$uicide$hift

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
oh roger - meant to only discuss tires. My "build plan" is actually an overland-type vehicle - steel bumper (something besides the stock because aftermarket options are endless) with a winch, low profile roof rack, hi-jack, etc.

and as far as tire upgrading goes, it wouldn't even be considered until the stocks are starting to at least pretend needing replacing. I'd most likely keep the stock rims.

appreciate the feedback - yes, recovery gear (and overland gear, and trailer-gear, and who-knows-what-else gear) will come well before the $1500 tire investment
Another thought with your plans is the additional weight you will be putting on the Jeep. Some of those links talk about it and you can do some more researching for what may work for you. You may not need to get a "lift" but either a small lift or different springs / shocks etc may be wanted to keep the Jeep at stock height or a bit higher. With additional weight the stock setup may sag and bring the height down an inch or two.
Sponsored

passingnotes

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S 2 Door
I had driven back to Dallas from Austin to get my tires and rims on, and I was worried about the same thing. I had read that comment and really was considering how different it would make it. As I was driving I noticed that even with the stock tires and wheels on it really had a hard time staying in 8th. It seems like the jeep cruises pretty comfortably around 80/85 and it starts becoming more of a push toward 90. It does it easily, but I have to be much heavier on the gas pedal to keep it there. After I put my 285/75/17's on and drove back to Austin on them, I didn't notice a huge difference at all, and after having gone through the new wheels/tires/lift process a few times I was really relieved. The tires gave it enough height for now, and kept the power that I really loved about the JL. The only real difference i have seen is I noticed my gas mileage has gone down about 2 mpg less than where I was at stock. I seem to be hovering around 16, but this being a jeep, i am not complaining. My first JK was the 2010 and after the lift and tires, with that mini-van engine in it I was lucky to get 10-11 MPG in it. I will be running the super chip when it comes out, that made a HUGE difference in my 2012 jk. The nittos I got are really 34's, and i have no regrets. It kept the handling that I like so much, and gave me a more aggressive look, for now I am satisfied, idk how long that will last before i'm back to chewing over the lift, but hoping to get a couple of years down the road. I am going to concentrate on the other mods I can do, getting my bumpers changed out, side steps, getting my Warn winch back on etc, etc.
what are the 34 nittos you put on? and doesn’t that run without a lift? and does the spare fit on the back at that diameter?

OP
OP
$uicide$hift

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I plan to install the Mopar 2" lift with 35s. Does anything need to be reprogramed to accommodate the larger tires? If so, who usually does this? The dealer?
@Riviera was able to get his dealer to perform this task for $125.00. Check out his post HERE

mcclain

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU - White
what are the 34 nittos you put on? and doesn’t that run without a lift? and does the spare fit on the back at that diameter?
I put on the Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/75/R17's, The spare fits great and I have had zero rattle and there has been no rub yet. I've taken it offroading but just trails, no rock climbing so far, the grip on the tires were fantastic on the dirt, in the rain on the freeway they handled it well for the tread, and highway driving is great.

passingnotes

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S 2 Door
th
I put on the Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/75/R17's, The spare fits great and I have had zero rattle and there has been no rub yet. I've taken it offroading but just trails, no rock climbing so far, the grip on the tires were fantastic on the dirt, in the rain on the freeway they handled it well for the tread, and highway driving is great.
thanks - sold! now i just need my 2 door...

Sponsored

Bingy

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
I plan to install the Mopar 2" lift with 35s. Does anything need to be reprogramed to accommodate the larger tires? If so, who usually does this? The dealer?
My dealer in Colorado says a speedo re-program is necessary for the 35's. Their quote was $195. I'm not sure if a specialty shop does this, I'm sure they can.

