Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
If I move to 35" it'll be after I get a year or two on 33". I'm not planning on doing any kind of rock crawling. I have to split my toy budget between the Jeep and the Harley. :)
road-glide.jpg
I hear ya. Took up riding about 7 years ago and went all in. But would get vertigo episodes for months on end usually during riding season (April-Nov here in NY) and that kept me off the bike. So I sold the bike and the Jeep became the new money pit. I don't think the vertigo is bike related though, I get it during the off season as well.

Beautiful wheel and tire combo, what lift did you go with?
Thanks, took a while to find a simulated bead lock that actually looked like a bead lock but didn't break the bank. I got the RK 2.5" X factor but netted 3.5" of lift. I had gotten 2.5" Fox shocks and they were too short so went all in and got the RK RRD for 3.5" lift.
Sponsored

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
If I move to 35" it'll be after I get a year or two on 33". I'm not planning on doing any kind of rock crawling. I have to split my toy budget between the Jeep and the Harley. :)
road-glide.jpg
I have to split my time between my Harley and Jeep. You can still Rock Crawl on 33's just take some of the less difficult trails. 33's I believe you can do Hell's Revenge and Fins and Things.

OP
OP
donmontalvo

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I have to split my time between my Harley and Jeep. You can still Rock Crawl on 33's just take some of the less difficult trails. 33's I believe you can do Hell's Revenge and Fins and Things.
I’ll have to look those up, not sure how those specific trails are rated, or how the ratings are broken down. Googled for info but found some fuzzy explanations.

Also I read that there’s some decoupling to do before doing rock climbing. Guess I have a lot to learn.

Jerrybizzle

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Tech
I’ll have to look those up, not sure how those specific trails are rated, or how the ratings are broken down. Googled for info but found some fuzzy explanations.

Also I read that there’s some decoupling to do before doing rock climbing. Guess I have a lot to learn.
If you drive from Pennsylvania to Moab Utah to do those trails that’s dedication. (Upon second look it may be about 30 hours from you, yikes). I live 8.5 hours from Moab and will be back but from where you’re at that may be quite the drive. If you do go, those trails mentioned you’ll be okay. May scrape a bumper here and there but they are awesome trails.
If I were you I’d ride the hog out and rent a Jeep when you get there.

OP
OP
donmontalvo

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
If you drive from Pennsylvania to Moab Utah to do those trails that’s dedication. (Upon second look it may be about 30 hours from you, yikes). I live 8.5 hours from Moab and will be back but from where you’re at that may be quite the drive. If you do go, those trails mentioned you’ll be okay. May scrape a bumper here and there but they are awesome trails.
Hope I didn't give the impression that I'd drive to Moab from PA. :)

I grew up in NY, moved to TX>DE>CA>FL>PA, so I'm in the North East, wondering if there are clubs I can hook up with (that'll accept beginners!).

When I bought my first Harley a few years ago, the dealer and my riding buddies didn't believe it when I told them "I'm goint to ride the shit out of it, like I stole it!" I put 33,000 miles on it in under 2 years riding weekends only.

Now I have this Jeep, which was a life long dream (my dad had an old CJ), and I use it as a daily driver, however I decided to do a modest mod to make it a bit more off road capable. Hence the 2.5" lift and 33 AT tires.

I'm new to the area, and now that I finally got all the parts for the Jeep, hoping to find a place nearby that is open.

Unless there's someone with a garage, tools, and experience who can do the work (I can go anywhere to get the tires mounted). I'll be there to get my hands dirty too. :)

Sponsored

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hope i didn't mislead anyone, i was just trying to make you feel better about your jeeps capabilities. your good to go on trails like the ones i mentioned with maybe minor under-body scrapes. There are trails out your way and all you have to do is look up a local wrangler group to trail ride with. Now for driving out to Moab from the east coast, I'M ALL IN" we are traveling cross country from Florida to Moab and spending a full week there in may. Don't try talking us out of it. Were going and there's nothing you can do to stop us. I am getting a 2.5 inch lift from Rock krawler installed and 35" tires. I would have done it on stock 33's with no lift but i wanted to do a couple more difficult trails like poison spider and maybe Top of the World along with the others i mentioned. I didn't want to get too serious with the lift and tires because its my everyday vehicle.

