Exhaust System Regeneration?

Nihkole

First Name
Nichole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL 3.0 Diesel, 2000 Chevrolet Camaro
What does anyone know about this process? Got this message on the way to work this morning. First it said the filter was full, then this message and then it said regeneration completed. Wondering if I should be worried.

20200217_055842.jpg
Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
This is the the process of burning the soot out of the diesel particulate filter. This system is on all diesel now. Thank the EPA.

Additional fuel is injected into the system to increase temperature, burn the soot, and clean out the filter. How frequently it happens depends on combustion efficiency and driving habits.

OP
OP
Nihkole

Nihkole

First Name
Nichole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is the the process of burning the soot out of the diesel particulate filter. This system is on all diesel now. Thank the EPA.

Additional fuel is injected into the system to increase temperature, burn the soot, and clean out the filter. How frequently it happens depends on combustion efficiency and driving habits.
Thanks for the explanation. I drive pretty conservatively so it probably isn't me I hope.

Deke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 6.7
Unfortunately, this is the new norm for diesels. My RAM 2500 has a similar particulate filter and does the same thing. It shouldn't be frequent but will happen more often if you idle a lot or make frequent short trips where the diesel engine never gets up to operating temp.

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel
I’m glad to hear that a message tells the driver when a regen is occurring. This way you can make a decision to continue driving to allow the process to complete efficiently. The pre-2020 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel didn’t do that. If paying close attention to the instantaneous mpg, I can sometimes tell (on my 2014) when a regent was in process. It shows a drop of a few mpg (about 3 I’d say when cruising at 60mph on my 1500).

By the way, there’s a differential pressure sensor used to measure the amount of restriction in the pdf due to soot accumulation. Some early 1500 owners experiencing poor fuel economy had this sensor replaced which fixed the poor mpg. I never read an explanation on the details, but assume their trucks were spending more time in regen mode because the faulty (miscalibrated??) sensor was telling the computer that the dpf was at a higher % full than actual.

Sponsored

bruno747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rubicon Recon 2dr 6spd
I just want to specify. If the Regen programming is same as previous ecodiesels, this is not a normal Regen. This is a forced one. The fact that it said the filter was full suggests that it's programmed the same way.

That is to say that it has tried to Regen a couple times and was interrupted. Or it never managed to get hot enough for a Regen and eventually tripped the forced Regen back pressure limit.

Under normal condition with the ecodiesel driven enough to get the exhaust system hot ~25 miles in a trip without too many stoplights, the end user will not know a Regen occurs unless they pay close attention to fuel consumption and engine noise. Regens normally occured before the filter is full.

Do you regularly drive short distances and hear lots of metallic ticking when you shut the Jeep down and get out? If it's lots of ticking it was most likely mid regen shut down.

If you ignore this message too many times it will tell you to go to the dealer for a cleaning and that truck will not restart in x miles.

This only happened to a few of the previous ecodiesel owners and it was always a short distance daily driver or someone constantly interrupting a regen. I have no doubt Jeep's were programmed the same way.

OP
OP
Nihkole

Nihkole

First Name
Nichole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just want to specify. If the Regen programming is same as previous ecodiesels, this is not a normal Regen. This is a forced one. The fact that it said the filter was full suggests that it's programmed the same way.

That is to say that it has tried to Regen a couple times and was interrupted. Or it never managed to get hot enough for a Regen and eventually tripped the forced Regen back pressure limit.

Under normal condition with the ecodiesel driven enough to get the exhaust system hot ~25 miles in a trip without too many stoplights, the end user will not know a Regen occurs unless they pay close attention to fuel consumption and engine noise. Regens normally occured before the filter is full.

Do you regularly drive short distances and hear lots of metallic ticking when you shut the Jeep down and get out? If it's lots of ticking it was most likely mid regen shut down.

If you ignore this message too many times it will tell you to go to the dealer for a cleaning and that truck will not restart in x miles.

This only happened to a few of the previous ecodiesel owners and it was always a short distance daily driver or someone constantly interrupting a regen. I have no doubt Jeep's were programmed the same way.
I've never heard the metallic ticking. I heard that a bunch on the 2.0 loaner I was driving for awhile. I do drive mostly short distances...I have a 30 minute highway commute with no traffic Monday-Friday.

It said that the filter was almost full. I don't mind it if it's normal but I've had a few issues so I'm on high alert

2020 Diesel JL

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 CJ3B Diesel, 2018 Camaro Hot Wheels Convertible, 2018 Dodge 3500 Diesel, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide White, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide Black, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
General Manager / Owner of CraneWorks Orlando
Vehicle Showcase

This was NOT a forced regen. It was a passive regen. A forced regen has to be initiated by a scanner or laptop. A passive regen is when your vehicle performs a regen while driving and you may not know its even happening. It will only perform a passive regen when the vehicle it at speed and the DPF is at temp. If you don't get to the conditions needed to perform a passive regen during the time frame it needs to perform one it will ask you to drive to meet them so it can run it. If you ignore it it will ask you again and if it is ignored to many times or not reached it will eventually derate the engine and eventually shut it down to 5 mph. At that point you have to get a forced regen or it will not start if shut off. I don't have a 3.0 yet but I will bet there is not a option to do a stationary regen. You would do that if you could not get the conditions met driving. There would be a switch on the dash to start the parked regen but the average car driver would get confuse doing that so car manufacturers do not give the option.

If you are unsure how this system works take some time and watch some videos on YouTube. The understanding of what it does and how will help you understand what the engine needs and why. It will also save you a lot of money in repairs someday.