Geral Hasten

First Name
Geral
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
As noted with tons of JKs traded in almost immediately after someone puts a lift on. Seen it over and over again. People just don’t know what they are getting themselves into sometimes. Good post!
I have owned 12 each, JKU since 2008, lifted 6 of them, still have my 2016 with 3.5 Jspec lift, which lead to big brake kit $1900 new wheels, $1100, 35 inch tires $1500, re geared to 4:88 $1600, rides like a buckboard drinks the fuel and hard to get into.
Goes over big rocks smoother 2 times a year, I have $62K tied up in this rig, but it looks COOL .
Today I purchased an additional jeep Wrangler, 2018 JLU Rubicon it will remain stock for a while but will never be loaded like my 2016, it will be my RV, R pod tow vehicle to Ouray Colorado two times a year.
COOL cost a lot, will it do more of course, but will you take it there, will a stock Rubicon take you where you want to go most likely,
it is practical only if you like it and can afford it
Have fun wheeling, enjoy the ride you will pay for it.

IMG-3168.JPG

OP
OP
$uicide$hift

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Geral Hasten

YUP! When I looked into doing it right I left mine stock. I love the look but did not want to spend that much money for additions that I would never actually use to a point that they would benefit me.

I was new to Jeeps and figured I would just see what type of off road I may do first and figured out pretty quickly that my stock setup runs anything I am going to drive through perfectly fine.

Nice Rubicon, now where are the pics of this other monster? :like:

JeepEagle1

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon Punk'n Metallic
Does anyone have a picture of a JLUR with the Mopar lift and 33s? I'm debating whether or not I should replace the tires now or later...

EROCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
I lived at 11k elevation in Colorado for two years with no cell reception in the area and The steepest road grade in America as a driveway. You never saw big lifts or fat tires up in Gold Hill because they didn’t have a purpose. Pizza cutter tractor tires were the norm and everyone knew when you saw a big fullsized pickup, jacked up in the air you were visiting. Locals mostly drove Subaru’s.

I now live in coastal nc where there are literally no rocks to drive over within 200 miles and jacked up pickups with tough guy rims and tires are the norm. These guys are the people getting stuck in soft sand at the beach while the stock wranglers and Tacoma’s cruise on by.

Although they look cool I decided I will never be swapping rims and tires as I love the way it rides when I bought it. Also I don’t think you get that money back when it comes time to sell. I’d rather spend the 10k that others spend modding on two killer vacations, a week off to drive up pacific coast highway, fishing trips etc...

Plus my wife and her friends think that a lifted/modded rig means you need to compensate.

I’m glad others do it though so I can live vicariously through them though.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
There really are very few trails in Colorado you couldn’t do in a stock sport. I don’t think anyone “needs” a lift. These things are amazingly capable. I have had lifts on many Jeeps. I would agree with EROCK about skinny’s. They are great in the snow. These JLs are a different animal. My last Jeeps were definitely a letdown after a lift on road. I really can’t tell I added 2.5” of lift and 37’s to mine. That’s how different these are. Jeep pretty much built this mod into the new Rubicon and did a damn good job with it.

I have run trails all over this state. The biggest difference I would say a lift and tires makes off-road is ease of trail riding, picking your lines etc. I also really like the “stock” look. Just bigger. That’s what I’ve always went for. I loved the way my Jeep looked like when I bought it. I don’t want to change everything. Nothing wrong with a lift. It’s your money. Do what you want.

So, no. You don’t need a lift but you also don’t need a Jeep. Just have fun with it. You paid for it.

bilcol81

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler Sahara
Occupation
Retired
We have owned 4 wranglers since '07, none being a rubicon. We spent many summers in SW Colorado and Utah with our stock Sahara and Sport S and drove almost anywhere the rubicons & other lifted jeeps did. If you practice and use your head you don't need a lift and bigger tires. We did not do Black Bear or Poughkeepsie Gulch. We have a JLUR on order and can't wait to get it so we can head back to Colorado

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We have owned 4 wranglers since '07, none being a rubicon. We spent many summers in SW Colorado and Utah with our stock Sahara and Sport S and drove almost anywhere the rubicons & other lifted jeeps did. If you practice and use your head you don't need a lift and bigger tires. We did not do Black Bear or Poughkeepsie Gulch. We have a JLUR on order and can't wait to get it so we can head back to Colorado
You could run Black bear in a Subaru, although I wouldn’t try. Lol. Poughkeepsie gulch is fun but it’s rained both times I’ve run it and both times I have winched up it. Couple pics of my white sport and black Rubi on it.

