Pulled over.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Just about every state has laws/ regulations for tires to be fully covered by fenders. Although I do think government over-reaches, it is a safety issue.
I also think that many states have laws about this...... I think that the reasons are related to safety......
Sponsored

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
app called Off the Record
Glad to know this exists if I ever need it. I just wandered down a rabbit hole of reading articles and reviews about them, and it sounds legit. The only difference is everything I just read says $250, not $200. But they do offer a money back guarantee.

ImAJeepskate

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport (JLU)
Let me preface by saying this... my driving record is completely clean. It’s been 10+ years since I was even pulled over for speeding.

Got pulled over today. I was going 67 in a 70, but it was clear the state patrol was lined up along the highway just looking for issues. I was kind of stunned because I knew I under the speed limit.

Anyway, the state patrol officer came up... he was actually really cool, but pulled me over because my tires 35” Nitto Ridge Grapplers were outside the stock fenders on my 2019 Sport. He also noted that the taillights (great looking Oracle Lighting LEDs) were too dark and not stock. They are very bright LEDs, so I’m really not sure what the issue is with them.

Although the officer was great and ended up just wanting to talk Jeep stuff, I really don’t feel like being pulled over constantly. Anyone experience this or was it just a one off incident. Are there fender extensions that I can use to get out past the tires? Appreciate any feedback!
FELLOW MINNESOTAN HERE

You just got pulled over by a dick. I have been driving with 35s and no front plate for over a year and no issues. the law in mn is 2 in outside the fender flares

Jeepdude101

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR black
Occupation
Construction field worker
Vehicle Showcase
Here in Texas you do not have to have fenders unless it’s a commercial vehicle there’s no rules on bumpers either or rims or steering or suspension:idea: 5foot lift for Jeep oh well mom won’t be able to get in:)

Sol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2020 JL Willys
Here in Texas you do not have to have fenders unless it’s a commercial vehicle there’s no rules on bumpers either or rims or steering or suspension:idea: 5foot lift for Jeep oh well mom won’t be able to get in:)
Lobbyists for the auto glass industry are strong enough to keep fender laws off the books in TX - I replaced a windshield every other year in my time there.

Not going to be a real popular opinion here:
As a motorcyclist, I see the point of fender laws and the Officer was justified in enforcing the law. It only takes getting hit by one rock thrown out by a vehicle with inadequate fenders (along with aggressive treads) to form an opinion on this topic. I’m glad the OP is looking into a solution to change his rock slinging ways.

Sponsored

richardya

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge 2011
Vehicle Showcase
I once had a cop run his lights pull up next to me to ask if I liked a Mazda I was driving. Cops don’t realize how off putting the sirens and “talk” are. My guess is there was never even a chance you would have been written up. He was trying to be a great guy and not write you up so you would chat.

Jeepdude101

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR black
Occupation
Construction field worker
Vehicle Showcase
Lobbyists for the auto glass industry are strong enough to keep fender laws off the books in TX - I replaced a windshield every other year in my time there.

As a motorcyclist, I see the point of fender laws and the Officer was justified in enforcing the law. It only takes getting hit by one rock thrown out by a vehicle with inadequate fenders (along with aggressive treads) to form an opinion on this topic. I’m glad the OP is looking into a solution to change his rock slinging ways.
There are things a lot more dangerous to a motorcyclist than rock’s (bad drivers in a minivan) anyway when I’m driving a f250 with 38x15.5x20 on 20x12 deep dish rims stay away:rock:

Sol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2020 JL Willys
There are things a lot more dangerous to a motorcyclist than rock’s (bad drivers in a minivan) anyway when I’m driving a f250 with 38x15.5x20 on 20x12 deep dish rims stay away:rock:
Thanks for the advice. Adding it to my checklist of things to avoid when I’m on the bike - you got slotted between carloads of teenagers and fresh roadkill.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Glad to know this exists if I ever need it. I just wandered down a rabbit hole of reading articles and reviews about them, and it sounds legit. The only difference is everything I just read says $250, not $200. But they do offer a money back guarantee.
Perhaps it’s gone up. I got my ticked in August 2019.

Sponsored

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
As others have mentioned, I wouldn't worry about it ~unless~ you get pulled over again. If they are only a little past flush with the fender most wouldn't even notice.

IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
That sucks. I guess there's no law against it in VA since my JLUR is just over a year old and I've never had an issue with it

OP
OP
minisoda

minisoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 392, Escalade, Audi SQ8, 911 Turbo S

I'm a biker too and definitely wouldn't enjoy getting hit by a rock that's anything over marble size! And I wear full gear religiously.

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
One good thing about NYC is the cops here don’t give a crap. I don’t blame them either, they don’t get any respect here.
This doesn’t include me. I’ve got total respect for them. Dumb people here don’t realize what it would be like without law and order.
there are some limited advantages of living in places with real crime.

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
I got pulled over in my red Fiat 124 Spider while doing 72 in a 70 zone. The officer was adamant I was doing 84, which I know I wasn't. Anyway he writes me up. I normally don't fight tickets but this time they really ticked me off. Got home and found an app called Off the Record: you download the app and follow the steps. https://offtherecord.com/

It asks where you got pulled over (State and County), has you take a photo of the ticket and automatically populates all the fields. You review that all the information is correct and submit.

They don't guarantee that they will remove the ticket completely, but they guarantee that they will at least have it changed to a non-moving violation so that it won't affect your record, without having to appear in court. The app then asks for $200 upfront so that they can hook you up with a lawyer near you within 24 hours. I paid the $200 and submitted.

Within 24 hours I get a text from a law firm near me saying that they would be happy to represent me. They would take it over from here. They texted me a few indications of what to expect for next steps and an overall timeframe. In my case, county office processing was taking 2 months for court appearances, so they told me not to worry about it for 2 months.

Sure enough, as the 2 months came up, I got a notification from the county that my ticket had been switched to a no-seatbelt violation and to pay $75. Good riddance. The whole thing cost me $275 and am happy to not have the speeding ticket on my driving record.

I'd recommend using Off the Record by anyone who gets pulled over for speeding...or has the cops' claiming that you were speeding...
I got pulled on my bike going about 72 in a 45 - I was 100% going that fast no doubt. I had just left a freeway and was merging onto a highway and the cop was sitting RIGHT at the marge point and got me before I left the on ramp. There were no questions, I got my ticket, and went to work. I had a really good experience using iticket.law. Got mine brought down to 9 over, which is more than I could have asked for. The website you mention sounds nice as well. Just throwing my opinion into the ring as well.

Edit: and it was only 300$
Sponsored

Last edited: