Sponsored

When do you consider a Jeep to be "built"?

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
Anything other than stock equipment/options.
Sponsored

OP
OP
VA72mlibu

VA72mlibu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLR; 1972 Chevy Malibu; DHC-7 & BeechCraft King-Air (operated, not owned)
I think it refers to the old “ built not bought “ phrase. When I was younger and broke, you’d buy a strip down bare bones Jeep and build it. Axles, lockers, bumpers winch, lift etc.....

Then you could put on your “ Built not Bought” windshield banner, and be proud to show off what you’d done.

Now that I’m an old man I don’t want to go through that much work to start from scratch, so I bought a rubicon. I might not be cool anymore, but I’m enjoying the fruits of my working my ass off for 40 years and counting.......:)
A thread on Jeep waving got me thinking about it. Someone said they’ll wave at a “built” XJ or Land Cruiser and it made me think about what mods qualify for that moniker.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
A thread on Jeep waving got me thinking about it. Someone said they’ll wave at a “built” XJ or Land Cruiser and it made me think about what mods qualify for that moniker.
I’m guessing anything different aside from stock, most notably lift and bigger tires. I would guess that’s the front runner in the “ built “ moniker...:)

Sponsored

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I’ve just come to terms that having my rig the way I want it, retirement is off the table.....:(
I bought my JLUR as a retirement gift to myself. I had about 6 grand in stuff waiting in the garage before I even ordered the JLUR. The 37 were mounted on beadlocks five or six months before the Jeep was ordered. Retirement does not need to be off the table.

When I think of build, I think of the average Joe dreaming about how cool his or her jeep is as they wrench on it in the garage. Like they say in drag racing. Speed = cubic dollars. The more money you have the faster you go. Jeeping is the same way. You want an awesome built Jeep like say the Step Child, It just take dollars, 40, to 50 grand for a Hemi upgrade, Hey you want big axles, throw another 15 to 20 grand at it, Hey want a bad ass suspension, Throw another 10 or so grand at it. Built...bought it is all money. Even if you possess the skills to weld, fabricate, and design, 90% of your stuff will still be bought before you do your thing. Why because of money. I live in a town that has Auto manufacturing plants and a shit load of supplies to GM. I have friends that are engineers, can fabricate and have the tools to do so in their shop. So I ask, hey how much would you charge to make this front bumper that I would like. He looks at me like I am stupid and said you cn buy that for under five hundred dollars, for me to buy the steel, and welding supplies plus my time, then get it powder coated. you would be well over a thousand.

So I did what just about everyone does, hey Roam, hey LOD, hey Smittybilt, send me a bumper...... I built my JLUR up with the help of Giants like Jeep, Roam Off Road, ACE Engineering, and Rancho. Tell me I am wrong and it will fall on deaf ears as you waste your breath forming words. LOL.

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
"Built not Bought" is such a $h1tty gatekeeping statement. The last thing this world needs is more division.

When it's able to do what you want it to do, and it looks the way you want it to look. That's my definition. I don't think I'll ever "finish", because I get so much enjoyment adding new things and taking old things off.

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
The moment it rolls off the assembly line. Anything else is merely subjective.
Sponsored