BB77AB81-D447-4769-93B3-A2FACFB1A8BC.png

482947A2-25A5-4E41-B26F-3D982862284A.jpeg

Last edited:

EROCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
If you are going to flex out and hit the rocks, go to moab, and ford deep rivers regularly then by all means go big or go home. I love seeing the nice overland and baja builds on the site that have a purpose. However putting "look at me" tires and wheels along with a skyjacking the vehicle knowing that your wildest trek is most likely Publix is kinda silly.

I would wager that most cosmetic modders don't truly understand the longer braking distance, worse drag, additional rotational mass, worse mpgs, and extra wear that they will incur.

Sure it looks cool when you see that sick vendor-sponsored build, but there is so much more to a real build than tires and wheels. Real functional upgrades are often not seen since LCA's, UCA's,shocks, bushing upgrades, diff drops, tie rods, ball joints, axle length/strength, and gearing are items that you're average public Joe can't see. These are the limiting factors so to speak.

If ya don't feel tough enough driving onroad in your badass 4x4, which was originally designed for and succeded defeating totalitarianism then hit the GYM and get some good healthy self-esteem.

Typical Forum Convo:

Tool 1: Hey bros, does anyone know why my ride is different after installing these Badass spacers? Also I got a squeak that comes from drivers side over speed bump? IM running 40's btw!

Tool 2: Im using the same 2.5 spacers man and my ride is better than stock. Even with my 40's and deadlocks she's so smooth and not any noises, sorry dude check the springs. No regear mine shifts better than stock too!!

Knowledgable 1: It's probably the 2.5 inches of preload on the springs, or perhaps the 30 extra lbs of rotational mass on each hub. Perhaps don't use the spacers..

Tool 2: No way bro mine rides better than stock. This is my fifth jeep, I've done jacked up all of em and dude they all ride so good, love em.

Knowledgable 1:Okay

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you are going to flex out and hit the rocks, go to moab, and ford deep rivers regularly then by all means go big or go home. I love seeing the nice overland and baja builds on the site that have a purpose. However putting "look at me" tires and wheels along with a skyjacking the vehicle knowing that your wildest trek is most likely Publix is kinda silly.

I would wager that most cosmetic modders don't truly understand the longer braking distance, worse drag, additional rotational mass, worse mpgs, and extra wear that they will incur.

Sure it looks cool when you see that sick vendor-sponsored build, but there is so much more to a real build than tires and wheels. Real functional upgrades are often not seen since LCA's, UCA's,shocks, bushing upgrades, diff drops, tie rods, ball joints, axle length/strength, and gearing are items that you're average public Joe can't see. These are the limiting factors so to speak.

If ya don't feel tough enough driving onroad in your badass 4x4, which was originally designed for and succeded defeating totalitarianism then hit the GYM and get some good healthy self-esteem.

Typical Forum Convo:

Tool 1: Hey bros, does anyone know why my ride is different after installing these Badass spacers? Also I got a squeak that comes from drivers side over speed bump? IM running 40's btw!

Tool 2: Im using the same 2.5 spacers man and my ride is better than stock. Even with my 40's and deadlocks she's so smooth and not any noises, sorry dude check the springs. No regear mine shifts better than stock too!!

Knowledgable 1: It's probably the 2.5 inches of preload on the springs, or perhaps the 30 extra lbs of rotational mass on each hub. Perhaps don't use the spacers..

Tool 2: No way bro mine rides better than stock. This is my fifth jeep, I've done jacked up all of em and dude they all ride so good, love em.

Knowledgable 1:Okay
That’s pretty spot on. I haven’t been on a forum that didn’t have these people. We shouldn’t be surprised. It’s the same percentage of people that we come into contact with, on a daily basis.
You should try living around all these pot heads. Take that forum annoyance and take it times 30. Useless people. LOL
Sponsored