Sponsored

Undercoating (need northerner opinion)

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
I would avoid the dealer undercoating. There are better third party options.

I would also avoid any of those black tar-like undercoatings. They help at first, but they eventually crack and flake and then trap moisture inside and make the problem worse in the end. There are wax and oil based options that are better in my opinion.

Check out my rustproofing poll here:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/the-great-rust-proofing-poll.3843/

Fluid Film (was based) and Krown (oil based) are in the lead.
Sponsored

jhern88

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRANGLER SPORT JL 4 DOORS V6
I second Fluid Film or Krown. I have a local Krown dealer near me and get my undercarriage done once a year. Amazing stuff and will keep your undercarriage looking like new, even in the Northeast.
Fluid film is okay not the best collect dirt also wash away when you do car wash.

jhern88

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRANGLER SPORT JL 4 DOORS V6
I would avoid the dealer undercoating. There are better third party options.

I would also avoid any of those black tar-like undercoatings. They help at first, but they eventually crack and flake and then trap moisture inside and make the problem worse in the end. There are wax and oil based options that are better in my opinion.

Check out my rustproofing poll here:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/the-great-rust-proofing-poll.3843/

Fluid Film (was based) and Krown (oil based) are in the lead.

Fluid film is okay not the best collect dirt also wash away when you do car wash.

Crum44

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordering 2022 Willys
Has anyone used Line X for undercoating? I'm in NJ, called them for a quote on my 2022 willys. They quoted me $1k. Was is average life span for a undercoating? Should it be done every year or 2? In NJ they coat roads with salt till its white. Plus we go on IBSTP for fishing and driving on beach. So looking to protect against salt spray. Has anyone on here just not undercoat and just religiously clean jeep and undercarriage? Sorry I am a newbie if these questions have already been discussed. Just looking to keep my Willys in good condition.
Thanks in advance.

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
Dealer Rustproofing is going to be about as nothing as you can get, long ago folks like z-bart and rusty-jones would actually drill holes in doors and panels to get the wands inside to apply rustproofing, unfortunately very few were trained properly and ended up causing more rust then preventing. The ones done correctly are probably still rust free it was a good product.
Again, everyone says Fluid Film is the way to go so I'd definitely try that one
I just sold my 2010 last summer and after 11 years the rust monster was just coming, the only holes were in those thin metal shields in the middle and that seemed to be because crap sat on top of those. I gobbed Rustoleum Black paint on everything under the Jeep with a big brush after cleaning it and it probably has another 10 years left for the new owner now.
Try that Fluid Film though, I trust this forum as these guys have been through it all :jk:

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
Well, you wanted our opinions...

Having spent most of my life in the rust belt, if you wanted your car to last, you got it rust proofed, especially in the '60s, '70s, and '80s. If you didn't, plan on having rust holes in 4-6 years. There used to be a bunch of places you could go to get your car rustproofed - Rusty Jones, Ziebart, etc.

Cars nowadays are better, to a point - my friend's '15 Silverado has rust holes in the bed sides, whereas my other buddies '16 Ram does not. The Ram was rustproofed (Ziebarted), the Silverado was not. I remember years ago, that when you would go looking for a used car, if it had the Ziebart plugs in the body you knew it would hold up against rust.

You can take your chances that washings and such will help keep rust at bay, and they will somewhat, but for my money, you gotta get a vehicle rustproofed if you live in the rust belt and plan on keeping your car/truck/Jeep for any length of time. My JLU will be rustproofed either by Ziebart or maybe Crown before it sees another winter. Either company will offer a warranty for any vehicle rustproofed within 12 months of it's in-service date. For the cost, it's well worth it.

BUT - avoid rubberized undercoating like the plague. That crap will only hold moisture in and cause rust!

Just my 2 cents...
Sponsored