The Jeep Gladiator is Struggling

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I bought a Gladiator with plans to lift it to account for the long wheelbase.
It was horrible to drive when compared to my 2016 Tacoma Longbed TRD Offroad. It was extremely overpriced when compared to anything similarly equipped. It was awkward on the trails because of the long wheelbase. Even if lifted with 37s, it was too big for being a decent trail vehicle. And the suspension sucked for towing, even with the Max Tow package. And the thin steel bed full of holes was begging for dents, rust, and warping the tailgate opening. Jeep needs to go back to the R&D phase.
I traded it for a 2020 JLUR.
Happiness....
Interesting. How was it off road compared to the Toy? I would imagine both would be a handful in twisty tech over a JL or other short rig? First I've heard of the bed having issues with dents and warping??
Sponsored

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
I'm really not a fan of the JT but the criticisms are stupid. You can't reasonably say the JT is farfetched in it's market and the JL is not. 99% of SUV owners don't care about tire size, offroading or taking the doors off. People want it because it’s NOT like the competition, not because it “makes sense”.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Nope. Again, the buying public may not put 37s on or go off road or take doors off or tops but they like the idea that you can. Same thing for people who buy sports cars. They aren't going to go 200mph or verify g-forces, they just know they have a vehicle that can do it. \

No other truck competes with the JT. Oh jeep wants a piece of it and will get some of it for sure but only to those who want capability whether they need it or not.

The motor is SWEET, not sure what your saying here. If a mid size has more it needs it to compensate where it's lacking compared to the jeep. MY JL motor is a absolute hoot, I'll always want more but not at the expense of what I would give up.

BTW I hear nothing but good things on ride quality of the JT. Many/most are saying they are a better ride then the JL and I find my JL to be a pleasure to drive.

Still glad your happy with your ranger, I am sure happy with my F150.

Nope. Again, the buying public has no clue and don't give two shits if you can install 37's on your truck. The majority want something comfortable, quiet and dependable and fits their budget. The majority will rarely do serious modifications to it. This has nothing to do with me being happy with a Ranger or you being happy with a F150. I'm not arguing the case personally. There's nothing inherently wrong with the V6. Its a good engine. Its under powered for what the truck is. Its only saving grace is the 8 speed auto. I have had 3 of those engines in 2 JKs and a JL. with 35's and 37's.
All you need to do is drive the others to understand this.

We aren't comparing the ride of the JT to a JL. We are comparing the midsize truck market its trying to compete in. And once again. Stock to stock the only midsize truck that would have a problem competing would be a Honda Ridgeline. No one is saying the JT is a piece of shit, its just not what you think it is. Its overpriced for what it is. These JL/JT's are amazingly comfortable and quiet.....for a Jeep. Most of us are used to it, and accept the many quirks they have. The majority of the buying public, does not.

Last edited:

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
I'm really not a fan of the JT but the criticisms are stupid. You can't reasonably say the JT is farfetched in it's market and the JL is not. 99% of SUV owners don't care about tire size, offroading or taking the doors off. People want it because it’s NOT like the competition, not because it “makes sense”.
I agree with you, but its not a criticism to speak about what sells and what doesn't. We unfortunately see things through Jeep goggles many times and don't want to be honest. There's a reason you aren't fond of it either. That in itself isn't criticism.

Aesikidesi

First Name
Rubin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLUA / RUFICON
Occupation
Data Analyst / IT Data Recovery
Vehicle Showcase
No load assist could be playing a factor ? Other trucks have amenities that the gladiator does not have for less price but also less value ?

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Well.. like Jim Morrison said... you asked for it, we gave it to you. And the diesel as well.

Now with the Mojave.. perhaps they were going after that market? Raptor fighting, ZR2 competitor, high speed desert running machine. That seems to be what most truck guys drool over these days.

I think they missed the ball on the mojave front open diff though. They could have installed a helical type limited slip like the Raptor. It doesn't have a front locker and a front LS would be a huge improvement.

Last edited:

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
I was ready to order a JL the day ordering started but waited a whole year.. Only thing that stopped me was not knowing if the JT would be available in an xtra cab or 2dr. Ordered my JL the day after I got confirmation the JT was a 4 dr. only. I'll never, ever get a 4 dr .JT and I don't care if FCA looses their ass from the error. A JT xtra cab on a JLU wheelbase would have had my order and if they make one it still might.
I’m right there with you. I watched the camp test versions for so long in excitement... then realized it was 4 door only. I would have bought one in day 1 if they came in 2doors.

