Aftermarket Windshields?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Anyone successful in finding aftermarket windshields, particularly in the southern California area? My rock hit from several months ago expanded to a 10" long crack a while back and now has run top to bottom.

Safelite didn't seem to have an aftermarket option when I used their online quote engine, even though I checked the option for aftermarket, it still was ~$500. The local All Star Glass web engine was about the same. I'm assuming OEM glass at that price.
Sponsored

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
So I know that I am very likely setting myself up for a cracked windshield, but....

about 2 months ago driving in southern IN with temperatures just a few degrees above freezing Fahrenheit.

driving the back roads at around 50 mph.

out of nowhere a hawk dive bombs my windshield. Hits dead center if the windshield. I thought.... well here we go just a few months into ownership of a ā€˜20 Sahara and Iā€™m going to be replacing the windshield.

No damage. No mark. Nothing!!!!

Fonzilla85

First Name
Fonz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Lawman
Iā€™m also in SoCal. Safelite offered me two options Mopar factory windshield or aftermarket. Price was not far off, I just went with the OEM.

robburns76

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Litebrite has a video on how the OE winshields suck and they found a good aftermarket one.

Sponsored

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
So I know that I am very likely setting myself up for a cracked windshield, but....

about 2 months ago driving in southern IN with temperatures just a few degrees above freezing Fahrenheit.

out of nowhere a hawk dive bombs my windshield. Hits dead center if the windshield. I thought.... well here we go just a few months into ownership of a ā€˜20 Sahara and Iā€™m going to be replacing the windshield.

Iā€™ve heard of hitting birds but that takes the cake. lol

Louisville region Sahara here. Iā€™ve made it out to Interlake SRA once since we bought in Oct.

As to glass, somebody asked on a FB group I belong to... one of many JL type. He asked and somebody replied that Gorilla glass is now, supposedly, available. It sounds like thatā€™s what many have been eagerly anticipating so maybe check around for that possibility.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Pretty sure that windscreen is a unicorn. Try to find it......
Agreed. They provide no source (very unusual for them) and if you google the name the closest you find is some east coast glass installer whose website makes no mention at all of selling aftermarket windshields.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)

Hawk=0, You= (+1)

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Litebrite has a video on how the OE winshields suck and they found a good aftermarket one.
You won't find the windshield Kevin installed.

Most interesting part of the video is the fashion show at about 25:30.

Sponsored

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
Anyone seen American Factory on Netflix......

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I always buy the zero-deductible glass coverage. It's cheap (less than $100/year). With the flat windshield, it's well worth it.

ZONA.OVRLND

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 392 Hemi Wrangler - Follow on IG @ zona.ovrlnd
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I have OEM windshields, and i've had mine replaced once. It has a hit in it now, but hasn't expanded beyond the initial damage/crack to the windshield. Going to let it be until it expands and then replace it with OEM windshield.

They're all just as susceptible to chips and cracking and whatnot than any other, unless you have some sort of film over it

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I believe Mopar has Gorilla Glass for the JK but not the JL yet. Mine was cracked after 8,000 miles but Florida Insurance has us totally covered and deductible is waived. So OEM till there's something better on the market