$uicide$hift

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I plan to install the Mopar 2" lift with 35s. Does anything need to be reprogramed to accommodate the larger tires? If so, who usually does this? The dealer?
This reprogramming has been discussed here on this forum. From what I have read (on this forum) FCA / Jeep has stated that the ECU will automatically detect the wheel difference when driving over some time and re-calibrate itself to correct the speedometer reading.

With that being said most have stated that their speedometer is off against their GPS and has not re-calibrated. There have been a few posts where some have stated theirs did re-calibrate when they check against their GPS.

So I do not have a real answer for you without any first hand experience. Your Dealer "should" be able to re-calibrate this for you if you find the speedometer is not correct after the upgrade. I have also read more than one person state that their dealer said they could not do it on the new JL.

You are going to end up in one of two situations if your ECU does not re-calibrate the speedometer automatically:

- Visit dealer and ask them if they can re-calibrate and if not when they will be able to
- Wait for the aftermarket to catch up and buy a module similar to the JK ProCal Module sold by AEV
Sponsored

Mojito Mojo

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Apache Junction, AZ and North Mankato, MN
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito Rubicon JLU, 2004 Corvette convertible, 2015 HD Road Glide, 2014 Indian Chief Vintage
Occupation
Retired
I had driven back to Dallas from Austin to get my tires and rims on, and I was worried about the same thing. I had read that comment and really was considering how different it would make it. As I was driving I noticed that even with the stock tires and wheels on it really had a hard time staying in 8th. It seems like the jeep cruises pretty comfortably around 80/85 and it starts becoming more of a push toward 90. It does it easily, but I have to be much heavier on the gas pedal to keep it there. After I put my 285/75/17's on and drove back to Austin on them, I didn't notice a huge difference at all, and after having gone through the new wheels/tires/lift process a few times I was really relieved. The tires gave it enough height for now, and kept the power that I really loved about the JL. The only real difference i have seen is I noticed my gas mileage has gone down about 2 mpg less than where I was at stock. I seem to be hovering around 16, but this being a jeep, i am not complaining. My first JK was the 2010 and after the lift and tires, with that mini-van engine in it I was lucky to get 10-11 MPG in it. I will be running the super chip when it comes out, that made a HUGE difference in my 2012 jk. The nittos I got are really 34's, and i have no regrets. It kept the handling that I like so much, and gave me a more aggressive look, for now I am satisfied, idk how long that will last before i'm back to chewing over the lift, but hoping to get a couple of years down the road. I am going to concentrate on the other mods I can do, getting my bumpers changed out, side steps, getting my Warn winch back on etc, etc.
Are you running the Ridge Grapplers? That’s the tire and size I’m looking at. Yup true 34”, only 1/2” less than a so-called 35” haha! How was the noise level? Did you notice a huge difference?

OP
OP
$uicide$hift

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
https://expeditionportal.com/the-passing-of-a-legend-mark-a-smith/

Yea stock ride height can take you plenty of places. Winch > lift/bigger tires. For the money function beats fashion in my book... every time.
I agree 1000%. If people want to go off road their best first upgrade would be recovery upgrades. We have seen the videos where somebody goes for the big lift tires and gets stuck with no way to get themselves out. But if it is purely for looks then the recovery can be skipped.

MikeM1968

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
https://expeditionportal.com/the-passing-of-a-legend-mark-a-smith/

Yea stock ride height can take you plenty of places. Winch > lift/bigger tires. For the money function beats fashion in my book... every time.
Right, but you can only go so big with tires on stock suspension. So realistically you might get 33’s on a stock sport, but beyond that?

Heck- I probably won’t even lift mine. From everything I’ve read (And not just here in these forums) , it’s more trouble than it’s worth for “coolness factor “

OP
OP
$uicide$hift

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it’s more trouble than it’s worth for “coolness factor “
This is what people need to weigh right here. When I got my first Jeep I was looking at everything and wanted to build it up. I am the type that if I am going to do it I want to do it right. As I researched I realized I would be spending thousands to either do it properly in short time or thousands over the long haul in parts that wear out quicker.

IMO if doing it for the looks then just make sure you know how your changes affect every other aspect of the Jeep and the cost of those changes over time.

I thought I would be doing more off road with my Jeep and figured I would first see if I needed upgrades to handle where I was going. For what I was doing the Jeep was amazingly capable stock where I did not need anything. As @Documan.Terry said recovery is greater than bigger tires and lift. If I was going to upgrade it would be a recovery bumper front and rear with a winch to start with.

Sponsored

Carolina88

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray JLU Sport S
Want to get some opinions here. I've always liked the size of the JK Rubi and Sport tires; they're 32s, I believe. My plan was to get a JL Sport S and put those same size JK tires on it. I realize it's only a minor difference -- 20mm in width, I believe, and only an inch in height (from 31 on the JL Sport to 32). And of course, I wasn't planning on getting a lift. Will I have any issues doing this? If so, should I just stick to the factory 31" Sport S tires?