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

if you download the jeep Badge of Honor app on your phone you can find some of the trails that jeep promotes and earn badges for them. they have a good explanation of what you need for each trail and a rating scale for each. Different trail organizations or clubs have their own rating system that may differ from the Jeep BOH but they pretty much rate it based on their skills and members recommendations. No single recommendation is perfect. I suggest that if you don't have a Rubicon, then stay off the trails that require Sway bar disconnect and Lockers, although some trails do have bypasses for those obstacles.. Stick to trails that stay within your tire diameter and 2.5 inch lift. or less. Always go on a trail with another Jeeper. don't attempt it alone unless its a simple easy rated trail. Any trail that recommends larger tires and lift should be done in small groups.

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Stock suspension with 33's
20200119_120545.jpg

Rubi take off suspension in the garage waiting to go on... too cold yet!

Last edited:

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stock suspension with 33's
20200119_120545.jpg

Rubi take off suspension in the garage waiting to go on... to cold yet!
So does the Rubi suspension give you a little more lift over the stock sport suspension or is it something else that is an improvement over the stock sport suspension?

OP
OP
donmontalvo

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
if you download the jeep Badge of Honor app on your phone you can find some of the trails that jeep promotes and earn badges for them. they have a good explanation of what you need for each trail and a rating scale for each. Different trail organizations or clubs have their own rating system that may differ from the Jeep BOH but they pretty much rate it based on their skills and members recommendations. No single recommendation is perfect. I suggest that if you don't have a Rubicon, then stay off the trails that require Sway bar disconnect and Lockers, although some trails do have bypasses for those obstacles.. Stick to trails that stay within your tire diameter and 2.5 inch lift. or less. Always go on a trail with another Jeeper. don't attempt it alone unless its a simple easy rated trail. Any trail that recommends larger tires and lift should be done in small groups.
Awesome, downloaded the app. I'm trying to learn about Jeeps, wonder if there's a video that shows what a Rubicon's capabilities are compaared to a Sport.

Sponsored

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awesome, downloaded the app. I'm trying to learn about Jeeps, wonder if there's a video that shows what a Rubicon's capabilities are compaared to a Sport.
you can you tube a lot and learn about how to use JL Rubicon lockers and sway bars to include off roading techniques.

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
So does the Rubi suspension give you a little more lift over the stock sport suspension or is it something else that is an improvement over the stock sport suspension?
It should give me anywhere from 1 inch to 2 inches of lift.... maybe more with the hard top off .... will only know when I install it...

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It should give me anywhere from 1 inch to 2 inches of lift.... maybe more with the hard top off .... will only know when I install it...
OK thanx, I am replacing my rubi suspension with a Rock Krawler lift and was wondering if it would be worth offering with my 33 inch tires for sale on here

Jerrybizzle

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Tech
I hope i didn't mislead anyone, i was just trying to make you feel better about your jeeps capabilities. your good to go on trails like the ones i mentioned with maybe minor under-body scrapes. There are trails out your way and all you have to do is look up a local wrangler group to trail ride with. Now for driving out to Moab from the east coast, I'M ALL IN" we are traveling cross country from Florida to Moab and spending a full week there in may. Don't try talking us out of it. Were going and there's nothing you can do to stop us. I am getting a 2.5 inch lift from Rock krawler installed and 35" tires. I would have done it on stock 33's with no lift but i wanted to do a couple more difficult trails like poison spider and maybe Top of the World along with the others i mentioned. I didn't want to get too serious with the lift and tires because its my everyday vehicle.
I’m by no means trying to talk you out of Moab, just most people aren’t committed to driving across country for it, but to those that are I tip my hat to you. That’s impressive. Make an awesome road trip out of it. An option if you do live far away is to travel to Moab and rent a Jeep. They have pretty built ones for reasonable and then you can run however hard of trails you feel like without any worry of not being able to get home. Do whatever you want just check out Moab if you’re in to off roading as it’s an awesome place.

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m by no means trying to talk you out of Moab, just most people aren’t committed to driving across country for it, but to those that are I tip my hat to you. That’s impressive. Make an awesome road trip out of it. An option if you do live far away is to travel to Moab and rent a Jeep. They have pretty built ones for reasonable and then you can run however hard of trails you feel like without any worry of not being able to get home. Do whatever you want just check out Moab if you’re in to off roading as it’s an awesome place.
No sweat bro just making some light humor. I know no-one is serious about talk me outta Moab. It's going to be an awesome drive with two days in sedona and a day in Colorado. we have flown out before and rented a jeep for about 10 days and also rented jeeps for the day in Moab. There are a lot of options but if anyone does get a chance they gotta try it out. we go out west twice a year and cant get enough of it.
Sponsored