Jelllo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
What does anyone know about this process? Got this message on the way to work this morning. First it said the filter was full, then this message and then it said regeneration completed. Wondering if I should be worried.

20200217_055842.jpg
Nothing to worry about, but you are probably spending too much time driving in town. Take it on the highway for a good burn once in awhile.

Motoristx

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.0 Diesel
Build Thread
Link
I have yet to see a regen message, however, on my way to work this morning I noticed something odd. I had set my cruise control to 55, as I was running earlier than expected and the highway has some construction going on. I noticed my MPG dropped to 22-23 for the majority of the drive into work. Right before I got to work it popped back up to 32 MPG. This is on a very flat section of road.

upload_2020-3-22_5-40-11.jpeg

I'm wondering if this was a regen and I somehow missed the message, if I have a setting that turns the message off that I'm not aware of, or if this is just a fluke of the computer measuring the flow of fuel.

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I have yet to see a regen message, however, on my way to work this morning I noticed something odd. I had set my cruise control to 55, as I was running earlier than expected and the highway has some construction going on. I noticed my MPG dropped to 22-23 for the majority of the drive into work. Right before I got to work it popped back up to 32 MPG. This is on a very flat section of road.

I'm wondering if this was a regen and I somehow missed the message, if I have a setting that turns the message off that I'm not aware of, or if this is just a fluke of the computer measuring the flow of fuel.
Hi @Motoristx,
Thank you for reaching out here. If this concern persists, we do recommend having your dealer take a closer look. Of course, feel free to reach out to our team via private message anytime for additional support.

Kathryn
JeepCares

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
I understand short drives preventing engine to reach optimum temps and excess idling causes soot to accumulate in the DPF.
How much is excess idling? The only idling I do is on the stop lights (if I turned off ESS) or when I do a minute or two idling before shutting down engine after a long highway drive.
My driving is 80% highway. Hopefully I never get to experience a forced regen. With high ambient temps in Las Vegas, I quickly get to above 200F oil temp within 5 miles of low load driving before I put some load on it. I get to above 212F oil temps everyday at least twice for 15-20 mnutes. With this kind of driving, I guess I should not see a forced regen I hope. Otherwise, diesel engine is not for me. :)

bruno747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I understand short drives preventing engine to reach optimum temps and excess idling causes soot to accumulate in the DPF.
How much is excess idling? The only idling I do is on the stop lights (if I turned off ESS) or when I do a minute or two idling before shutting down engine after a long highway drive.
My driving is 80% highway. Hopefully I never get to experience a forced regen. With high ambient temps in Las Vegas, I quickly get to above 200F oil temp within 5 miles of low load driving before I put some load on it. I get to above 212F oil temps everyday at least twice for 15-20 mnutes. With this kind of driving, I guess I should not see a forced regen I hope. Otherwise, diesel engine is not for me. :)

Excess Idling would be more like doing a remote start 30 minutes before you leave the house. Or perhaps say the significant other drags you along shopping and you idle the jeep in the lot for more than 10-15 minutes waiting on them to come back out.

Essentially idling in the drive way for just a few minutes before leaving to cool down with AC or heat the seats/steering wheel up, as well as idling at lights, even idling in a traffic jam as long as your not sitting for an excessive time is okay.

When the 1500 ecodeisels were starting to get a few miles under their belts, users on the ram 1500 diesel forum had some ratio they preferred when looking at the engine hour meter in the EVIC. Essentially they wanted to make sure the truck wasnt being used as a work truck with it idling in lots for hours on end. I dont recall what the ratio was anymore but I can say even with florida traffic jams, my engine hour meter at 36,000 miles had less than 24 hours idling on it and way more driving hours. That number probably would have been lower still if I didnt idle it in parking lots waiting on people in the florida sun in a black truck. Gotta have that AC or melt.

In vegas you are probably fine with the driving you described. The previous ecodiesels seemed to be much more cantankerous when they were from a cold area say northern US/Canada where it takes alot to heat up the system enough to do a regen. Cold weather also significantly adds to the amount of soot the engine puts out, so its a double whammy.

I know during the winter our Grand Cherokee had issues putting out enough heat to keep the cabin warm crossing Kansas via I70. These little diesel engines just dont put out a lot of heat unless towing and even then its remarkably cool.

bruno747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

This was almost certainly a regen. The message only comes on if the regen process has been interrupted too many times and requires one to keep the DPF from getting so bad it requires physical service.

Perfectly normal. My Ram ecodiesel would do the same thing heading home down palm beach boulevard, a very flat road. It would go from 31-35 instant to 22-26. In 36,000 miles I never once had my truck tell me it required me to do a regen because with the driving I did then it always had a chance to complete one silently.

Your post is exactly what I was describing earlier when I said that anyone who watches their vehicle carefully and listens carefully will be able to tell when a regen is happening. If you had parked the jeep at that point and shut it off you would have likely heard the exhaust ticking like mad since it was getting up to some pretty astronomical temps during the regen and suddenly has no airflow to cool it back down.

Keep an eye on these things, listen to the vehicle and you will get to the point that you know when it running one so you go on past the house until it completes turn aroudn and then go home. I did this a couple times just skipped my turn off palm beach and continued on to labelle until it finished, whipped a U turn at the next stop and headed home. Regen completes, truck is happy, all is right with the world and I just got home 5-10 minutes later than normal.

Again the message (force regen) come on when the vehicle is driven to short to often to complete a silent regen, or the silent regen gets interrupted too many times.
Sponsored