Sponsored

Has anybody noticed oil consumption between oil changes?

Leights7

First Name
Leighton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Hi everyone,

I have a 2018 JL with the 3.6. I have never noticed any oil consumption between oil changes except on this last one. I have 20K. I'm wondering if anybody has noticed oil consumption.

On a side note, I've never owned a vehicle with such a "sensitive" dipstick. Manual says check on a hot engine after 5 mins of sitting. If I do this - it's halfway on the hashed area. If I check 10 mins after - it's 3/4 up. 20 mins - full.
Sponsored

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
Hi everyone,

I have a 2018 JL with the 3.6. I have never noticed any oil consumption between oil changes except on this last one. I have 20K. I'm wondering if anybody has noticed oil consumption.

On a side note, I've never owned a vehicle with such a "sensitive" dipstick. Manual says check on a hot engine after 5 mins of sitting. If I do this - it's halfway on the hashed area. If I check 10 mins after - it's 3/4 up. 20 mins - full.
I've done 3 oil changes so far and have not seen any oil consumption with mine. When I drain the oil at 5,000 miles I get pretty much 5 qts out of it.

I have also noticed I need to let mine sit for awhile before checking the oil level.

#4Jeep 1st Wrangler

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I have not experienced oil usage... You have to remember that the oil filter housing/cooler assembly holds a decent amount of oil.. It's mounted under the intake manifold, and takes some time to drain back into the oil pan for an accurate reading on the dipstick
Screenshot_20200217-055915.png

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Just check your oil level in the morning after it's sat overnight after first doing your oil change, then check your oil the same way every time (letting it sit overnight).

Not any noticeable oil usage on my JL, the oil has always been to the top of the cross-hatch section on the dipstick after letting it sit overnight. I always change my own oil w/ 5qt jugs, so not a drop over 5 qts :)

Now if you aren't changing your own oil and especially if it's a Jeep dealer doing it, you will want to check your oil ASAP after getting it serviced to make sure it wasn't overfilled. So letting it sit 30 minutes (if possible) should get a pretty solid reading.

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hi everyone,

Thanks for sharing your concerns here, Leights7. I understand why this might seem concerning. I recommend to continue your monitoring of your vehicle with your dealer, as they are in the best position to evaluate your vehicle. Of course, our team will always be happy to offer additional assistance via private message!

Kathryn
JeepCares

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I installed a Fumoto valve during my 1st oil change at 5,000 miles. Now Iā€™m at 30,000 and just completed my sixth change. Since the valve lets me drain directly into an empty 5qt Mobile-1 jug, I can say with confidence there is very little consumption. I mean, the level in the used jug is a tiny bit lower than in a new, unopened one, but thatā€™s expected.

I donā€™t even bother with the dipstick. 5qts out, 5qts in. Super easy. (Well, except for the time I screwed it up.)

Picture is worth a thousand words... old oil on left.

CE4D3D9E-A0C0-4CE2-8CE3-3FC661E3E971.jpeg

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I installed a Fumoto valve during my 1st oil change at 5,000 miles. Now Iā€™m at 30,000 and just completed my sixth change. Since the valve lets me drain directly into an empty 5qt Mobile-1 jug, I can say with confidence there is very little consumption. I mean, the level in the used jug is a tiny bit lower than in a new, unopened one, but thatā€™s expected.

I donā€™t even bother with the dipstick. 5qts out, 5qts in. Super easy. (Well, except for the time I screwed it up.)

Picture is worth a thousand words... old oil on left.

CE4D3D9E-A0C0-4CE2-8CE3-3FC661E3E971.jpeg
That's about what I've seen in 6k on the current oil. I think I topped off with maybe 1/4 or 1/5 of a quart and it took the level to slightly above full on the dipstick, so it really probably needed only 1/8 quart. I'd call that insignificant over that many miles. I'm running Mobil 1 AP 0w20 right now. I saw about the same with the one run I did with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
That's about what I've seen in 6k on the current oil. I think I topped off with maybe 1/4 or 1/5 of a quart and it took the level to slightly above full on the dipstick, so it really probably needed only 1/8 quart. I'd call that insignificant over that many miles. I'm running Mobil 1 AP 0w20 right now. I saw about the same with the one run I did with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum.
Have you taken into account what the oil filter absorbs??

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Have you taken into account what the oil filter absorbs??
I Don't think it is a factor. It read full for several thousand miles before I added oil, so the filter was saturated after the first drive after the oil change.

NOACK on most 0w20 oils is 11-14 percent, so that amount of evaporation would account for it.

The best published NOACK number for 0w20 I've seen is in the the newest formulation of Valvoline Modern Engine, and it is 10%. I think Rotella Gas Truck is right there, too. Mobil 1 doesn't publish it, but any 0w20 can be as high as 13% or maybe even 14% and still get the Dexos 1 Gen 2 rating.

Anyway, NOACK would account for it, I'm sure. Especially at over 6k miles.

It does look like newer formulations are driving NOACK down. Valvoline ME just updated their published data in January for 0w20.

Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Good
I Don't think it is a factor. It read full for several thousand miles before I added oil, so the filter was saturated after the first drive after the oil change.

NOACK on most 0w20 oils is 11-14 percent, so that amount of evaporation would account for it.

The best published NOACK number for 0w20 I've seen is in the the newest formulation of Valvoline Modern Engine, and it is 10%. I think Rotella Gas Truck is right there, too. Mobil 1 doesn't publish it, but any 0w20 can be as high as 13% or maybe even 14% and still get the Dexos 1 Gen 2 rating.

Anyway, NOACK would account for it, I'm sure. Especially at over 6k miles.

It does look like newer formulations are driving NOACK down. Valvoline ME just updated their published data in January for 0w20.
Good observation, you know your oils. I'd assume that evaporation accounts for the majority of what people who run cans are catching, along with some oil from the head when making steep climbs.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Good
Good observation, you know your oils. I'd assume that evaporation accounts for the majority of what people who run cans are catching, along with some oil from the head when making steep climbs.
What they are catching may not all be evaporation, either. There could be fuel or other things in there, too. I'd love to analyze some of it and see what exactly is in it.

One particularly interesting thing you brought up with the 3.6 and its tendency to burn oil at extreme angles, such as climbing a steep hill. (Hasn't happened to me but I've witnessed it). Those with catch cans don't experience this.

I would guess, as well, that it is evaporated oil. It would be fun to do an experiment with a catch can and see if a low Noack oil like M1 EP or Ravenol produces less fluid in the catch can than a higher Noack oil, such as most Group III 0w20's, which are typically just under the threshold allowed by Dexos 1 Gen 2, which is 13 or so percent. Run them both for say, 2000 miles, or however long the higher Noack oil has to run to put a measurable amount into the catch can.

Maybe Project Farm would do that, but I don't know if he has a Jeep! Lol!

I'd still bet that fuel makes up a pretty decent percentage of what is caught in there. But that's just a guess.
Sponsored