Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite JLUSport S
Occupation
Parts Person
Hey all,
So I've got a *mostly* stock JLUSport S that I wanna use for longer camping trips preferably off the beaten path. The debate I keep having is whether or not a RTT is worth the $$

I've had it priced out here - for the Rhino rack/pioneer platform ($2600 CAD) and a Tepui 3 person/3 season tent (~$3000 CAD) I just don't know if I can justify the cost.. I know there are cheaper roof rack/tent options out there but this is something I would prefer quality more than savings.

Anyways, I'm decently set up equipment wise for tent camping. I've got an 8 person tent (overkill for me, my partner and our dog), an air mattress with legs, sleeping bags, all other camping stuff. The issue I'm having is 1 - my tent is HUGE! It's something like 16' long and I find it hard to fit into even some car camping/provincial park spots and it's a PITA to lug around (air mattress and tent end up around 100 lbs total) and a bit of a pain to set up.

Basically, is the upfront cost of a roof rack and RTT worth it when I'm already decently set up for ground camping and can easily purchase a different ground tent for a fraction of the cost?
Sponsored

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUM - 3.6L - Sky Touch & 2015 WK2O - 3.6L - IG: @wa0life
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts
Hey all,
So I've got a *mostly* stock JLUSport S that I wanna use for longer camping trips preferably off the beaten path. The debate I keep having is whether or not a RTT is worth the $$

I've had it priced out here - for the Rhino rack/pioneer platform ($2600 CAD) and a Tepui 3 person/3 season tent (~$3000 CAD) I just don't know if I can justify the cost.. I know there are cheaper roof rack/tent options out there but this is something I would prefer quality more than savings.

Anyways, I'm decently set up equipment wise for tent camping. I've got an 8 person tent (overkill for me, my partner and our dog), an air mattress with legs, sleeping bags, all other camping stuff. The issue I'm having is 1 - my tent is HUGE! It's something like 16' long and I find it hard to fit into even some car camping/provincial park spots and it's a PITA to lug around (air mattress and tent end up around 100 lbs total) and a bit of a pain to set up.

Basically, is the upfront cost of a roof rack and RTT worth it when I'm already decently set up for ground camping and can easily purchase a different ground tent for a fraction of the cost?
Off the beaten path is the real question here. How far off? Are you going to be able to have 300 pounds on the roof and 12+ inches of space taken up above you and still get to where you are going without issue?

OP
OP

Saphros

First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite JLUSport S
Occupation
Parts Person
Off the beaten path is the real question here. How far off? Are you going to be able to have 300 pounds on the roof and 12+ inches of space taken up above you and still get to where you are going without issue?
Honestly I don't know. This is my first Jeep and is my daily driver so right now I'm reasonably conservative. Mostly FSR's and some minor rock crawling. Nothing super difficult at this point but I suspect that might change once I've got a bit of experience under my belt.

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Software & Coastal Engineer
I do a lot of backpacking, so I just use a ground tent / hammock. It works for me, and it works for driving to a trailhead and hiking for a few days. Why carry two tents? Space matters a whole lot to me. Your needs and use case might be completely different.

Depending on where in BC you are, I'd check out hammock camping if you haven't. Light weight, doesn't take up much space, very comfortable. I did a lot of that on Vancouver Island and the Olympic Peninsula.

Sponsored

benb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport-S-KIA; 2020 JLU Rubicon
My reason for wanting a RTT is the hard shell ones can be taken down and set up in about a minute. I despise folding tents! I sleep in a bivy when I backpack.

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
My reason for wanting a RTT is the hard shell ones can be taken down and set up in about a minute. I despise folding tents! I sleep in a bivy when I backpack.
Vs 5 minutes or so for a typical 4-6 person tent that has a total weight of around 10-15 pounds?

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't sacrifice the extra weight, poor aerodynamics (ok, even worse than stock), cost, and poor handling just to save 4 minutes.

