Sponsored

So How's The Real World Highway MPG?

clunker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I'm itching to place my order and have been holding out for the 2.0L (which the MPG numbers aren't out for), but I really want the manual. My commute is 120 miles / day all highway, so the 23MPG I see on the sticker for the 3.6L is good enough for me.

Wondering if anyone can report some real world highway MPG numbers for their JL Rubicon (3.6L). I know ill lose a few if I go with the manual but that's a wash on the extra cost of the 2.0T and the Auto.

Can anyone report a true 23MPG Highway in a Rubicon?
Sponsored

Gangreen

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 ZJ 5.9 & 18 JLUR
I'm itching to place my order and have been holding out for the 2.0L (which the MPG numbers aren't out for), but I really want the manual. My commute is 120 miles / day all highway, so the 23MPG I see on the sticker for the 3.6L is good enough for me.

Wondering if anyone can report some real world highway MPG numbers for their JL Rubicon (3.6L). I know ill lose a few if I go with the manual but that's a wash on the extra cost of the 2.0T and the Auto.

Can anyone report a true 23MPG Highway in a Rubicon?
Been getting about almost 21 last couple weeks according to the display. 30ish mile trips, 20 of it on the freeway. 1100 on the odometer.

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Take an average of the responses you are going to get here. Remember everybody drives differently. An aggressive driver is going to get less gas mileage than one that has a lighter foot.

In the JK many reported average MPG at around 17 to 18. I don't drive a Jeep aggressively and I was averaging 19.5 to 20.5.

So determine how you drive a vehicle against an average of the responses you see here.

eddybarba

First Name
eddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTUR Demon Motor, 2018 JLUR 392 swap, 2015 JKU Rubi RIPP'd 392 swap, 2020 Porsche Macan S, 2017 F250 6.7, 2020 Corvette C8, 2016 Nissan GTR
I haven't gotten better than 17 mostly city in a stick rubi. I only have 700 miles, but I also haven't passed 4k rpm.

Sponsored

BaconIsAFruit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
JLUR with 1500 miles and I'm stuck in high 17s. I took an 800 mile round trip from Baltimore to Rochester pure highway (some decent hills) and got 19.7 at the end. The rest of the miles are 90% highway in tolerable but not great weekday traffic. I don't think I'll ever get 23.

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR with 1500 miles and I'm stuck in high 17s. I took an 800 mile round trip from Baltimore to Rochester pure highway (some decent hills) and got 19.7 at the end. The rest of the miles are 90% highway in tolerable but not great weekday traffic. I don't think I'll ever get 23.
Are you resetting your average MPG between fill ups? If not it is calculating from start. I reset mine every tank full to monitor each tank.

I assume this is what you are looking at and not the actual MPG while driving. I know on the JL they have the average and current.

BaconIsAFruit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I don't believe the average is since eternity (not sure tbh, but I recall reading in my '15 renegade manual it was something like last 50 miles). And yes, I'm looking at average; the real time reads 99 when coasting.

*Edit: I just checked the manual and it does say average since last reset, so disregard my 50 mile comment.

hanschien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Yeah really depends on how fast you drive at highway speeds. 60-65 I can get 18-22 mpg, 65+ I only average 17 or less mpg.

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't believe the average is since eternity (not sure tbh, but I recall reading in my '15 renegade manual it was something like last 50 miles). And yes, I'm looking at average; the real time reads 99 when coasting.

*Edit: I just checked the manual and it does say average since last reset, so disregard my 50 mile comment.
OK so it is the same as the JK. Try resetting it every time you fill the tank. I notice between tank fulls my MPG obviously changes depending on my driving. If I am more cruising back roads for distance at 45 to 50 MPH I am getting 20 to 20.5 on a JK. At times when tank is filled and I reset I am doing more short distance drives I am getting around 17 to 18.5 or so. All of this makes sense to me.

I am one of those that never trust a fuel gauge and reset Trip A and Average MPG at each fill up. A. If I have a fuel gauge issue I'll know how many miles I have gone and if I actually need gas and B. If I notice a difference from what I am used to it alerts me to investigate more as there may be an issue that needs to be resolved.

Sponsored

alphalife9

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 C6, Sting Gray JLUR
I'm also curious about this since the MPG rating comes from the Sport trim. My guess is that is is possible to get 23 HWY with the manual trans at 65 MPH. I really hope this is the case lol.

OP
OP

clunker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I'm also curious about this since the MPG rating comes from the Sport trim. My guess is that is is possible to get 23 HWY with the manual trans at 65 MPH. I really hope this is the case lol.

Thanks for everyone’s responses. I seems to make sense that the 23mpg Highway rating on the sticker will be at a speed lower than 70mph.

I am also under the impression that the manual is not as fuel efficient as the auto (how things have changed)

alphalife9

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 C6, Sting Gray JLUR
Thanks for everyone’s responses. I seems to make sense that the 23mpg Highway rating on the sticker will be at a speed lower than 70mph.

I am also under the impression that the manual is not as fuel efficient as the auto (how things have changed)
Based on the 2 door MPG rating, the mental is more fuel efficient than the auto. I suspect this is also true for the 4 door but by a smaller margin that didn't warrant a different MPG rating.

theiowan

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler
Occupation
CPA
21.29 on the way home from picking it up from the dealer on Thursday (242 highway miles)

james@15

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red JL Sahara
2 tanks so far and average 17.4 MPG 95% highway miles. They must have been driving downhill with a tailwind at 40 mph to get anywhere near 24mpg. I am hoping for better in the next few tanks but does not seem likely.
Sponsored