Sponsored

Anyone Order the Mopar Cold Air Intake from the Factory?

Combat Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green JL Willys
Was wondering if anybody ordered their JL/JLU with the Mopar CAI from the factory? Does the factory do the hood cutout or do they leave that part to the customer? Any info on the factory hood cutout is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Lol....that would suck if you just got a box in the trunk. I would guess its installed by an aftermarket company or the dealer. If dealers are doing them be prepared for a lot of fucked up hoods.

OP
OP
Combat Chuck

Combat Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green JL Willys
Was wondering if anybody ordered their JL/JLU with the Mopar CAI from the factory? Does the factory do the hood cutout or do they leave that part to the customer? Any info on the factory hood cutout is greatly appreciated.
Anyone???

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Lol....that would suck if you just got a box in the trunk. I would guess its installed by an aftermarket company or the dealer. If dealers are doing them be prepared for a lot of fucked up hoods.
Probably a pretty good margin of error for a screw up. That plastic trim probably hides a lot. lol.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Probably a pretty good margin of error for a screw up. That plastic trim probably hides a lot. lol.
Yeah there is a little overlap with the trim piece. I did see another forum member post a dealer messed the hood up and they had to order him another. The template is pretty self explanatory as to where it is placed so not sure what they did.

What is a bit tight is drilling the outer holes for the trim pegs to fit into. There is not much hood material to work with on the side close to the bumper.

Sponsored

Genedog

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
oh man.. i don't know if i have the marbles to do this myself.. this guy does and it looks really good

OP
OP
Combat Chuck

Combat Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green JL Willys
oh man.. i don't know if i have the marbles to do this myself.. this guy does and it looks really good
I know right!!? I'm tempted to just order the option from the factory just to see, but there is a chance that the hood cut part comes in a box with instructions and template to cut & install it yourself. I'd only be interested if the factory makes the cut and warrants against defects, corrosion, screw ups. etc. Would the factory really paint the edges after the cut??? The factory does not even paint under the door hinges comes to mind. :giggle:

Last edited:

Genedog

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
I completely understand and you have a valid point. I was thinking if going down your path and decided to make a left. :)
I have the CAI from S&B and it sounds great. Took me 20 minutes and It's a closed box design also. I will be following this as I'm curious to learn more.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I know right!!? I'm tempted to just order the option from the factory just to see, but there is a chance that the hood cut part comes in a box with instructions and template to cut & install it yourself. I'd only be interested if the factory makes the cut and warrants against defects, corrosion, screw ups. etc. Would the factory really paint the edges after the cut??? The factory does not even paint under the door hinges comes to mind. :giggle:
There is a third part that installs some of the Wrangler options. I would "assume" the factory has that third party installing them. Whoever they have installing them would be familiar with the procedure so chances for a screw up are probably rare.

It honestly does not look like rocket science. Just have to have some experience with Dremel Cut-Off wheel. It's pretty easy once you get the hang of using the tool.

A second option is buying the parts and having a qualified body shop install it. It should be a easy job for them. Maybe 1-1.5 hours?

ps2baseball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2012 Jeep GC Overland
what does this do exactly? Will the engine sound different?

Sponsored

Aspaztikcolon

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I will if they ever make one for the 2.0T. Right now my junk s&b throws codes at me every week

CraigEdWood

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys JL Firecracker Red
Occupation
Program Director, Brevard Senior Nutrition | Aging Matters in Brevard
I ordered the Mopar CAI option and was disappointed to learn that the factory installed the actual intake box but the “Optional Outer Hood Bezel and Vent” was in a sealed carton in the back of my 2020 Willys JL.

My question is if the vent is optional, what is the difference between air intake without the vent installed vs. vented. Anyone go down that rabbit hole? I don’t want to have someone cut into my hood if it’s not necessary.

NJMAX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon XR
I ordered the Mopar CAI option and was disappointed to learn that the factory installed the actual intake box but the “Optional Outer Hood Bezel and Vent” was in a sealed carton in the back of my 2020 Willys JL.

My question is if the vent is optional, what is the difference between air intake without the vent installed vs. vented. Anyone go down that rabbit hole? I don’t want to have someone cut into my hood if it’s not necessary.
@CraigEdWood I have 22 Rubicon on order that should arrive in the next couple weeks and I ordered the factory Mopar CAI. How have you liked the CAI? Did you feel it helped the MPG or throaty sound? Did you cut the hood? I just can’t do that at this point being so new.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
@CraigEdWood I have 22 Rubicon on order that should arrive in the next couple weeks and I ordered the factory Mopar CAI. How have you liked the CAI? Did you feel it helped the MPG or throaty sound? Did you cut the hood? I just can’t do that at this point being so new.
It seemed to help my MPG when I cut the hood vent. Nothing scientific on my part though. A bit more sound when you give it throttle but quieter at idle. I did it mainly because I love the look of it.
Sponsored