Sponsored

COMMON SCAM ALERT! Unsolicited PMs asking you to email someone!

User Banned

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Guitars & Drums
WARNING TO ALL USERS -- WATCH OUT FOR UNSOLICITED PRIVATE MESSAGE!

I have a WTB post up on here looking for a rear window for my premium soft top. User Robert65 sent me a PM telling me to email him [email censored] because he has a tinted rear window for sale.

So, I emailed Matthew and got a response with a photo of soft top windows and a price of $200. When I told him I only send Paypal via Goods and Services, he sent me a link to a fake Paypal account (paypal.me) and said he only accepts Paypal as Gifts.

RED FLAG SCAM ALERT! What an idiot. Do people actually fall for this shit? A quick google of his email address yields lots of scam results. Please consider this my PSA.

Jeep Wrangler JL COMMON SCAM ALERT!  Unsolicited PMs asking you to email someone! Robert65.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL COMMON SCAM ALERT!  Unsolicited PMs asking you to email someone! Matthew Salazar Email.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL COMMON SCAM ALERT!  Unsolicited PMs asking you to email someone! matthewsalazar376
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Thank you for posting this PSA / warning. That user has already been banned.

Going forward, if anyone should receive any private messages with this general patttern (unsolicited PM asking you to email a random unknown email address), please report it to us using the report function in the PM. Thank you.

Sponsored

Lapis

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon Ocean Blue
I thank you for taking the time to post this and alerting us all. I do see this is a scam.

I would however like to point out that paypal.me links are legitimate. It is a service though PayPal that allows you to create a link to give out that allows you to be paid even if the user does not have a PayPal account. It is not limited to "Friends & Family" (gift) payments and you can receive all the same protections you would regularly through PayPal (as long as you pay "Goods & Services") Clarification: the link is generated as either "Friends & Family" or "Goods & Services", So depending on how the requester has set it up, will be how you are paying.

I recommend anyone purchasing online through PayPal, whether you send from paypal.com, paypal app, or a paypal.me link, to use "Goods & Services" There is a small fee, but it offers a number of protections to the buyer that you do not receive with "Friends & Family" payments

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I recommend anyone purchasing online through PayPal, whether you send from paypal.com, paypal app, or a paypal.me link, to use "Goods & Services" There is a small fee, but it offers a number of protections to the buyer that you do not receive with "Friends & Family" payments
^^ this all day ^^
Though I not had a bad experience with anyone on the forum, one can never be too sure and scammers abound even when they seem to be legitimate. Using Good and Services will allow you to file a dispute to have PayPal investigate whereas Friends & Family does not.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Here is a post that I think could possibly be from a scammer... what do you think?
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...es-front-2-5-reservoir-shocks-2-3-lift.56036/

Look carefully/ scrutinize his forum post count/his posts and today posts an ad here wanting $900, plus shipping for a $1300, new part.

I smell dead fish or something....

Could be legit, but no way in hell would I send $900+ to this guy... no way.......

ErAcEr

First Name
Matthew (Mateo)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 ZH2 , 2018 Z900, 2013 Vulcan 1700
Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Excellent catch! Scammers are trying many many new tactics since more people are home with corona fear.

Stay vigilant my friends!

Jitzy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
Occupation
Retired Police, Now Certified Custom Club Fitter
Here is a post that I think could possibly be from a scammer... what do you think?
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...es-front-2-5-reservoir-shocks-2-3-lift.56036/

Look carefully/ scrutinize his forum post count/his posts and today posts an ad here wanting $900, plus shipping for a $1300, new part.

I smell dead fish or something....

Could be legit, but no way in hell would I send $900+ to this guy... no way.......
this was something from last year

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/32964/#post-756114

Bota

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2dr
I just got scammed by this. This was my first time trying to buy from someone on this forum and I got taken like a chump.

Forum member: Dyhan

Monday at 5:51 AM

Mail [email protected] he has 7in radio for sale
Sponsored