Sponsored

Mahle OX1213D Oil Filter [5,000 Miles]

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
From my 2019 Jeep Rubicon with the 3.6L running Castrol Edge. This Mahle filter held up very well and did not twist as is common with most filters for this engine. For example, I even had a FRAM Ultra that twisted. A Hastings [ClarCor) LF697 took its place and I have a WIX WL10010 on deck after that. Once I see the Hastings and WIX, I will decide on the brand going forward. Thus far, Mahle is the winner.

Enjoy

HtGqrJ.jpg

HtGn7R.jpg

HtGoep.jpg

HtGxmN.jpg

HtGIII.jpg

HtGCdv.jpg
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
That looks fantastic! I'm wondering if it is slightly shorter? If you have one, set it next to a Fram or Mopar and see if there is variance in the length.

Do they publish filtering efficiency?

I've got a stack of Mobil 1 filters, including one in the engine now at about 6500k. I'm looking forward to how they do. Twist or not, I'll be using them all. They are 99% efficient down to 30 microns, single pass. That's a little less efficient than the Fram Ultra or Fram Tough Guard, but still very good among all that are out there.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That looks fantastic! I'm wondering if it is slightly shorter? If you have one, set it next to a Fram or Mopar and see if there is variance in the length.

Do they publish filtering efficiency?

I've got a stack of Mobil 1 filters, including one in the engine now at about 6500k. I'm looking forward to how they do. Twist or not, I'll be using them all. They are 99% efficient down to 30 microns, single pass. That's a little less efficient than the Fram Ultra or Fram Tough Guard, but still very good among all that are out there.
I have a WIX, Mahle, and Hastings which are new the box. I will try to get a photo with all 3 lined up. I was impressed with this filter, it is the only one which has not twisted yet. I sent Mahle a request for the efficiency rating.

madscientist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Wrangler 3.6 AT
I have a WIX, Mahle, and Hastings which are new the box. I will try to get a photo with all 3 lined up. I was impressed with this filter, it is the only one which has not twisted yet. I sent Mahle a request for the efficiency rating.
Mahle makes an excellent filter. I've used them for years and have been very satisfied.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Here is what a guy posted on BITOG from when he asked Mahle about their specs for his Subaru application. I'd guess it is similar for the Pentastar, except that the bypass is in the Pentastar and not the filter, for our application, so it will be set right where FCA and God intended it to be, so no worries on that. It looks like efficiency is pretty close to M1 and probaby better than the Mopar, so I'd run it with confidence, especially with no twisting. (Although I think the twisting again causes no harm as long as pleats stay together. I've never seen even a Mopar with a tear, and there's no way the Fram XG will tear, as strong as it's media and mesh is.

I'd like to see that Mahle torn apart. I wouldn't be surprised if its pleats are backed by some kind of strong mesh. That thing kept its figure nicely!

"The specifications for OC 1177 are:

Bypass valve opening pressure: 130 kPA/18.85 PSI

Beta Ratio:
50% -- 18 micron
75% -- 24 micron
90% -- 28 micron

Nominal Flow Rate: 20 l/min

Kind regards,

Lisa Levra
MAHLE Aftermarket Inc.
Product Management (MND)"

For comparison, the Mobil 1 filter is 99% at 30 microns. I'd guess that's probably close or spot on with the Mahle, and both are better than the Mopar, which we know is easily good enough.

It'll be fun to see my M1 after 7500 or 8k miles and see how it looks. It is also supposed to be backed by some kind of mesh, so I expect it to be strong, even if twisted.

I still can't help but wonder if the Fram and the Mopar are slightly long. Mine twisted (the Mopar was worse, but still fully intact) even though the cap was tightened to factory spec with a torque wrench, and no tighter.

All in all, if the Mahle is still OEM for BMW and Mercedes, and good enough for them, then they'll be great in any other application.

Sponsored

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I sent Mahle a request for the efficiency rating.
Very disappointing, but not unexpected (I replied stating they did not answer the question):
Mahle said:
Thank you for your recent Inquiry.

Question: Can you tell me the efficiency ratings for the Mahle oil filter for this engine which is a Mahle OX1213D? Thanks in advance!

Answer: Our filter is made to exactly meet the matching OE specifications for form, fitment & function.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Very disappointing, but not unexpected (I replied stating they did not answer the question):
Mahle responded back to my second query, but they left out part of the data (and it does not appear to be available) so not really possible to calculate the efficiency. 13 microns is pretty good, but at what % is the question. In any event, it should be at least as good as the Mopar filter since it meets "all necessary OE replacement guidelines and is a direct interchange from the most current Chrysler OE number 6819134AC." However, it is cellulose media which in and of itself is not an issue, but most of the "premium" filters use synthetic or synthetic blend for the media.

Mahle said:
Question: Can you tell me the efficiency ratings for the Mahle oil filter for this engine which is a Mahle OX1213D? Thanks in advance!
Thanks for the response, but you did not answer the question. What is the efficiency rating of an OXD filter? 20um@90%, 40um@90%, etc.

Answer: The only published data available for our filter is the material which is Cellulose & the Nominal Micron rating which is 13. Most of the efficiency information is proprietary due to OE agreements. Rest assured the Mahle filter will meet all necessary OE replacement guidelines. It is a direct interchange from the most current Chrysler OE number 6819134AC.

History:
Date From Message
2020-03-02 MAHLE Our filter is made to exactly meet the matching OE specifications for form, fitment & function.
2020-03-02 MAHLE Thanks for the response, but you did not answer the question. What is the efficiency rating of an OXD filter? 20um@90%, 40um@90%, etc.
2020-03-02 MAHLE The only published data available for our filter is the material which is Cellulose & the Nominal Micron rating which is 13. Most of the efficiency information is proprietary due to OE agreements. Rest assured the Mahle filter will meet all necessary OE replacement guidelines. It is a direct interchange from the most current Chrysler OE number 6819134AC.

Last edited:

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
I think Fram Ultra Guard has same stats and is cheaper. Of course...I could be wrong.
Sponsored