in those cases. Curious, how did you feel about anti-lock brakes in the 1990s?

p.s. I'm not sure that taking an Uber is a step in the right direction safety-wise.

JLUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
I custom ordered mine with the safety package but not the advanced safety group. Primarily because I wanted to save where I could, and I've been driving for many years without auto-cruise, and advanced brake assist.

I wanted LED tail-lights and blind-spots monitor because where I live the onramps immediately merge into traffic with little time offered for over should checks based on the angle they approach.

However I was also pricing out a Grand Cherokee which I had in the same price point and it was with the advanced safety group that gives so much more (lane keep assist and auto parallel and perpendicular parking), and both packages on each vehicle cost the same so that's B.S.... but something deep inside said go for the top-off summer fun instead. I am set to receive mine in a week or so, so time will tell if I made the right call.
Sponsored