Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I have a iPad mini 4 and also started with a Dual Electronincs XGPS150A on amazon .

Now I Bluetooth the tablet to a Garmin in reach Explorer plus satellite communicator. Both works well. I would also use the Garmin in reach mini if I haven't already bought the larger one.

The beta version of Gaia on iPhone works with carplay. you can follow your route and see the map, however it does not have all the functionality that the tablet has. That said, you can do everything on your phone or tablet, it just looks different on the carplay screen.
Interesting. I have a Inreach SE that I take every time I go out in the woods. I hadn't even thought of pairing it with the ipad (for GPS functionality) instead of a standalone GPS antenna like I do now. I'll have to try it. Would be nice because it would be one less thing to keep plugged in.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
For those of you running a tablet in your rig specifically for GAIA.

What tablet are you running?
What mount are you running?
iPad Pro with cellular (cellular off) ... that way I get my GPS location data —— cellular iPad has the GPS antenna
Oh, and I don’t need a mount, that what my front seat passenger does.....!!!!!!!!

Sponsored

HardRock

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK Hard Rock Edition (FL); 2018 Rubicon JL (CA)
Hey yall, so my husband downloaded the gaia maps onto his phone and tablet and wow does that put a new perspective of navigation! If anyone is looking for a good map, look for gaia maps app, and it is worth the purchase! National geographic, state park, national park, BLM maps ect!

Sorry just had to share :)

Have a great night yall!
Love my GAIA app!!! They just released new topography maps. Check them out.

AirportDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUXR, 2018 GC Trailhawk Hemi
Occupation
Aeronautics Professional
I've always loved the NatGeo Trails Illustrated maps here in Colorado for anything offroad/trail oriented- lots of information, FS road/trail names, color, etc. They look great in the Gaia CarPlay beta. Gaia does have some improvements that could be made with panning and zooming. You have to use buttons to zoom in/out and arrows to pan around. And when panning away from your location, you can't zoom in- in the current beta version it resets you to your current location when you click the "stop panning" button. Pinch to zoom and swipe panning are hopefully coming to make this really functional for Jeeping!

IMG_8619.jpeg

breen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLRU
Big fan as well, and the new CarPlay integration means I can use the built-in 8.4" for display freeing me up from mounting an iPad.
Really a must-have bit of software - I really love the web-based tools for building up my routes. Very well done and useful.

Also a big fan of paper maps as well. Never leave home without them ;)

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for the info. Several mention an old iPad... I have one with GPS and would like to use it but it won't let me download GAIA because of the OS version and can't upgrade the OS because of hardware age. Has anyone got around this?

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
I've been using Gaia and Maps.me for a while. I originally didn't like Gaia. But when I found their route planner I was totally sold. That thing works great for planning hikes and mountain bike rides an jeep trail ride. And since you can plan a route, then download the maps surrounding the route it's so really nice.
I use Maps.me for general day-to-day driving and motorcycling since the entire west coast in downloaded to my phone and I never need cell signal to navigate.
Seems like Gaia has caught on to the Maps.me model of using vector maps. That makes it possible to download huge areas in advance to a device with limited memory like a phone. That version of Gaia is in beta and I've been testing it with success.

Sponsored

Grooster

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Cherokee Latitude
Occupation
IT Director
I'm using the beta Gaia/Apple Carplay app and really like the latest update. Still working through how to best use Gaia but can really see how great this will be in Colorado this summer. Impressive!

Now if we could just get a weather radar app for Carplay (My Radar, maybe?) then I'd be a very happy guy. Wait - I'm already a happy guy - I drive a JLU!!! So even happier? Life is good...

OP
OP
ania.manning

ania.manning

First Name
Ania
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited
I'm using the beta Gaia/Apple Carplay app and really like the latest update. Still working through how to best use Gaia but can really see how great this will be in Colorado this summer. Impressive!

Now if we could just get a weather radar app for Carplay (My Radar, maybe?) then I'd be a very happy guy. Wait - I'm already a happy guy - I drive a JLU!!! So even happier? Life is good...
Where at in Colorado??

kubsr1976

First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU-R Granite
Gaia paid membership is definitely worthwhile because of all the layers you can add in, most importantly in my neck of the woods is the USFS MVUM.

Avenza is another great program that is free and uses PDFs that you import. It’s very good as well but not the same level as Gaia.
Do you find that GAIA has updated MVUMs? Those things can change quite a bit in the transition seasons, especially here in CO

kubsr1976

First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU-R Granite
Hey yall, so my husband downloaded the gaia maps onto his phone and tablet and wow does that put a new perspective of navigation! If anyone is looking for a good map, look for gaia maps app, and it is worth the purchase! National geographic, state park, national park, BLM maps ect!

Sorry just had to share :)

Have a great night yall!
Do you find that GAIA has updated MVUMs? Those things can change quite a bit in the transition seasons, especially here in CO. Thanks!

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
Do you find that GAIA has updated MVUMs? Those things can change quite a bit in the transition seasons, especially here in CO
I don’t know the exact timing but our area generally changes 1-2x per year and the FS here provides Gaia with updates not too long after they are available - at least that’s my understanding. I’m fairly new to using these maps but the local experts recommend always having the current PDFs downloaded to a phone/tablet or printed in addition to Gaia or Avenza. At the end of the day, the documents on the FS site are the best chance to keep from getting a ticket.
Sponsored