Sponsored

Mopar Roof Rack Mods (security, paint protection, + whistling SOLVED)

OP
OP
paulr

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
Is roof rack theft chop shop a thing? Maybe it has do do with region and where you live. I've never really thought about it until now.
It’s not necessarily theft of the rack, it’s what’s in the rack. For example expensive skis stored overnight. If you can just remove the rack and take the skis and all easily then it’s an issue. Obviously anyone really determined will get it off regardless but a deterrent is helpful.
Sponsored

Rubi2876

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Rubicon
It’s not necessarily theft of the rack, it’s what’s in the rack. For example expensive skis stored overnight. If you can just remove the rack and take the skis and all easily then it’s an issue. Obviously anyone really determined will get it off regardless but a deterrent is helpful.
That makes sense! Like if you have a cargo tub or something, its easier to just unbolt the rack and then off with the goods! I swear this world :( I'm debating on getting the Mopar or the Rhino Rack vortex R110. The mopars look like the stick out on the sides of the vehicle more than the rhino rack ones, also they look higher in the pics. My goal is a batwing awning so as tight as I can get the awning to the vehicle is the goal. I would like to have a rooftop tent and all the fun stuff but it doesn't warrant the cost. I don't want to drill into my hardtop, nor do I want a full gobi style rack because of gas mileage/daily driver.

Grateful1

First Name
Grateful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 1998 TJ Sport 2011 Extreme Camper
Occupation
HR Manager
That makes sense! Like if you have a cargo tub or something, its easier to just unbolt the rack and then off with the goods! I swear this world :( I'm debating on getting the Mopar or the Rhino Rack vortex R110. The mopars look like the stick out on the sides of the vehicle more than the rhino rack ones, also they look higher in the pics. My goal is a batwing awning so as tight as I can get the awning to the vehicle is the goal. I would like to have a rooftop tent and all the fun stuff but it doesn't warrant the cost. I don't want to drill into my hardtop, nor do I want a full gobi style rack because of gas mileage/daily driver.
I think I read on this thread or a previous thread the Thule lock works with Mopar RR. Replace the outside bolt with the lock.

KDoc

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Jeep Cherokee Unlimited 2015 Diesel, 2019 JL Overland ( Sahara in USA)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Glad I ran across this thread. I installed mine last weekend. I haven't had it on the highway yet so I don't how bad it whistles. Does anybody know how the end caps come off? I got the rack to mount an awning to and I need to get the end caps off.
Yes the end caps come off easy enough , I too installed an awning on the mopar roof racks .

Sponsored

KDoc

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Jeep Cherokee Unlimited 2015 Diesel, 2019 JL Overland ( Sahara in USA)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
How did you attach your awning to the Mopar rails?
The rails have slots so I had a local fabricator weld a washer to the head of an appropriate bolt then I filed two sides flat to the correct size to allow the new bolt to slide into the rail . There after just used the bracket supplied with the awning .

DaveN007

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
That picture shows one crossbar mounted to the freedom tops. You aren’t supposed to do this. Here is what they look like in proper position.
3CA97201-EB9D-438C-89FD-5E44ADFD6FF4.jpeg

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU (SOLD - March 2021)
Occupation
SD-WAN Engineer - Technical Author
The vinyl cutter is called a Cricut. Pretty inexpensive and hooks up to your computer. I use illustrator to do all my graphics and templates.
Do you remember the settings you used on this? I have a cricut, but never uploaded the dimensions, etc to make it a perfect cut.

AirportDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUXR, 2018 GC Trailhawk Hemi
Occupation
Aeronautics Professional
Do you remember the settings you used on this? I have a cricut, but never uploaded the dimensions, etc to make it a perfect cut.
I would sure love a set of these red decal inserts for my rack- if anyone has the Cricut and is willing to make me a set, I will gladly pay!

And thanks for all the great install tips- my set up has zero whistling up to 80 mph, and barely noticeable wind noise at all.

IMG_8663.jpeg

Sponsored

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
I would sure love a set of these red decal inserts for my rack- if anyone has the Cricut and is willing to make me a set, I will gladly pay!

And thanks for all the great install tips- my set up has zero whistling up to 80 mph, and barely noticeable wind noise at all.

IMG_8663.jpeg
I've got a plotter and should have some red vinyl sitting around. I'll see if @paulr will share his file/dimensions with me.

AirportDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUXR, 2018 GC Trailhawk Hemi
Occupation
Aeronautics Professional
I've got a plotter and should have some red vinyl sitting around. I'll see if @paulr will share his file/dimensions with me.
Man that would be great! I PM'd him, but haven't heard back. Since you're in Denver too, I'd throw in a cold beer or two also!

OP
OP
paulr

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
That picture shows one crossbar mounted to the freedom tops. You aren’t supposed to do this. Here is what they look like in proper position.
3CA97201-EB9D-438C-89FD-5E44ADFD6FF4.jpeg
yes that's been mentioned earlier in the thread already, the picture was pulled of a retailer's website I didn't make it myself, just used it to illustrate the various parts of the roof rack I am referring to

It was kind of trial and error just kept squeezing/tweaking the height/width of the logo until it fit decently into the slots. The cut settings were just on standard vinyl.

The file I have is just a cricut file, it won't work with another type of plotter. For the Jeep logo I just pulled it off the internet, you should be able to find a standard vector Jeep logo online to download as a starting point then just tweak the dimensions with trial and error until it fits

OP
OP
paulr

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
This info has been added to the main post:

PRINT YOUR OWN WIT THESE FILES: Due to overwhelming request I have posted the Cricut project files as well as vector files if you are not using a Cricut below. Please note these will most likely require some trial/error and adjustment on the dimensions, but this should get you really close as a starting point.

Vector files: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=09444917626491268435
Cricut file: https://design.cricut.com/landing/project-detail/5e5d3ddb7dd8b4069b19e189
Cricut file: https://design.cricut.com/landing/project-detail/5e5d3e344c66f206a77638b6

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
This info has been added to the main post:

PRINT YOUR OWN WIT THESE FILES: Due to overwhelming request I have posted the Cricut project files as well as vector files if you are not using a Cricut below. Please note these will most likely require some trial/error and adjustment on the dimensions, but this should get you really close as a starting point.

Vector files: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=09444917626491268435
Cricut file: https://design.cricut.com/landing/project-detail/5e5d3ddb7dd8b4069b19e189
Cricut file: https://design.cricut.com/landing/project-detail/5e5d3e344c66f206a77638b6
:beer:

I've got an old Cricut Expression (I think), that I bought specifically because I can use 3rd party software with it. I'll see if I can get those files to work on it.
Sponsored