Sponsored

Jumping your Jeep..... who has done it with a battery pack?

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I am aware that ONE poster— @Blu bi Kong —- here has used a JNC 660 battery pack to jump his Jeep. Has anyone else been successful using a battery pack to jump his/her Jeep and, if so, which brand/model jumper pack? And, which engine? 3.6L or 2.0T BSG?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Sponsored

HamiltonGuy

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLSU
Is the boost immediate, or do you leave the battery pack connected to charge up the aux battery or something like that? I read somewhere it isn't just a matter of connect and start it up.

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
It would seem that one could power a small city with that thing!

‘thanks!
When it comes to recovery gear and safety stuff, I always figure go with best you can afford and or reasonably carry. Yeah it holds a decent amount of power but if I’m in the wilderness and need to hike I’ll take all the portable power I can for phone and ham.

OP
OP
Dkretden

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Is the boost immediate, or do you leave the battery pack connected to charge up the aux battery or something like that? I read somewhere it isn't just a matter of connect and start it up.
Dino, while your question is important, I am trying to focus this thread on the actual jumper itself. It looks, so far, that 3 will work:
JNC 660, with 1700amps
NOCO GB640 with 1000 amps
And
NOCO GB150 with 4000 amps

others?

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
I think you want to leave it connected for a bit.

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
This depends on your setup. The 3.6 AUX battery is a POS and costly to repair and frequently fails; if I had it I would be switching to a dual battery setup.

The 2.0 E-torque you just fire and go, no waiting etc. The 48v battery is waiting patiently to charge the 12v. All you need is to get the motor started and it will handle the rest via control modules.

The 2020+ 2.0 non BSG I would also get a dual battery setup as I think it’s got the same POS Aux battery the 3.6 received.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I jumped my JLUR with a cheap Costco pack. Hooked it up and immediately started it. The vehicle doesn't know which brand it is. All that matters is how much capacity the battery in the jump pack has and how big the cables are.

OP
OP
Dkretden

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I jumped my JLUR with a cheap Costco pack. Hooked it up and immediately started it. The vehicle doesn't know which brand it is. All that matters is how much capacity the battery in the jump pack has and how big the cables are.
Do you know the specs, by chance, of the Costco pack?

and, 3.6 or 2.0T BSG?

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
...and, I'd imagine, how much power is in the battery/batteries (3.6L there's two) even if they lack adequate power to crank the engine

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
To build upon @Rploaded's response Dino, the answer to this question is likely to be determined by which JL you have (e.g. 3.6L or 2.0L) and how you hook up the jumper cables.

Take the 3.6L. The owner's manual calls for you to sit with energized jumper cables for a while on the main battery's posts. This is for the purposes, more than anything else, of charging the ESS/Aux battery, which is connected in parallel to the main battery when the 3.6's at rest. Yes, you are charging the main battery too here, but it's really that ESS/Aux battery that much have a threshold of power or the 3.6L won't even attempt the crank.

Yes--that crank is powered by both batteries, (If available--see below) but it won't even be attempted if the ESS/Aux battery, tested in isolation first by the 3.6L, shows as lacking a certain threshold of power. Funny enough, with both batteries topped off you could crank and run your 3.6L on the ESS battery alone, but not the main battery alone. It's a long story as to why, and I can link video demonstrating this if you wish.

It's funny how you mention how long to wait. I debated here (with our resident expert @Jebiruph) hooking up a power pack to the positive post of the main battery, and the temporarily disconnected cables normally connected to the main battery's negative post, all while jumpering, with a fuse, terminals N1 and N2 in the Power Distribution Center.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-any-jumpstart-tips.12316/page-11#post-986785

That's a mouthful if your not already acquainted with this stuff. The idea was to hook up in parallel to only the ESS battery and immediately crank, not wasting precious jumper pack power on charging a main battery that once the rig is cranked, the alternator will charge.
Sponsored