Gandersonsays

First Name
Griffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr JL Rubicon
Hey everyone,

Just got my 2 door JL Rubicon last week and am absolutely in love with it. However, the one thing I don't really like is the automatic rev match when the clutch on the manual transmission in engaged. Does anyone know how to turn this off? Or will I have to purchase an after market tuning chip?

Thanks!
Sponsored

gofastguy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi 2019 WK Trailhawk 2015 Mustang GT
Hey everyone,

Just got my 2 door JL Rubicon last week and am absolutely in love with it. However, the one thing I don't really like is the automatic rev match when the clutch on the manual transmission in engaged. Does anyone know how to turn this off? Or will I have to purchase an after market tuning chip?

Thanks!
Hmmm. Mine doesn't seem to rev match...but if it did I think I might kind of like it

jebjkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everyone,

Thanks!
There is no rev match on a wrangler.

Are you mistaking the rev hanging issues that most modern vehicles have for rev matching?

OP
OP
Gandersonsays

Gandersonsays

First Name
Griffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr JL Rubicon
There is no rev match on a wrangler.

Are you mistaking the rev hanging issues that most modern vehicles have for rev matching?
Possibly? Not quite sure. All I know is that when I engage the clutch, the RPM of the engine drops as normal but then mysteriously jumps up 500-700 rpm without any throttle input.

User Banned

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Guitars & Drums
Mine does the same, and I have a JLU Sport S. My guess is, that you're depressing the clutch pedal and taking the shifter OUT of gear when your RPM is still high, correct? If you're like me, I do this as I'm coming to a stop. So what I've started doing is depressing the clutch pedal like I normally would, but I leave the shifter in gear until I slow down and my RPM's drop.

I suppose it could be a form of rev-matching, but I just assumed it was a surge as the RPM's level out.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Gandersonsays

Gandersonsays

First Name
Griffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr JL Rubicon
Mine does the same, and I have a JLU Sport S. My guess is, that you're depressing the clutch pedal and taking the shifter OUT of gear when your RPM is still high, correct? If you're like me, I do this as I'm coming to a stop. So what I've started doing is depressing the clutch pedal like I normally would, but I leave the shifter in gear until I slow down and my RPM's drop.

I suppose it could be a form of rev-matching, but I just assumed it was a surge as the RPM's level out.
I'll have to check again to see if it only happens when I move the shifter into neutral. That said, I've driven the vehicle the same way as I did my 2012 JKU, which I traded in last week. My JK never had this problem (still not sure if it is a problem), which leads me to believe this has something to do with the fact the JL is drive by wire .

OP
OP
Gandersonsays

Gandersonsays

First Name
Griffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr JL Rubicon
@JeepCares, do you all have any guidance/ input?

User Banned

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Guitars & Drums
Yeah, my wife and I only drive manual trans cars, and I've never seen (or felt) this happen before. I just chalked it up to being a Jeep thing...

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
The 'feature' is widely-reported, and reviled. It's clearly programmed in, I assume for emissions. But it's not 'rev-matching' if it's only happening just above idle; performance cars with rev-matching only do it during downshifts at higher RPMs, and sometimes only with heavy throttle (coupled with a 'no-lift-shift' feature).

OP
OP
Gandersonsays

Gandersonsays

First Name
Griffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr JL Rubicon
The worst part is that the revs surge when my foot is pressed down on the clutch and I'm not even switching gear (i.e. when I am coasting to a stop). It can't be economical to increase engine rpm when the it isn't necessary, so why program it in?

Sponsored

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
The worst part is that the revs surge when my foot is pressed down on the clutch and I'm not even switching gear (i.e. when I am coasting to a stop). It can't be economical to increase engine rpm when the it isn't necessary, so why program it in?
Gas engines produce their worst emissions near idle, when cold. I assume this has something to do with 'pre-heating' the chamber to improve emissions. Most cars just keep the idle RPM uniformly higher before the oil temp warms up, which seems like the more reasonable way to handle this.

MallCrawlLol

First Name
Rick Astley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jlu 6mt
The worst part is that the revs surge when my foot is pressed down on the clutch and I'm not even switching gear (i.e. when I am coasting to a stop).
That's weird - my 6mt doesn't do that at all.

My previous car rev matched when it detected the shifter was about to hit the gate, that's when it revved. It didn't rev on clutch input (this was an audi s5).

OP
OP
Gandersonsays

Gandersonsays

First Name
Griffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr JL Rubicon

I've confirmed that it does it even when the transmission is in gear.

YonesYeepOR

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU
I've confirmed that it does it even when the transmission is in gear.
Just wanted to follow up on this in 2020...just bought one a few months ago and mine is doing the exact same thing you are describing. When I'm driving and press the clutch in, revvs go down to idle and then pop up a considerable amount, and then go back down again to normal. Did you ever find out if this was a problem (fixable?) or if this is normal and programmed by jeep?