Sponsored

3.0 Diesel EGR tube plugged

Repairable1

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon 3.0 Diesel, 2020 JLU Rubicon 3.6, 2016 JKU Rubicon HardRock LS 6.2, 2019 F150 FX4 SuperCrew Powerstroke 4x4
Anyone with 3.0D had any drivability issues? I have 850 miles on mine. Am traveling the US, towing behind my RV. Got to Vegas, unhooked...went cruising and lost throttle response and started surging. Pulled over. Shut off engine. Restarted engine. No issues. Went another 20 miles, same thing. Local dealership came and got it with a rollback. After sitting a day there, they said EGR tube plugged. 2 weeks to get another one. I am leaving for Cali tomorrow.
Sponsored

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
ah now the JL guys are going to know what us with the WK2 experienced a couple of years ago. I love ours after deleting EGR and emissions, but no way in hell I'd ever have another ecodiesel that isn't deleted.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
ah now the JL guys are going to know what us with the WK2 experienced a couple of years ago. I love ours after deleting EGR and emissions, but no way in hell I'd ever have another ecodiesel that isn't deleted.
Yea and none of the emissions parts are covered after 36k miles...that gives the canadian tuners less than two years to sort out an ECU mod for deletes because thereā€™s precisely zero chance Iā€™m paying out of pocket to replace failed DPF, EGR, or SCR components. Having spent over 5 hours under my rig already, I can guarantee these first few emissions issues are far from the last...absolute rat nest under there.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Yeah I've been reading through some Ram 2500 Cummins forums this morning and they have the same issue. None of the SCR or DPF parts are covered because they're considered "wear items" and the EGR is only covered to a certain mileage. 80k I think. And, you cannot purchase an extended warranty that covers them. So, when they fail, and they will fail, you're looking at $3k or more for an exhaust, $1,500 or more for sensors, God knows how much for EGR system, hundreds for dealer programming, etc.

And we won't even get into that Bosch CP4.2 fuel injection system that can go in excess of $10k to repair if you happen to get bad fuel somewhere out on the road....and they try to not cover that also. They simply blame it on "poor fuel" and that's their easy out.

It's terrifying. But, I've heard that in a few cases, owners have gotten their repairs covered under their insurance policies. I'm sure that equals a rate hike, but if it gets you back on the road without taking out a home equity loan, then so be it.

Sponsored

Nihkole

First Name
Nichole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL 3.0 Diesel, 2000 Chevrolet Camaro
I just texted Nick at Whitten Jeep of Ashland and asked for the parts numbers of the stuff that they had to replace/fix and I'll post them here if he gets back to me

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
Yea and none of the emissions parts are covered after 36k miles...that gives the canadian tuners less than two years to sort out an ECU mod for deletes because thereā€™s precisely zero chance Iā€™m paying out of pocket to replace failed DPF, EGR, or SCR components. Having spent over 5 hours under my rig already, I can guarantee these first few emissions issues are far from the last...absolute rat nest under there.
Can you take some better pictures of the offal under there?

Ruri

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD, Gen 2 Raptor, 997.1 Turbo, F90 Competition
Occupation
Not FDIC
Nichole (Nihkole) had an EGR issue. They had to drill out a larger hole and that solved her issue.

This seems like a common solution to fix any American car problems.

I just got rid of my Ford Craptor and everyoneā€™s solution for every problem is to drill a weep hole.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Anyone with 3.0D had any drivability issues? I have 850 miles on mine. Am traveling the US, towing behind my RV. Got to Vegas, unhooked...went cruising and lost throttle response and started surging. Pulled over. Shut off engine. Restarted engine. No issues. Went another 20 miles, same thing. Local dealership came and got it with a rollback. After sitting a day there, they said EGR tube plugged. 2 weeks to get another one. I am leaving for Cali tomorrow.
Hi Repairable1,
We are terribly sorry to hear that this happened. Feel free to reach out to our team via private message with you VIN. We'd be happy to look into this and offer our assistance.

Kathryn
JeepCares

Sponsored

OP
OP
Repairable1

Repairable1

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon 3.0 Diesel, 2020 JLU Rubicon 3.6, 2016 JKU Rubicon HardRock LS 6.2, 2019 F150 FX4 SuperCrew Powerstroke 4x4
Sent a PM. I will wait for your response. Thank You.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Sent a PM. I will wait for your response. Thank You.
Thanks, @Repairable1,
I was able to follow up with your privately. Please continue to reach out in PMs to ensure no lost messages.

Kathryn
JeepCares

laniercruzer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392 XR
Anyone even thinking about buying an eco diesel better head in over to the Ram 1500 ecodiesel forum...I had a 2016 that I luckily got rid of prior to things going crazy. They are a time bomb...it was fantastic to drive, but good lord they do not know how to fix the emission crap equipment on them. Tons of blown engines, and bunch of EGR fires now that have basically melted the truck to the ground. Ram is of course fighting tooth and nail with everyone. Until they get it straightened out, stay well away.

NBB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Lol - romantic diesel naivety meets post 2007 emission system reality. All diesel, all makes, all years since 2007 are an expensive high maintenance royal pain - surf ANY forum for ANY diesel powered vehicle since 2007. It's been 13 years - and it's still apparently not yet common knowledge.