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Why not try a smaller ground tent,since you are set up for that, say an easy- pitch 10x10.
As you decide what you want to do in terms of off- roading, you might decide on a small tow behind camper, rather than spend a lot on something unproven for you.
I agree.. we considered a RTT but decided against it after watching this video

For us, we're would rather set up once and be able to use the jeep freely than have to pack up everytime... but we're also camp for numerous days.. not just overnight....

benb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport-S-KIA; 2020 JLU Rubicon
Vs 5 minutes or so for a typical 4-6 person tent that has a total weight of around 10-15 pounds?

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't sacrifice the extra weight, poor aerodynamics (ok, even worse than stock), cost, and poor handling just to save 4 minutes.
Its more than just the tent. You need to deal with the air mattresses and sleeping bags/blankets. Those can all stay in the RTT. I can break camp when I am bivy camping in 5 minutes if I press hard to get it done. Tent camping seems to take significantly longer to me.

I agree the weight and aero sucks with RTT. I am leaning towards the Roofnest Falcon since it is one of the thinnest RTT you can get.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Saphros

First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite JLUSport S
Occupation
Parts Person
I agree.. we considered a RTT but decided against it after watching this video

For us, we're would rather set up once and be able to use the jeep freely than have to pack up everytime... but we're also camp for numerous days.. not just overnight....
Well and that's been the other debate for us! I like the idea of overlanding or stay one night and move on trips but I also want to be able to stay a little longer and explore the area and to have to pack up every time would suck!

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 VW Golf R, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, 2015 KTM 500EXC
Vehicle Showcase
Well and that's been the other debate for us! I like the idea of overlanding or stay one night and move on trips but I also want to be able to stay a little longer and explore the area and to have to pack up every time would suck!
I think the inconvenience of having to pack up the RTT depends entirely on which RTT you get. We just got our SkyCamp and area waiting on a Gobi rack (due in May, but we'll see). With no practice I was able to pack up a Skycamp in about 60 seconds, so in the case of this particular RTT this is a non-issue.

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
I think the inconvenience of having to pack up the RTT depends entirely on which RTT you get. We just got our SkyCamp and area waiting on a Gobi rack (due in May, but we'll see). With no practice I was able to pack up a Skycamp in about 60 seconds, so in the case of this particular RTT this is a non-issue.
I think the issue many have with having to pack up camp (RTT) is that camp then appears unattended. At least if there's a tent, anyone who comes by doesn't know if someone is there, and your "abandoned" chairs and stuff won't be stolen. Or you may also lose your camp spot, in some areas. A chair doesn't necessarily indicate the campsite is occupied like a tent does.

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 VW Golf R, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, 2015 KTM 500EXC
Vehicle Showcase
I think the issue many have with having to pack up camp (RTT) is that camp then appears unattended. At least if there's a tent, anyone who comes by doesn't know if someone is there, and your "abandoned" chairs and stuff won't be stolen. Or you may also lose your camp spot, in some areas. A chair doesn't necessarily indicate the campsite is occupied like a tent does.
Yes, I totally get that. I guess it's just that I avoid official campgrounds as much as possible so it's not something that's on my radar. But when there is a concern about losing the site, this does the trick...https://www.nemoequipment.com/product/heliopolis/

OP
OP

Saphros

First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite JLUSport S
Occupation
Parts Person
Yes, I totally get that. I guess it's just that I avoid official campgrounds as much as possible so it's not something that's on my radar. But when there is a concern about losing the site, this does the trick...https://www.nemoequipment.com/product/heliopolis/
I plan on avoiding official campgrounds as well but do still worry about not having a site to come back to, or stolen stuff, with a RTT. I mean time wise to pack up and stuff is a non-issue for me. The set up we have now is longer and more involved by far than what a RTT set up would be.

I like the idea of being off the ground though especially with any off the beaten path camping just for the animals alone. So much to think about haha!
Sponsored