Sponsored

Proper way to hook winch to battery

Jcmoney1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
I’ve seen some debate as to how to hook up your winch to the battery, specifically which pole the (+) connection should go on. What’s everyone’s opinion on this? I currently have my connected like this, but some posts I’ve read have indicated that it should be going on the middle pole or you could otherwise melt the battery? Thoughts?
CF896888-5185-4357-94E3-EF7CEB07E7CC.jpeg
Sponsored

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
this is news to me. i'm curious the response. I have mine to the same terminal as you I believe.

KGriner

First Name
K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
I’ve seen some debate as to how to hook up your winch to the battery, specifically which pole the (+) connection should go on. What’s everyone’s opinion on this? I currently have my connected like this, but some posts I’ve read have indicated that it should be going on the middle pole or you could otherwise melt the battery? Thoughts?
CF896888-5185-4357-94E3-EF7CEB07E7CC.jpeg
I’d be curious to know how hooking it up to any of those terminals could melt anything

that’s one solid metal piece, I don’t think there’s any power allocation that’s tab specific....

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR 2 Door, 21 JLU TD, 06 GC, 54 Willys SW
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
I used the terminal on the right also triggered it with AUX4 and it hasn't caused me any problems.

IMG_2712.jpg

Last edited:

TylerU

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU
I used the terminal on the right also triggered it with AUX4 and it hasn't caused me any problems.

IMG_2712.jpg
How did you connect it through the auxiliary switch? I just installed my auxiliary switch last weekend and was wondering about this very topic.

Sponsored

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
Any recommendations on brand?
warn has them on amazon. without research that seems like the simplest option. Assuming the amperage is correct any of them should work. Basically it disconnects the battery from the winch unless the solenoid is engaged. The aux wires obviously are not stout enough to power things like a winch or air compressor. I never bothered, just ran it to the battery.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology

IMG_2712.jpg
This is the best way, but I'd add a fuse between battery and solenoid. If that solenoid ever shorts out, or the winch, you got a dead short that is not fused. That will melt something.

I use this one, with a 300A fuse. It mounts right to the same battery terminal so no extra wires needed.

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Sys...81PDBK8TZBD&psc=1&refRID=P1ZJ2C8QG81PDBK8TZBD

And the fuse it uses (buy some spares):

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Sys...2X8P6AEWE8Q1&refRID=46AK8MFT2X8P6AEWE8Q1&th=1

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
How did you connect it through the auxiliary switch? I just installed my auxiliary switch last weekend and was wondering about this very topic.
I have the factory installed auxiliary switches installed and they have all 4 switches wired inside the cabin (like I would bet yours is) as well as in the engine compartment. I don't know if the add on AUX switches have those. Look at the solenoid and there is a small red wire, That is one of my AUX switch wire. Turn it on and it lets current go from the battery to the winch.

Sponsored

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
This is the best way, but I'd add a fuse between battery and solenoid. If that solenoid ever shorts out, or the winch, you got a dead short that is not fused. That will melt something.

I use this one, with a 300A fuse. It mounts right to the same battery terminal so no extra wires needed.

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Sys...81PDBK8TZBD&psc=1&refRID=P1ZJ2C8QG81PDBK8TZBD

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Sys...2X8P6AEWE8Q1&refRID=46AK8MFT2X8P6AEWE8Q1&th=1
That is a good idea, I think I'll "borrow" it from you. Cheap insurance for less than $30.00.

Mikepa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR, '11 LR4, '21 F-150 FX4, '08 620i Gator

Any reason why one cannot use this fuse w/o the solenoid switch setup? Not yet having aux switches, I do not mind connecting my Warn directly to the battery BUT want to protect all things electrical from an event that would cause a short of the winch power. Thx.

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
Any reason why one cannot use this fuse w/o the solenoid switch setup?
Mike, you absolutely can use only the fuse or go direct to the battery without a fuse. I don't recommend it though. The fuse will only blow when it exceeds 300 AMPS.

I chose to use the solenoid so that I don't have power going to the winch during the 99.99% of the time it is just sitting there waiting to be used. Having that cable energized all the time creates a very high energy source that could short out (such as wear by rubbing on the frame, off road scraping, weather getting into the control box or water crossing to name a few) without the ability to disconnect it. There is also a potential for a runaway winch situation where it to stays engaged when using it which is a LOW probability bust still possible. I just think having a way to disconnect the winch from the battery is a smart safety measure.

Mikepa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR, '11 LR4, '21 F-150 FX4, '08 620i Gator
Mike, you absolutely can use only the fuse or go direct to the battery without a fuse. I don't recommend it though.

I chose to use the solenoid so that I don't have power going to the winch during the 99.99% of the time it is just sitting there waiting to be used. Having that cable energized all the time creates a very high energy source that could short out (such as wear by rubbing on the frame, off road scraping, weather getting into the control box or water crossing to name a few) without the ability to disconnect it. There is also a potential for a runaway winch situation where it to stays engaged when using it which is a LOW probability bust still possible. I just think having a way to disconnect the winch from the battery is a smart safety measure.
Thanks. I suspected such but want to be sure not to miss anything. I have the Warn solenoid kit in my Amazon wish list. I just haven't decided yet on going with MOPAR 4 AUX or 8 switch setup from SwitchPro or other.
Sponsored