ReefGoat

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White JLU Sport
Here we go again. I'm sorry you guys just can't handle something different. People aren't buying JT's to haul fucking 5th wheel campers and 20' trailers loaded down with side by sides or cattle. People are buying the JT for kayaks, bikes, small trailers, smaller campers and just because THEY FUCKING LIKE IT! What is it with people on this forum and hating things that 1. aren't a Rubicon 2. aren't what they think is cool.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Isn't the JL pentastar different than the JK pentastar? I'm pretty sure in 2016 the pentastar was updated with things like higher compression ratio and a different valvetrain, but those changes never made it into the JK. Although I am confused by the hp rating (285) of the JL's v6. The higher compression should mean more power but the factory specs remain unchanged.
Peak power didn't change but they broadened the torque bank, more usable power throughout the rpm range. Though personally it still feels pretty gutless below 3000

photowiz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
Occupation
newspaper and outdoor photographer
Vehicle Showcase
So, I sell CDJR, Chevy, and GMC products. I can tell you the mid-size truck market is struggling in all brands. With the rebates and discounts on full-size trucks. You can buy a fullsize crew/cab truck for the same or less than a mid-size one. The little trucks very rarely have any rebate on them, and when they do it's not very much. Fullsize trucks are a way better deal.
I was going to buy a 2020 JT until I priced a fully loaded Ram 1500 4X4 Laramie. Bought a 2019 with 12 inch screen pano roof, leather. Bought it used with 11,000 miles. It had Michelin tires (brand new) hard, rolling toneau cover, sprayed bed and a custom cushioned bed liner for $20,000 less than a new JT Rubi. I was a happy camper! Love the Ram Laramie. Now I have a 2018 JL and a real truck.

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
It IS gutless below 3k rpm. Up and down mt's here in CO I have to wring it out from 4-5k to maintain speed. 8-10k ft altitude doesn't help but the manual trans does!

YYCSahara

First Name
BDLL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0T
Too much wheelbase, too much money, not enough truck

A 2 row SUV is only expected to haul five passengers and a little bit of gear. Maybe tow a small trailer. The Wrangler dominates in being able to accomplish it's goals anywhere better than anything this side of an M1 tank. Removable top and doors is icing on the cake

A truck is supposed to do much much more. The Gladiator doesn't excel at doing anything truck-y. It doesn't excel off-road in stock form like the ZR2 due to excessive wheelbase and relatively low horsepower. And to nail shut the coffin, they priced it like a Baja-ready superduty
To be fair, the Tacoma isn't very good at trucky things either. It doesn't tow very well, it has a very weak engine/transmission combo, its payload is lower than that of Ridgeline by a long shot. (4 door to 4 door 4x4), yet it destroys everything in its class in sales year over year.

UtahDirt

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punk'n Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
Here we go again. I'm sorry you guys just can't handle something different. People aren't buying JT's to haul fucking 5th wheel campers and 20' trailers loaded down with side by sides or cattle. People are buying the JT for kayaks, bikes, small trailers, smaller campers and just because THEY FUCKING LIKE IT! What is it with people on this forum and hating things that 1. aren't a Rubicon 2. aren't what they think is cool.
Wrapped a little tight are we? Lots of options in the price range that offer far more flexibility in usage. Seen a few on the streets none on trails or towing in my area. Watched some commercials being shot in Southern Utah in some dirt ;)

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
To be fair, the Tacoma isn't very good at trucky things either. It doesn't tow very well, it has a very weak engine/transmission combo, its payload is lower than that of Ridgeline by a long shot. (4 door to 4 door 4x4), yet it destroys everything in its class in sales year over year.
Taco has the right proportions. Short bed, aggressive approach angle, capable looking flares and fenders. They made the most basic 2wd look off-road ready.

Sales reflect the wisdom of their decisions. Personally I hate them and I despise the driving position. But they sell. Jeep made the Gladiator "look" too long and awkward

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Again, the buying public may not put 37s on or go off road or take doors off or tops but they like the idea that you can. Same thing for people who buy sports cars. They aren't going to go 200mph or verify g-forces, they just know they have a vehicle that can do it. \
This is exactly why I got the JT and why most people get Wranglers. They want the potential, not the reality. The vast majority of Jeep Wrangler owners here (and probably in other parts of the country) won't even upgrade tires, let alone put on larger ones, lifts, etc. They may BUY one pre-made like that from a dealership, but they won't ever use the equipment/upgrades. Same thing with the vast majority of truck buyers. So for the JT, it's people wanting into both worlds. The possibility of having use for the truck bed. The possibility of going out on a trail. Even if they will never actually do it.
Sponsored