MikeM1968

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Want to get some opinions here. I've always liked the size of the JK Rubi and Sport tires; they're 32s, I believe. My plan was to get a JL Sport S and put those same size JK tires on it. I realize it's only a minor difference -- 20mm in width, I believe, and only an inch in height (from 31 on the JL Sport to 32). And of course, I wasn't planning on getting a lift. Will I have any issues doing this? If so, should I just stick to the factory 31" Sport S tires?
I think the stock Rubi has 33’s - unless I’m mistaken

OP
OP
$uicide$hift

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You are correct this is a minor difference and I would suspect you would not feel any difference. The JL Sport S are 31.5" and the JK Rubicon are 32.7".

Honestly for that 1.2" of difference I think it would be a waste of money unless you are talking about doing this when the original tires are worn. I could see you spending that money in other upgrades that are much more beneficial and or alter the look in a measurable way.

EDIT:

One thing to consider is the Rubicon has upgraded springs, shocks, and breaks to handle additional weight. This change would not be so drastic to cause any real harm but it will add rotational weight which will be transferred to the entire drive train. You will loose some power but not enough to probably bother you and you will possibly wear out breaks sooner than you would on stock.

This is all minor but it will affect other aspects and you need to determine if you are OK with that for 1.6" larger tire that nets you .7" of axle height overall.

Carolina88

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray JLU Sport S
You are correct this is a minor difference and I would suspect you would not feel any difference. The JL Sport S are 31.5" and the JK Rubicon are 32.7".

Honestly for that 1.2" of difference I think it would be a waste of money unless you are talking about doing this when the original tires are worn. I could see you spending that money in other upgrades that are much more beneficial and or alter the look in a measurable way.
I totally hear you. Doing it initially for the minor 1.2" difference would just be a matter of me being ultra picky and OCD. That said, I still think that 1.2" would make a noticeable difference, at least in my eyes. But you're probably right -- waiting until the original tires are worn would probably make more sense.

Sponsored

mcclain

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU - White
Are you running the Ridge Grapplers? That’s the tire and size I’m looking at. Yup true 34”, only 1/2” less than a so-called 35” haha! How was the noise level? Did you notice a huge difference?
Yeah I'm running the Nitto ridge grapplers, and i love them. The noise level isn't bad at all, the weight on them is really reasonable, they are aggressive enough to handle the dirt and mud, all around i'm really pleased I went with those. I did go with the C class though, I made sure to specify that when I ordered them. The size IMO is perfect, I just drove back into Dallas from Austin this afternoon, which is about a 3 1/2 hour drive and they are really quiet and handle perfectly. In the past I have ran ProComp Xtreme MT's, Yokohoma AT, and Toyo's and out of those I think I am sold 100% on these Nitto Ridge Grappler's and most likely will stick with them for future purchases.

RisingEagle

First Name
Armond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4DR Ocean Blue Rubicon
I'm running Ridge Grapplers on my truck (Ram 3500), and I agree with the previous comments - they're solid, quiet tires.

I did some research and went with 295/65R20 - a size that was roughly 1.5" taller than stock (biggest size someone had put on the same model and didn't have rubbing) and haven't noticed any road noise, handling issues or the like. They are definitely more aggressive tread-wise than what I've run in the past.

I know they aren't on a jeep - but as far as the brand goes, I haven't noticed any hummm or road noise normally associated with off-road style tires; I've also put about 25k road-miles on them and they still appear to have plenty of life left in them

I'll most likely go with the same brand once my Jeep shows up; but may go to 35s from the stock-33s. The whole debate of going to 37s etc is what brought me to this thread in the first place (which was informative on lifts - much appreciated). I'm looking to have a capable vehicle that can go on moderate trails (not interested in rock-crawling) and for my needs, I think 35s will be plenty more than I will need off-road

OP
OP
$uicide$hift

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm looking to have a capable vehicle that can go on moderate trails (not interested in rock-crawling) and for my needs, I think 35s will be plenty more than I will need off-road
The 33" are probably more than you need but I also understand wanting that big tire look as the 35" look awesome! I myself would hold off and run the trails stock to see if you think the 35" would benefit you. If you run those trails fine I personally would put that money to a nice winch setup and recovery gear. It will give a nice off road look and have more use if you ever do get stuck. (Or if a friend is stuck)

RisingEagle

First Name
Armond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4DR Ocean Blue Rubicon
The 33" are probably more than you need but I also understand wanting that big tire look as they are awesome! I myself would hold off and run the trails stock to see if you think the 35" would benefit you. If you run those trails fine I personally would put that money to a nice winch setup and recovery gear. It will give a nice off road look and have more use if you ever do get stuck. (Or if a friend is stuck)
oh roger - meant to only discuss tires. My "build plan" is actually an overland-type vehicle - steel bumper (something besides the stock because aftermarket options are endless) with a winch, low profile roof rack, hi-jack, etc.

and as far as tire upgrading goes, it wouldn't even be considered until the stocks are starting to at least pretend needing replacing. I'd most likely keep the stock rims.

appreciate the feedback - yes, recovery gear (and overland gear, and trailer-gear, and who-knows-what-else gear) will come well before the $1500 tire investment
Sponsored