texasyj2009

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Jeep Wrangler YJ 4.2L ; 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly, I'll have to go look at it this weekend. It has been a bit since I did it, so I don't completely remember. I don't think I kept the relay. I directly wired the low beams to one aux switch and the high beams to another, and back lighting to a third. The upside is simplicity. The down side is that the high and low could be activated at the same time, if someone didn't know better.
Yeah that was my plan, I definitely want to keep it simple if I can and without shorting the electronics in my Jeep lol I definitely appreciate any help you can offer.
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah that was my plan, I definitely want to keep it simple if I can and without shorting the electronics in my Jeep lol I definitely appreciate any help you can offer.
I'll look at it when I get a chance. Work has killed me this week, so I'm now laying on my ass with my computer. It may be days before I can muster the motivation to get up! Lol! Seriously, I'll try and take a look at it tomorrow and let you know how I did it.

Shepherd12

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR HellaYella m/t
Occupation
Something about cryogenics
I just called Baja Designs, they stated that you can run the low beams off the stock fog light switch and wiring. That's what I'm going to do, then run the high beams off aux switch with a relay triggered by high beams. The running lights to DRL (very excited)
Did you end up doing this?

It’s too bad you couldn’t run the Spot off your fog light circuit (if you’re like me, and don’t have factory fogs anymore)

Then put a relay&switch on the driving lights to come on with your Jeep’s high beams. Aftermarket lighting with factory controls.

And does anyone have driving vs spot night shots? Maybe a YouTube video? I haven’t found a well conducted review yet. My factory halogens are not inspiring much confidence and I want to upgrade my lighting situation soon.

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
I just installed a pair of LP6 lights onto my JLUR.

Since I no longer have fog lights in a bumper, I powered each LP6 low beam off of each fog light circuit.
I connected the high circuit off AUX 1.
NOTE: BD is very clear that the low beam should never be powered at the same time as the high beam. To prevent me from accidentally doing this (driving with fog circuit on and AUX 1 on), I installed a couple relays triggered by the AUX 1 circuit to interrupt the fog circuit to the low beams.

I did run into an odd challenge. My JLUR came with LED lighting. The fog circuit didn't work the low beams - they'd just flash on once in a while. Using my Tazer mini, I changed the fog lights from LED to standard, and now the fog circuit runs the LP6 low beams just fine.

I think the term low beam isn't quite accurate - it's really the wide pattern and high is wide and spots, so excuse my possible incorrect use of terminology - I don't remember what it actually is.

hawgwld

First Name
Hawgwld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon
@BajaDesigns don't worry about answering that post of mine. I figured it out. I ended up removing the switch and rewiring the relay so it controls the high/low.

For others that are doing this, I suggest you use Aux 1 or 2 since they are 40 amp circuits to power the light. You can use 3 or 4 if you do what I did and rewire the relay so it switches from high to low.

As it stands I didnt plug in the amber lights to either my day time running lights or use one of the other Aux buttons for fear I might want that in the future. If I end up finding the wire to tap into for the DRL's I MIGHT go that route. Since the ambers are just essentially backlighting they don't serve too much purpose.

One thing that would have been good to have are longer mounting bolts. When you mount these on the Mopar brackets (on your winch guard if you have one), the bolts are too short. They do not make contact with the locking nut. I threw a SMALL amount of loctite blue on mine. Its a small amount of insurance so you dont end up dragging an expensive light down the road!
Hey could you please send me your wiring diagram? I am wanting to do the same...I was just about to tear into the harness and thought surely someone else has figured it all out. THANKS!!!!

Sponsored

texascrane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 100-series Landcruiser, 1985 CJ-7
I'm enjoying the LP6's on my 20 JLUR. They are very bright.
0FF02156-9613-4446-BC86-792A2A0B7B2C.jpeg

Jgeiken

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Took a few hours and wired these in today.
Used two relays to accomplish the following.
AUX 1 on: LP6 high mode comes on and off with vehicle high beams, no low mode
Aux 3 and AUX 1 on: low mode on with vehicle low beams and high mode on with vehicle high beams. High beams kills power feed to low mode wire.

This seemed to be the best solution for me as I can have the high mode on and completely kill it by switching off headlight high beams. I can also run the lows and highs actuated by the vehicle high beams with both aux buttons activated without feeding power to both wires and frying the lights.

065E4D6E-B139-4409-9D9D-CD14536DDABD.jpeg

zscooby

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU white Rubicon, 2019 BMW R1250GSA 2019 Honda Talon 1000x
Hey could you please send me your wiring diagram? I am wanting to do the same...I was just about to tear into the harness and thought surely someone else has figured it all out. THANKS!!!!
I use the SPOD plus I wired in a relay to make sure the high and low are

zscooby

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks great! Mine are wired to come when the high beams come on, low beams with the lows and the parking lights with the key. They all can be shut off or turned on independently as well. Great lights.

zscooby

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you end up doing this?

It’s too bad you couldn’t run the Spot off your fog light circuit (if you’re like me, and don’t have factory fogs anymore)

Then put a relay&switch on the driving lights to come on with your Jeep’s high beams. Aftermarket lighting with factory controls.

And does anyone have driving vs spot night shots? Maybe a YouTube video? I haven’t found a well conducted review yet. My factory halogens are not inspiring much confidence and I want to upgrade my lighting situation soon.

No, I bought an SPOD wired them directly to it, put a relay in so they can’t be on at the same time. I could have wired the the low to the oem fogs, because the only draw 7amps according to my SPOD and Baja designs. I wired up a pair of rigid side shots off the fog lights. They work great.

Sponsored

RubiCoug

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 392. Was '20 Rubicon, '17 Rubicon
Why not just skip the lows, and only wire in the highs?

Jgeiken

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Why not just skip the lows, and only wire in the highs?
The high beams are insanely bright. The lows seem to work well in poor weather where the high beams are best for back country/ off road driving. I wouldn’t use either mode in traffic though.

texascrane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 100-series Landcruiser, 1985 CJ-7
The high beams are insanely bright. The lows seem to work well in poor weather where the high beams are best for back country/ off road driving. I wouldn’t use either mode in traffic though.
You shouldn't be using these lights in any mode on public roads. You're going to end up with one hell of a ticket.

I only wired the high mode on mine. I don't have a need for a lower brightness mode.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Just an FYI, I've had these a little while now and can tell you without a doubt that they are warm enough not to freeze over. I had mine covered with a layer of ice last weekend in a snow squall in the UP of Michigan. They melted it right off with no problem.
Sponsored